• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratah Fan Forum

Waratah fan forum:

• Good idea

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I can't help thinking this forum idea is a really bad idea from the Waratahs. I don't believe it will actually achieve anything, and could lead to more anger.

If they are going to have forum then do it with a bunch of experts and former players, not the general public.

I thought so at first Scotty, but now I not so sure. Now if they do not take note of the issues and make some changes they cannot claim ignorance of their market place (not that any business should ever try that). The comments from the CEO struck the right cord with me and it appears that he went in with an open mind while the comments attributed to Hickey and Waugh indicate to me that they went in defensive and ready to deny the arguments they knew would come. Whilst I have been an ardant supporter of Waugh and believe that he has been a great player for NSW if he really does possess this attitude he should go as it will be a limitting factor in the Tahs moving on. I say also that the arrogance that Burke showed following the loss the the Cheetahs has left him tainted in the minds of the majority of fans and he to should go. They really do need to start with as much of a clean slate as possible and rebuild the culture from the ground up, otherwise they will be the almost but not quite team.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Am I the only one who does their piss drinking before the game and remains glued to their site for the duration, to then resume piss drinking afterwards? I don't want to miss any of the action, so I *never* knick off to the bar while the game is on.

I always have an earlier dinner at one of the pubs near the Barracks and wander down to the game in plenty of time then wander back and have a few sherberts before finding my digs for the night (unless its and early start and then its around the other way).

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
is there a transcript or a video of the event last night, the quotes in the paper had me in stiches. would love to see what was actually said.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought so at first Scotty, but now I not so sure. Now if they do not take note of the issues and make some changes they cannot claim ignorance of their market place (not that any business should ever try that). The comments from the CEO struck the right cord with me and it appears that he went in with an open mind while the comments attributed to Hickey and Waugh indicate to me that they went in defensive and ready to deny the arguments they knew would come. Whilst I have been an ardant supporter of Waugh and believe that he has been a great player for NSW if he really does possess this attitude he should go as it will be a limitting factor in the Tahs moving on. I say also that the arrogance that Burke showed following the loss the the Cheetahs has left him tainted in the minds of the majority of fans and he to should go. They really do need to start with as much of a clean slate as possible and rebuild the culture from the ground up, otherwise they will be the almost but not quite team.

Yeah I think it was the right thing for the Tahs to do and sometimes hearing the unfiltered message from your customers is hard to hear. But hear it you must every now and then. With what I've been hearing about Waugh recently, I must reluctantly concede that he may be part of the problem. Perhaps his leadership is actually holding the franchise back at this point.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It is most likely that every person at that forum that questioned the tahs knows a lot less about rugby than they do. This isn't a reason not to listen to them but it will be very difficult to filter the good comments from the bad and it is very likely that of the tahs will go in defensive. The other issue you will get from some forum attendees is that they would want to attend just to vent rather than engage. It seems there was a big lack if respect from some that were talking over speakers. It is rude and not going to lead to anything positive.

I have no doubt in my mind that a more controlled forum with past players, coaches, managers and even executives that aren't linked to the current organization would be more beneficial to the tahs long term.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It is most likely that every person at that forum that questioned the tahs knows a lot less about rugby than they do. This isn't a reason not to listen to them but it will be very difficult to filter the good comments from the bad and it is very likely that of the tahs will go in defensive. The other issue you will get from some forum attendees is that they would want to attend just to vent rather than engage. It seems there was a big lack if respect from some that were talking over speakers. It is rude and not going to lead to anything positive.

I have no doubt in my mind that a more controlled forum with past players, coaches, managers and even executives that aren't linked to the current organization would be more beneficial to the tahs long term.

Scotty the problem the Tahs are faced with is one of a revolt from their "shareholders" if you will. Meeting with the workers and managers from another competing company will doubt nothing at all to appease those disgruntled shareholders. The Tahs face a very real risk of going broke if they do not get significantly better attendances at their games. To borrow from the Mods, it is easy to filter the "White Noise" in any live forum so long as the MC sets strict controls including a requirement for common courtesy.

The other problem with your suggestion Scotty is that given the Tahs attitude to their own fans how do you think they would react to input from an Ex-Tahs coach (who is being lauded as the best coach in Oz ATM), an ex-Wallabies backline coach (who many regard with some derision) and who would show up from the Mules? The only Province coach in Oz who MAY get a reasonable amount of respect would IMO be Rod Macqueen, but consider that in the back of Hickey's mind (and some players) would be the result against the Rebels and Macqueens words would be weighed against this.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)

Agree entirely, Scotty. You echo the point I made earlier in this thread - forums are terrible ways of obtaining constructive advice! This is for a whole host of reasons; you don't get a true cross-section of people, there is a group mentality that forms, and usually only the most vociferous take the floor. Politicians only ever use forums for PR purposes. If they are looking for genuine feedback, they use focus groups. It's the only way of getting useful information out of people and allows you to really pick over the brain of someone - especially the reserved, thoughtful type of people (who are typically the most insightful).

