• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am sure he has his plans but I would of thought the best use of the trial was to establish combinations.

On the other hand what he is saying to the Wallaby players is that I don't give a shit if you are a Wallaby as these fellas are hungry for your spot and it is open to whoever earns it. Given he surely has a mandate to reform the culture within the player group, this is a most plausible explanation. If I were a Tahs fan I would be very encouraged by this approach.

You're right and I'm very encouraged by the approach. All the noises coming out of the Waratahs indicate:
  • that the best available players will be picked for super matches regardless of reputation or past selections,
  • players who can't or won't play the style of play dictated by the coach will be very low down the pecking order,
  • the team will be employing an expansive game (without neglecting forward play)
  • fitness is paramount, particularly as it relates to the ability to execute and make decisions when fatiqued and/or under pressure

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The most promising thing about the Tahs for 2013 is that there has been no mindless, idle talking up of their chances either here, in the mainstream media or in their advertising.
That represents such a huge change that I'm tempted to think the culture might be on the turn.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The most promising thing about the Tahs for 2013 is that there has been no mindless, idle talking up of their chances either here, in the mainstream media or in their advertising.
That represents such a huge change that I'm tempted to think the culture might be on the turn.

Absolutely, they seem intent on letting their actions speak for them. This seems to come from the coach down.

In the professional era when players often speak of themselves in the 3rd person and talk of their brand and coaches talk in cliches, technobabble or jargonese etc, it's so refreshing.

Orange Peeler

Peter Burge (5)
Unfortunately I am not expecting much from the Tahs in 2013, however I do expect the Tahs to be in the Super Rugby final series come 2014.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm expecting a lot from the Tahs in 2013, not necessarily the finals. But definitely a big improvement on last season in terms of attacking intent from the start of the season and improvements in accuracy and fitness throughout the season. Finals is asking a bit much but I certainly expect the Tahs to be on a very short list for most improved team from last year.

I agree with Orange Peeler on expecting them to be pushing for finals in 2014 but a huge amount of work towards that has to happen in 2013. I'm also expecting to see an improvement across the squad as I think we've struggled without our Wallaby players. Sure quality players will be missed but I'm expecting the guys who come in to step up and do a decent job. Then maybe we'll be the ones edging the close games.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm expecting a lot from the Tahs in 2013, not necessarily the finals. But definitely a big improvement on last season in terms of attacking intent from the start of the season and improvements in accuracy and fitness throughout the season. Finals is asking a bit much but I certainly expect the Tahs to be on a very short list for most improved team from last year.

I agree with Orange Peeler on expecting them to be pushing for finals in 2014 but a huge amount of work towards that has to happen in 2013. I'm also expecting to see an improvement across the squad as I think we've struggled without our Wallaby players. Sure quality players will be missed but I'm expecting the guys who come in to step up and do a decent job. Then maybe we'll be the ones edging the close games.

Pretty much agree with that. The expectation should be for a big improvement in style in 2013. Finals, you never know, as the conference system can throw up some strange results and those last 2 spots could come down to bonus points or a lucky win/unlucky loss. Higher expectations in 2014.

It seems to me that the preparation so far has been as good as it could be and should minimise the effects of Wallaby players missing games.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the Tahs cannot win the conference this season there is no particular reason that they should be able to do any better the following season, unless there are a couple of big acquisitions in the wings. Like a half-back, for example.

Orange Peeler

Peter Burge (5)
The issue for me is that Michael Cheika is dealing with a player roster that was in most cases in place before he was appointed. My crystal ball prediction is that there maybe a player culling process midway through this season once Cheika has determined who is up for it and who is not. I don't see Mr Cheika carrying passengers and nor should he. New blood will be introduced into the Tahs late in the 2013 season in preparation for the 2014 campaign.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If the Tahs cannot win the conference this season there is no particular reason that they should be able to do any better the following season, unless there are a couple of big acquisitions in the wings. Like a half-back, for example.

