• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
As indicated by the article one of the factors used by the U.S. Department of Labor to evaluate whether a worker is a trainee or an employee is:

"The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees ..."

Using that criterion it is clear that the so-called Waratahs interns are in fact unpaid employees. This is manifestly the case with the Shute Shield position where there is an expectation that the intern will undertake a very onerous set of duties while being largely unsupervised.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
As indicated by the article one of the factors used by the U.S. Department of Labor to evaluate whether a worker is a trainee or an employee is:
"The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the trainees ..."

Using that criterion it is clear that the so-called Waratahs interns are in fact unpaid employees. This is manifestly the case with the Shute Shield position where there is an expectation that the intern will undertake a very onerous set of duties while being largely unsupervised.

Yes but it also probably means that many other so called "employees" are, in fact, trainees on the basis that the Tahs derive no immediate benefit...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce - what money can the Shute shield do without in order to funnel funds into this position?

I'm trying to think of the last time you and I were on different sides of a discussion, wj. My issue is that Media and Communications graduates are often so desperate to get a start that they will work for extended periods unpaid. I don't think much of the business ethics of organisations who take advantage of this, particularly in the blatantly exploitative manner that the Shute Shield position is being offered.

There are many businesses that have a need for additional employees, but if they can't afford to pay them they have to make do without.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes but it also probably means that many other so called "employees" are, in fact, trainees on the basis that the Tahs derive no immediate benefit...

Neat line, IS. For some reason your comment brought to mind the army of non-players who infest the field at the Football Stadium before the Waratahs play their home games.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm trying to think of the last time you and I were on different sides of a discussion, wj. My issue is that Media and Communications graduates are often so desperate to get a start that they will work for extended periods unpaid. I don't think much of the business ethics of organisations who take advantage of this, particularly in the blatantly exploitative manner that the Shute Shield position is being offered.

There are many businesses that have a need for additional employees, but if they can't afford to pay them they have to make do without.

I don't see it as bad. I'm in the film industry and taking unpaid work sometimes is the only way to seek advantage and get in to clicks that form in different companies.

I see this as no different. Isn't ideal but at the same time unpaid or not an extra body around the place doing there best to help is only good for the Shute shied to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.