• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
You really want to go down that qld vs nsw path? You'll open up one hell of a can of worms...

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
What's up with BKH? I had big hopes last year, and in typical waratah fashion I got nothing. Anyone know if his injuries are rehabbed?

I believe so, and same with Palu, who (quote Chris Webb) "Has been pulled apart and put back together bionically"

Cam Jowwit succumbed to a career ending ankle injury, he is now living with Brendan McKibben and doing a marketing degree while working for NSWRU's marketing department.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Hope he studies hard, NSW desperately need a marketing overhaul.

Edit: perhaps our marketing is shit because we employed an undergrad?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I believe so, and same with Palu, who (quote Chris Webb) "Has been pulled apart and put back together bionically"

Cam Jowwit succumbed to a career ending ankle injury, he is now living with Brendan McKibben and doing a marketing degree while working for NSWRU's marketing department.

So he's not filling the intern spot?

S

spooony

Would be interesting to see if Sarel Pretorius will have such a good year as last year. Hes playing behind a stronger pack

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The intern spot is still being advertised. An extension of my above argument: nswru want to get quality people, but not pay them? It's no wonder we can't do better than tpn on a taxi and "I'm walking on sunshine"

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The intern spot is still being advertised. An extension of my above argument: nswru want to get quality people, but not pay them? It's no wonder we can't do better than tpn on a taxi and "I'm walking on sunshine"
The intern spot is for the Shute Shield, not for the Waratahs

S

spooony

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The intern spot is for the Shute Shield, not for the Waratahs

This gets even more ridiculous. There are in fact two separate unpaid media intern positions being advertised - one for the Shute Shield (applications close tomorrow so be quick) and the other for Waratahs' match day media operations. Unpaid intern positions are very common in the US, the justification being that the intern gains some career specific experience but because they require close supervision and are not usually particularly productive they do not merit receiving any remuneration. In practice of course, interns are often used primarily to decrease labour costs.

This would certainly appear to be the case with the Shute Shield intern position; an absurdly demanding job specification with presumably very limited, if any, supervision. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that this is indicative of the contempt with which Driver Avenue officialdom views the great nursery competition of Australian rugby.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I believe the waratahs intern position has been running for a number of years. My mate who did marketing had to do a certain amount f work experience for his degree. I don't see why using someone in this manner is a bad thing, it's smart business.

As for the Shute shield, it comes down to more than just that position and you would have tp see a full brake down of payed positions within the sport compared to revenue etc to decide if this individual position is treated with any bias or contempt.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the Tahs should exist to provide money to the shute shield: otherwise they have no reason to exist

Theyhave been separate entities for a few years now, your gripe is with NSWRU not the waratahs.
There reason to exist is to field a team in the supeRugby competition, times have changed, there not rep sides anymore.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
the Tahs should exist to provide money to the shute shield: otherwise they have no reason to exist

Sorry, I have to disagree. The main reason for having a professional franchise is to provide a paid pathway for those players who are good enough, and who want to play as professionals. Certainly, if the franchise makes a surplus, over and above, then some of that should go to the club competition.

We will never, ever, have enough money to support the club scene comprehensively. Sadly.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why?
Why should an entity owned by NSWRU have that responsibility?
What is its return on capital - not just money but human capital: the human capital of the volunteers, juniors etc. etc.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I don't see why using someone in this manner is a bad thing, it's smart business.
it's smart up to a point. An Intern copying and mailing press releases is ok, but the description seems more involved than that. they are essentially ensuring a sub par candidate for what is an increasingly important position in this sport

Status
Not open for further replies.