Other than having a year of playing together under the coach and the fact that the coach will have the opportunity to recruit/release players of his choosing.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haven't seen many things of Cliffy this pre-season or seen him in any pictures. Does anyone know if he's training, fit to go, injured, been training?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't know; the Brumbies and Reds had decent seasons last year, have retained good squads, have combos more settled. The Tahs have a good squad, but the other stuff is undeveloped as yet. It'll be a tough conference to win.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The issue for me is that Michael Cheika is dealing with a player roster that was in most cases in place before he was appointed. My crystal ball prediction is that there maybe a player culling process midway through this season once Cheika has determined who is up for it and who is not. I don't see Mr Cheika carrying passengers and nor should he. New blood will be introduced into the Tahs late in the 2013 season in preparation for the 2014 campaign.

Pretty much what Link inherited at the Reds and he made it work. The Tahs need a season like the Reds in 2010. Make their game more palatabe and leave nothing on the paddock. They will win some and they will lose some. I think they will fall short of the finals but the energy will be back in the franchise, the fans back on boar with enhanced passion and they will be the talk in the community. It may take a bit more time to click than the Reds because Mooney laid a lot of the attacking groundwork in 2009.

I think the tahs have the bulk of the Australian rugby community behind them as we all know this will be a massive boost for the game on a national scale.

Orange Peeler

Peter Burge (5)
Its early days at the moment but my current bet would be the Brumbies to finish in the top two with the Reds being the other, however I am interested to see how Richard Grant will go leading the Reds Machine. The Waratahs should finish mid table but could push for a second place finish if the Reds fail to fire. The Rebels should finish second from the bottom which leaves the Force with the wooden spoon. I also believe that there is a very high chance that the Australian Conference will have only one team in the finals.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Its early days at the moment but my current bet would be the Brumbies to finish in the top two with the Reds being the other, however I am interested to see how Richard Grant will go leading the Reds Machine. The Waratahs should finish mid table but could push for a second place finish if the Reds fail to fire. The Rebels should finish second from the bottom which leaves the Force with the wooden spoon. I also believe that there is a very high chance that the Australian Conference will have only one team in the finals.
Some unknown factors this year,
Chieka and the Tahs appear to be working hard under the radar,
New Coach at the reds,
Rebs finished last year with some strong games - dark horse if JOC (James O'Connor), And Beale work and 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 work there may be an upset or two.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Not sure if, at this stage, there's that much between the top 3 Aussie teams.

Young Brumbies had a great season 2012, have a great coach in Jake White plus Pocock.
Waratahs have new coach and playing style and have plenty of talent.
Reds were hampered by injuries in 2012 and were inconsistent. Graham didn't exactly set the world on fire at the Force, so I'm interested to see how that goes.
Rebels will play a positive style, but will probably fall short.
Force - Michael Foley.

Who knows with the Waratahs, it might just all click from game 1, they get on a roll, and confidence and fitness get them over the line in the close games.

For the sake of Australian rugby, I hope that at least 3 of the teams are firing and winning matches this year.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Aussie conference should definitely be competitive this year, what I'm also interested to see is if that competitiveness will drive the Aus franchises to perform better against the SA & NZ teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Haven't seen many things of Cliffy this pre-season or seen him in any pictures. Does anyone know if he's training, fit to go, injured, been training?

Yeah he was training last Friday - but the Wallaby forwards have had a very light load. They've been training together and not been at each other full blast though a few joined the full on segments of the other groups from time to time.

The ones who came back a week early probably had the toughest time but Cliffy, TPN Kepu and a couple of others didn't come back until they were due - and that was after Wallaby camp.

The Wobs backs have been running around a lot. Barnes could hardly jog 10 days ago but he looked OK on Friday.

Cliffy looks OK. There was a bit of standing around on Friday because they were doing set-piece work; so I haven't seen him run around a lot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Ask him if his diet has changed much since moving back home rather than living with Nic White and Dan Palmer.

Even if the diet hasn't changed much, is he enjoying the cooking more at home?

Thanks for the questions that were offered but I didn't have time to ask many of them, at least in the form mentioned.

By the time I got around to the G&G forum questions I had run out of time but I did get a chance to ask your question Braveheart - his eyes lit up when I asked it.

The blog is here:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/rugby-is-fun-for-michael-hooper/

Status
Not open for further replies.