Here's a question for you that were actually there, did the people on the floor look like they were there to genuinely listen and take on board your comments? The reports make me extremely doubtful (except, maybe, for Mitchell). Sounds like they were there to try and explain what they were doing, in which case it was probably just a PR exercise (that failed miserably).

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My impression is that is was just a PR exercise. The stats quoted by Hickey and by Burke all support the notion that all is well,apart from the fact the the stupid punters can't see how good we are going.
There appears to be no desire to change anything within the Tahs camp.
In any event, when you have recruited a squad to play 10 man Rugby and are hanging by a thread to limp into the semis.Do you start playing a style that is not suited to your coaching or your playing staff?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
...in which case it was probably just a PR exercise (that failed miserably).

I agree it's a PR exercise, but it hasn't failed: yet. If the Tahs somehow come out, play Reds style attacking footy and make the finals, they'll be hailed as the people's side. If they come out, play that footy some people think is exciting and don't make the finals, they can turn around and say they told us so.

If they do nothing, then it will be a failure. If nothing changes on the field, there'll be big changes off the field. Like less spectators.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Reds don't play attacking football, they play broken play counter attack well and kick well for field position like demons.

Tahs should concentrate on the way they started the season and play there style, forward rugby can be great rugby.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
In fact, you may have a point about running down the road to the Captain Cook - at least they have decent beer.
So in 10 minutes you're going to get out of the ground, run 300 metres to the Captain Cook, down a beer, run 300 metres back, explain to security why your door pass has already being scanned and be back in your seat for the second half?

I like beer, I like rugby, and I especially like the two together. My time is limited, and Saturday night between 7.30 and 9.30 is pretty much prime drinking time in my mind. But at the SFS, it's like they go out of their way to make drinking and watching rugby an inconvenience.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do Roosters and Swans fans write the same things on their forums about beer lines at SFS and SCG? I mention Swans only because I know what cricket is like next door in summer.

Seems like a venue problem not a team one. And if the Tahs beat there chest and slam their fists and bring in their high-flying rugby mates to slam the gavel, what happens? They threaten to play at Redfern Oval? The public needs to send the assault to SCG/Centennial Parklands/State Govt. Moore Park houses NSW Cricket/Sydney Roosters/Sydney FC/Sydney Swans/AFL NSW-ACT/NSW Rugby/Waratahs Rugby and is also a sometimes-home ground to the Wests Tigers and Cricket Australia. These are the people who the public need to make their sentiments known to.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
A couple of things are certain from this:

Mumm: good on him for saying what he did today. We're all talking style, but unless we win two of the next three games (style aside), we're gone. We need to come back from South Africa building into our best footy in rounds 17 and 18 and launch a title assault with guys like Palu, Waugh and hopefully Vickerman, Horne coming back into the selection frame.

We need to rip in: not the players... us. The people have spoken. Hopefully the team will react. But this team will never be inspired by their fans if we sit on their hands and wait for them to fail so they can boo and say 'I told you so.' I want these guys to win. I want them to play well. I want to see skills, I want to see a bit of flash and I want to smile when I watch them.

So what am I going to do?

I'm going to yell my heart out from the moment they run out of the tunnel tomorrow night. I'm not going to clap them politely onto the field and wait to be entertained like a Roman senator. We are a part of this too. Let's do our part... it can only help them do theirs.

Let's f-ing go!

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
A couple of things are certain from this:

Mumm: good on him for saying what he did today. We're all talking style, but unless we win two of the next three games (style aside), we're gone. We need to come back from South Africa building into our best footy in rounds 17 and 18 and launch a title assault with guys like Palu, Waugh and hopefully Vickerman, Horne coming back into the selection frame.

We need to rip: not the players... us. The people have spoken. Hopefully the team will react. But this team will never be inspired by their fans if they sit on their hands and wait for them to fail so they can boo and say 'I told you so.' I want these guys to win. I want them to play well. I want to see skills, I want to see a bit of flash and I want to smile when I watch them.

So what am I going to do?

I'm going to yell my heart out from the moment they run out of the tunnel tomorrow night. I'm not going to clap them politely onto the field and wait to be entertained like a Roman senator. We are a part of this too. Let's do our part... it can only help them do theirs.

Let's f-ing go!

Excellent stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.