• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Quoted by FatProp in the Barbarians game thread was this chart:

Most Missed Tackles
1. Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs) 48
2. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 46 making 172
3. Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs) 44
4. Danny Cipriani (Rebels) 42
4. Quade Cooper (Reds) 42
6. Cooper Vuna (Rebels) 41
6. Nasi Manu (Highlanders) 41
8. Stephen Brett (Blues) 40
9. Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs) 38
10. Bjorn Basson (Bulls) 37
10. Julian Huxley (Rebels) 37
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/rugby/s...=1322533992678

from RugbyStats. I didn't see much of Pretorius last season, but does his #1 rating here portend problems for the Tahs in an area where Burgess was very strong for the last couple of seasons?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I also think that is a strong starting line up - but bench is not great. When Tahs get a few injuries I am afraid that they are going to be mediocre (AGAIN)

Dunno about that the bench options are pretty solid & flexible, especially when you add the eps units

Tilse\Ryan\Taukeiaho
Fitzpatrick\Ulugia
Douglas\Mumm\Peterson
Dennis\Metuisela\Lopeti Timani
McCutcheon
McKibbin\Hart
Foley\Halangahu\Kingston\Brackin-Henry\Pakalani\Trist

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What Super Rugby teams really have great depth on the bench and outside their best 22?

It is pretty much a fact of life in franchise sport (whichever sport you're talking about) that the depth falls away quickly if you lose a few of your key players.
Couple of those Kiwi sides look to me to be fairly deep with talent. I also think the Reds have pretty good depth for most positions except halfback, and five-eigth now Cooper is out.

By the way, what is wrong with a bench that includes two Wallabies?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Quoted by FatProp in the Barbarians game thread was this chart:

Most Missed Tackles
1. Sarel Pretorius (Cheetahs) 48
2. Nick Phipps (Rebels) 46 making 172
3. Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs) 44
4. Danny Cipriani (Rebels) 42
4. Quade Cooper (Reds) 42
6. Cooper Vuna (Rebels) 41
6. Nasi Manu (Highlanders) 41
8. Stephen Brett (Blues) 40
9. Sias Ebersohn (Cheetahs) 38
10. Bjorn Basson (Bulls) 37
10. Julian Huxley (Rebels) 37
http://www.rugbystats.com.au/rugby/s...=1322533992678

from RugbyStats. I didn't see much of Pretorius last season, but does his #1 rating here portend problems for the Tahs in an area where Burgess was very strong for the last couple of seasons?

It certainly changes things, but we will have to wait and see. Pretourious also provides a lot more running and back up than Burgo.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I hope Foley can do to the Tah's what he did to the Wallabies in 2009. We could really be a powerhouse at scrum time in 2012. Fuck the backline fancy tries, I would be just as happy to see us become the dominant scrummaging team in the comp.

In fact i'm going to put it out there that provided the Tah's don't get hit with a huge run of injuries; I think they will top the Aussie conference and make the final

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I hope Foley can do to the Tah's what he did to the Wallabies in 2009. We could really be a powerhouse at scrum time in 2012. Fuck the backline fancy tries, I would be just as happy to see us become the dominant scrummaging team in the comp.

In fact i'm going to put it out there that provided the Tah's don't get hit with a huge run of injuries; I think they will top the Aussie conference and make the final

Yeah neglect the backline, that's worked out well for you in the past.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
1-benn
2-TPN
3-sekop
4-vickers
5-timani
6-rocky
7-alcock
8-palu

If we can put that pack out consistently, watch out other teams at scrum time.

The only teams that will not be in a state of fear come scrum time will be the Crusaders, maybe the Blues, the Brumbies, maybe the Force, the Sharks and on reputation maybe the Bulls, but they've got huge turnover. Only the Crusaders will have a better scrum and even then that is not assured with Thorne no longer there. I just can't wait for round one if we can put that scrum on the park, Higgers and Samo will end up as props at least once before half time.

But as I posted earlier, I don't think that team will be available till later in the season, if at all, due to injury recovery issues.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Would be good to have them firing for the finals where a strong scrum will be very important.

I don't have much fear for the Crusaders scrum without Thorn. He imo will go down as the best scrummaging lock in history, quite an incredible feat for someone who succeeded in league as well. The Crusaders 2nd game against the Chiefs was extraordinary, Thorn was on the bench the Chiefs scrum was doing quite well, even forced the Crusaders into the odd penalty, all of a sudden Thorn comes on to replace Jack and with no other personnel changes the Crusaders began to dominate the Chiefs scrum, forcing penalties to seal the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Every team will get hit with a significant number of injuries. Teams that succeed adapt and use depth well. Teams that can't / won't will fail.
I wish I could share your optimism. The Tahs have dismayed me too many times. But I hope they go better than last year at the very least.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Couple of those Kiwi sides look to me to be fairly deep with talent. I also think the Reds have pretty good depth for most positions except halfback, and five-eigth now Cooper is out.

By the way, what is wrong with a bench that includes two Wallabies?

Actually the only place that the Reds are light is at 9. At 10 they have immediately available Harris and Lucas. I for one am looking forward to seeing who steps up there in Cooper's absence AND what tactics Link will employ as either of those parties present different strengths and weaknesses.

T

TOCC

Harris, Lucas and Lance are all the 5/8 candidates....

But I digress, this is a NSW thread

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Harris, Lucas and Lance are all the 5/8 candidates....

But I digress, this is a NSW thread

As a side point I find it hilarious that we all thinks it's obscure that Lucas splits his time between 9,10 and 15 whereas in France they wouldn't even bat an eyelid. Para was never internationally capped at 10 till they played England if I'm not mistaken.

I think he's just born in the wrong country.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aside from France, in recent years we've definitely seen some 'playmaking' halfbacks in the way of Fourie Du Preez and Genia...

Let's not pretend that Cooper is the brains of the Reds' backline...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Yeah neglect the backline, that's worked out well for you in the past.

I don't think they should neglect the backline but I do think they should play to their strengths. With Foley as coach Australia has an excellent opportunity to play a forward dominated game closer to NH teams or the Bulls in thh Super 14. I think they have the piggies this year to succeed and I would be just as happy to see this kind of play as opposed to the usual Australian flashy backline play with a bunch of pussies in the pack.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We have Alan Gaffney running the backs, so I see a marked improvement in the coaching focus and itellectual capacity
Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The only teams that will not be in a state of fear come scrum time will be the Crusaders, maybe the Blues, the Brumbies, maybe the Force, the Sharks and on reputation maybe the Bulls, but they've got huge turnover. Only the Crusaders will have a better scrum and even then that is not assured with Thorne no longer there. I just can't wait for round one if we can put that scrum on the park, Higgers and Samo will end up as props at least once before half time.

But as I posted earlier, I don't think that team will be available till later in the season, if at all, due to injury recovery issues.

I would be more concerned on actually capitalising on such domminance.

Status
Not open for further replies.