• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Bit off topic but did many G&GRers get Tahs Lions tickets in the pre sale? Just snared me and some mates platinum seats. Will this game be a sell out?

I would bet that all the Lions games in the big cities will be sold out.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would bet that all the Lions games in the big cities will be sold out.

Particularly those on Saturday nights.

Compared to the tests these games are so much cheaper and more accessible because of that. There should be a lot more British & Irish expats with only a casual interest in rugby at these games and also Aussie rugby fans who balked at the test match prices.

Of course many people going to a test will also go to the tour game in that city as well.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There will be a big travelling Lions supporters group, it will be really interesting to see how many come.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chieks could use plenty of these blokes throughout the season though, let's remember he didn't have complete influence over 1-35 of the squad he was given.

I think their use will be limited. I think it will be more of a case of whittling down the non-contracted players into a small group he really wants to keep around the contracted squad for the season.

As much as everyone has made a big deal about him not being able to select who his players are, the reality is that he has a good squad and aside from a couple of players I doubt he'd want a completely different squad to what he has.

It's not like there are a large collection of excellent players sitting around without Super Rugby contracts.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Chieks could use plenty of these blokes throughout the season though, let's remember he didn't have complete influence over 1-35 of the squad he was given.
true. also from what my mate at the tahs tells me when the team lost a trial game to the national academy team Cheika was quite impressed with the Nat guys and thats how they picked up invites. This may be his way of blooding them for coming seasons

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Giveen Chieka was very reluctant to thrown in untried youngsters in Leinster and Stade, one example being he only picked Sexton at 10 when Contepomi was crocked and Naweca was covering outher injuries, means I think if push came to shove he'd shuffle around more experienced options and have them out of position before throwing in any young untried youngsters.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Giveen Chieka was very reluctant to thrown in untried youngsters in Leinster and Stade, one example being he only picked Sexton at 10 when Contepomi was crocked and Naweca was covering outher injuries, means I think if push came to shove he'd shuffle around more experienced options and have them out of position before throwing in any young untried youngsters.

maybe, but he has to potentially find replacements for Palu, Timani & Barnes (that we know of) for next season.

A bit of discovery now and some off the books development may be valuable.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think their use will be limited. I think it will be more of a case of whittling down the non-contracted players into a small group he really wants to keep around the contracted squad for the season.

As much as everyone has made a big deal about him not being able to select who his players are, the reality is that he has a good squad and aside from a couple of players I doubt he'd want a completely different squad to what he has.

It's not like there are a large collection of excellent players sitting around without Super Rugby contracts.

Whilst your right, odds are his ideal squad would be 95% the same to the old coach's but I always think a coach is more willing to back his personal project player rather than the last coach's.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Probably wishful thinking, but there are there any feeds of the trial games? Foxsports doing anything online again?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Chieks could use plenty of these blokes throughout the season

If you're talking about the Tahs invited players, I doubt if he will use too many of them in 2013 but if there are a couple of injuries in a position he will more likely cherry-pick players from the Shute Shield once it gets going. That's supposing there are any decent players left.

As I said at the end of last year: the Invited Player group does not purport to be the next best players in the city. They are in the main promising players who have the time to train with the Tahs unpaid, and are hoping for a break.

AJ Gilbert is an exception and may well be the backup for Hooper at 7 until McCutcheon comes right, despite that not being the position we are accustomed to see him playing in.

Having said that David Hickey, the Sydney Uni 7, has looked impressive in training. I would have AJ and him ahead of Ale as a standby.

Another with promise is 13 Elijah Nifo who played for the Melbourne Storm feeder team, though I can't remember seeing him play for Easts last year; so who knows?

The experienced props Aho and Maraki look too light to play Super Rugby and Borzak, Latu and M. Ala'alatoa are too inexperienced.

10 David Horwitz was at school last year, 8 Samu plays too light and Big Willie has a long way to go.

This is as we speak - I wouldn't write any of those players off for future years.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
10 David Horwitz was at school last year, 8 Samu plays too light and Big Willie has a long way to go.

Lee, I saw Horwitz at Moore Park on Wednesday.
Can you tell me where he's at in terms of a club team and what the ARU kit he was wearing would be?
Has he been training all summer with the Tahs? what sort of involvement does he have in terms of training - does he ever run at 5/8 with the ball, for instance?
Just interested to see what I can glean from the way they treat young blokes like him and the extent to which they are inside the tent compared to older more experienced club players who might be hanging out for a call up in the event of injury.
Cheers.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
No idea about his club team. I'll ask him next week.

When you saw him was he training with the others? I ask that because this (calendar) year he has been hobbling around just getting a leg back in shape.

I was up in Nelson Bay on Tue and Wed; so missed training this week and have no idea what ARU kit he was in. What kind of kit? Not 2012 Oz Schools trackies were they?

Before his injury he was doing exercises like any other flyhalf as first receiver but since the longer versions of the exercises have been taking place (in January) Foley, Lane and Volavola have been the ones playing first receiver.

