• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Pretty much everyone except the Wallaby EOYT players are going to Hobart, but it's interesting that there are 6 props. Tilse may be have been named as VC but is Cheika giving him a wakeup call?

Looks like 3 others queued up behind and pressing him for LHP.

Jeremy Tilse (vice captain)
Michael Ala'alatoa (Southern Districts)*,
Dane Maraki (Manly)*
Tolu Latu (Sydney University)*

Richard Aho (Randwick)*
Wayne Borzak (Warringah)*

Latu has been training as a reserve hooker since the season ending injury to Fitzpatrick

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Or maybe Tilse is a hard working senior player who has the respect of the coach and the squad.
The guy's entering his 9th season with the Waratahs, so no one can deny him 'senior status'.
The volunteer gear guys are probably hard working and have the respect of the coach and squad too.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Latu has been training as a reserve hooker since the season ending injury to Fitzpatrick

Ta. Okay that makes sense. So he's got 4 front rows.

1 Robbo ║ J.Tilse ║ Ala'alatoa║ Maraki
2. T P N ║ Ulugia ║ L.Holmes║ Latu
3. Kepu ║ P.Ryan ║ R. Aho* ║ Borzak

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

From the same article it looks like Foley has first call on 10 and Barnes will take 12. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) would have the mortgage on 13 so it looks like Horne to the pine. Unless injuries occurred prior to the season start, someone was always going to get hurt on selection. Everything depends on the trials though; if Folau doesn't come up OK in the trials then either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Barnes go to fullback and Horne gets a reprieve.

Reading between the lines and remembering LG's comments on Folau's skills in training, it does look like Cheika thinks Folau is going to be ready sooner rather than later. Reminds me of the way Rogers came on board.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The guy's entering his 9th season with the Waratahs, so no one can deny him 'senior status'.
The volunteer gear guys are probably hard working and have the respect of the coach and squad too.

Tilse is a good, athletic LHP, he just has Robinson in front of him.

He was wanted by other franchises, but preferred to stay in Sydney

He isn't a great THP and that means he doesn't get the bench spot for the Tahs because Robinson & Kepu cover LHP with Ryan & Kepu cover THP.

If the two reserve prop rule was in play he would be Robinson's replacement each week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So the planned backline appears to be

9 McKibbon
10 Foley
11 Mitchell
12 Barnes
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Turner
15 Folau

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lets hope Folau doesn't turn out like Cooper Vuna who was being heralded as a 12 after the Rebels early trials only to be found out when the Super season started. I don't think this is the case and am keen to see him in action at 15 this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lets hope Folau doesn't turn out like Cooper Vuna who was being heralded as a 12 after the Rebels early trials only to be found out when the Super season started. I don't think this is the case and am keen to see him in action at 15 this year.

he has a bit better pedigree than Vuna, but I don't expect him to hang around long enough to find out how good he is.

Reactions: BPC

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
he has a bit better pedigree than Vuna, but I don't expect him to hang around long enough to find out how good he is.

Agreed, fp. My mail is that he is likely to be in Canterbury Bulldogs' colours from season 2014; (given the source I'm giving it more weight than a "Wielder scoop").

Still Folau has plenty to play for this year with the potential personal milestone of making the Wallabies to take on the Lions. That must not only be a strong motivating factor that should result in some strong performances for the Tahs but could translate into more financial incentives payable, regardless of the code in which he's playing.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think not. Tilse represents everything that is wrong with Australian rugby scrummaging.

A converted backrower who after 9 seasons is still a poor scrummager. Has only played a handful of Super games and really is not up to it. So lets start looking for the next converted backrower or here is an idea lets pick our props based on their primary job - scrummaging.

Good on Tilse for sticking with the Tahs behind such a pecking order, he could be playing consistently for any other franchise I reckon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think not. Tilse represents everything that is wrong with Australian rugby scrummaging.

A converted backrower who after 9 seasons is still a poor scrummager. Has only played a handful of Super games and really is not up to it. So lets start looking for the next converted backrower or here is an idea lets pick our props based on their primary job - scrummaging.

I disagree with this.

Tilse has only ever had a backup role and he has remained loyal to the Waratahs. It's hard to find players that will stay with your team when they're only ever going to get very limited game time.

Tilse is a perfectly good scrummager for a 4th-5th choice prop.

The props who are the best scrummagers are generally in starting roles at the various Super Rugby franchises. They don't stay at a franchise where they don't make the matchday side when everyone is fit.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

just for the purposes of clarity, just who are better scrummagers at LH in Aus?

because apart from Robinson we don't have any that can do anything against a reasonable THP except hang on

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Agree. There were a couple of stories in the press about how Vuna was going to walk into the 12 jersey for the Wallabies. In the game against the Waratahs, his positional play was so poor that by the second half, he chose to join every ruck he could manage in an effort to lessen his embarrassment.

Credit to all that he became a Wallaby after that farce.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Richard Harry was a success.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Everybody says Tilse is a lousy scrummager, and he has played some poor games at LHP in Shute. But in his favour, he has had to step in after injuries to Robinson and others in previous years and has never EVER let the side down. He didn't blow the oppostion off the park but, to my recollection, he never once got pushed around when the scrums were called. Why do I remember that? Because I spent most of those games with my heart in my mouth waiting for it to happen; happily it never did.

To back up Fatprop: Apart from Robinson at LHP and Palmer at THP we do not have a prop capable of destroying a good scrum in Australia. We should have moved heaven and earth to keep Palmer at the Tahs, but management then had other priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.