The Wallabies didn't do a lot in January so Barnes did less than the others in the sessions I saw.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When I catch the bus home in the afternoon I sometimes see rugby players training at Bus Loop Oval in what looks like an Aussie kit. I assume this is the same group IS has seen.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
slightly off topic but related to previous posts above on Horwitz.

Horwitz has a long history with Easts as a junior (prior to being put in cotton wool by scots).

He has been rumoured to be moving to the Wicks, possibly on the back of association with Stallion Rugby and Wade Kelly.

George Smith has reported him as going to Sydney Uni as a student on Business Studies or similar. As an actual student, it would make some sense for him to turn out for Uni.

Bottom line - could be Easts, Uni, or Wicks. Time will tell.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Most of the Scots and Cranbrook players play schools on saturday and Easts Juniors on Sunday... Mind you I would not be surprised if he turns out for Uni if he is studying there, if nothing else then for the sake of convenience.

Also they probably have a better development program

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sounds like you're letting us down gently, uncle lee.

[As to why I said the teams weren't apples for apples.]

Ha - I was just a bit bemused why all our invited players who were fit were named for the trial and the Rebels named only Super Rugby and EPS guys in their 28.

Since then the penny has dropped. The Tahs have more players from the Wobs EOYT in their squad than the Rebels do; also Fitzpatrick is out for the season, Chapman who replaced him hasn't arrived yet and McCutcheon won't be match fit for quite a while.

Also it looks like they didn't think that Turner was match fit yet, though he has been training well lately, and EPS players Lane and Holloway were not named.

Holloway has been absent for a while and it's a pity that he will miss the trial as he has been impressive in training. Lane was very proppy in December but seemed to be training full on in January - so he must have got a knock.

The Tahs have 12 Wobs and 5 others absent from their squad of 35 players. That would have left them with 18 guys which meant they needed all those 10 invited players named to play in the trial.

Because they had fewer EOYT Wobs and absentees the Rebels were able to name their 28 players from their 35 man squad.

Their 3rd scrummie, Kingi, is absent though and must be injured. I would have given Zacker the whole game and left Phipps on the bench rather than have him start in the 1st half.

Their 1st half team looks like their best side except for missing Beale and Higginbotham. Our part-timers are in for a dose of cruel reality though it should be better for them after oranges.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No idea about his club team. I'll ask him next week.

When you saw him was he training with the others? I ask that because this (calendar) year he has been hobbling around just getting a leg back in shape.

I was up in Nelson Bay on Tue and Wed; so missed training this week and have no idea what ARU kit he was in. What kind of kit? Not 2012 Oz Schools trackies were they?

Before his injury he was doing exercises like any other flyhalf as first receiver but since the longer versions of the exercises have been taking place (in January) Foley, Lane and Volavola have been the ones playing first receiver.

The Wallabies didn't do a lot in January so Barnes did less than the others in the sessions I saw.

Not trackies.
He was walking back up Driver Ave with someone who looked like a coach and another "player" - my eldest recognised him - conversation went something like:
IS: do you know those guys?
Son of IS:why the f*** would I know them? One of them was the scots 5/8
IS: Kellaway
Son of IS: no you frigging dickhead..the other bloke
IS: Horwitz?
Son of IS: Yes...
IS: What's he doing?
Son of IS: How the f*** would I know?

ARU academy????? (I have no idea if there is one or what they do or wear): Starsky & Hutch like I caught him in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: mjw

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
[As to why I said the teams weren't apples for apples.]

Ha - I was just a bit bemused why all our invited players who were fit were named for the trial and the Rebels named only Super Rugby and EPS guys in their 28.

Since then the penny has dropped. The Tahs have more players from the Wobs EOYT in their squad than the Rebels do; also Fitzpatrick is out for the season, Chapman who replaced him hasn't arrived yet and McCutcheon won't be match fit for quite a while.

Also it looks like they didn't think that Turner was match fit yet, though he has been training well lately, and EPS players Lane and Holloway were not named.

Holloway has been absent for a while and it's a pity that he will miss the trial as he has been impressive in training. Lane was very proppy in December but seemed to be training full on in January - so he must have got a knock.

The Tahs have 12 Wobs and 5 others absent from their squad of 35 players. That would have left them with 18 guys which meant they needed all those 10 invited players named to play in the trial.

Because they had fewer EOYT Wobs and absentees the Rebels were able to name their 28 players from their 35 man squad.

Their 3rd scrummie, Kingi, is absent though and must be injured. I would have given Zacker the whole game and left Phipps on the bench rather than have him start in the 1st half.

Their 1st half team looks like their best side except for missing Beale and Higginbotham. Our part-timers are in for a dose of cruel reality though it should be better for them after oranges.

Excellent update: dont like the sound of that 12 + 5 absent!!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hmmm - I see that they are using the dial of "Double D" (Dave Dennis) on the advertising for the Crusaders trial game.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=WARACRUS13#.UQvHDfLGN3M

That should shorten his price of being the Tahs captain.

Here's another clue.
Dennis talking ..jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.