• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wallabies will be stronger if players like Beale can't crack the team and weaker if we try and shoehorn them in wherever we can.

People make the point often about Australia playing people out of position and that is certainly something we have been guilty of, but the perception that the All Blacks don't do it is a complete misnomer, particularly when it comes to fullbacks playing on the wing. Ben Smith and Charles Piutau have both played plenty of tests on the wing despite mostly playing fullback at Super Rugby level.

I'm not saying that Beale should be selected on the wing, but I don't have a problem with someone like Mogg playing Super Rugby at fullback and potentially earning a Wallaby spot on the wing.

In terms of Mogg it will be interesting to see how he goes this year. Like last year he has had a fantastic start to the season. Last year he couldn't maintain that. Hopefully for the sake of the Wallabies he can keep his form up for a whole season.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
People make the point often about Australia playing people out of position and that is certainly something we have been guilty of, but the perception that the All Blacks don't do it is a complete misnomer, particularly when it comes to fullbacks playing on the wing. Ben Smith and Charles Piutau have both played plenty of tests on the wing despite mostly playing fullback at Super Rugby level.

I'm not saying that Beale should be selected on the wing, but I don't have a problem with someone like Mogg playing Super Rugby at fullback and potentially earning a Wallaby spot on the wing.

In terms of Mogg it will be interesting to see how he goes this year. Like last year he has had a fantastic start to the season. Last year he couldn't maintain that. Hopefully for the sake of the Wallabies he can keep his form up for a whole season.

I think he got hurt.. the shoulder effected him alot.. I dont think his started like he did last year but his going good.

The Form last year was enough to beat Izzy to fullback.. That's no mean feat..

Mogg and White compared to the start of last year's form have become a bit inconsistent. There kicking was a thing of beauty, I loved how they could put a bomb up from anywhere and land it a metre out of the 22 so teams couldnt kick out on the full.... end of last season the test season the long kicks both of them do have been out on the full or not quite the same..

What I love is they still go for it... White kicked like 70 down field and was out by a bee's dick and izzy nearly pulled it in.. Just not as successful as start of 2013

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Mogg is a great pacey attacker and probably has the best general play boot in Aus. But he is rarely tested defensively or even under the high ball at super level.
The AB's bombs and general pressure from kicks in general play has been a weapon they have used against us for years successfully. Izzy with his ability under the high ball and physicality into contact has the ability to turn these kicks against them to our advantage. Mogg doesnt have great track record for performing under pressure. So i think Mogg's miles behind Izzy.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I think he got hurt.. the shoulder effected him alot.. I dont think his started like he did last year but his going good.

The Form last year was enough to beat Izzy to fullback.. That's no mean feat...

Mate, Folau had played about 10 games of rugby ever to that point. Mogg's a long way behind him at this point. He's an interesting player with a lot of upside, but there are some serious question marks over his readiness for Test rugby at the moment.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Mogg is a great pacey attacker and probably has the best general play boot in Aus. But he is rarely tested defensively or even under the high ball at super level.
The AB's bombs and general pressure from kicks in general play has been a weapon they have used against us for years successfully. Izzy with his ability under the high ball and physicality into contact has the ability to turn these kicks against them to our advantage. Mogg doesnt have great track record for performing under pressure. So i think Mogg's miles behind Izzy.
Lol you do realize Mogg out jumped izzy in the last game and izzy knocked it on.. I feel under a high ball Moggs great.. its his defence thats an issue

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Mate, Folau had played about 10 games of rugby ever to that point. Mogg's a long way behind him at this point. He's an interesting player with a lot of upside, but there are some serious question marks over his readiness for Test rugby at the moment.
Agreed :) there just a few thing's in his game which aren't up to scratch. . Defence.. and sometimes under pressure he isn't calm like izzy

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
At the moment, there is no chance that Mogg could displace Izzy at fullback. There is a chance he could take one of the wing positions - he would be a 14 if selected, so challenging Tomane / AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and then Speight when eligible. That would be a tough ask.
Badger is almost a shoe in at 11 this year, the other options are really Tomane or Betham.
At 12, it has to be To'omua. He has a great running game and can defend well. Lilo has a great defensive game but hasnt shown an attacking flair at test level. Godwin is also a great in attack and defence. He would be my second option. Lilo has the kicking game, but I am not convinced we should stifle our attack for an extra 5% in kicking. That isnt the Australian rugby way. Cooper can kick, JOC (James O'Connor) if he comes back can kick, Beale can kick, White can kick.

The discussion on the bench is missing the point IMO. We are talking about players because of the positions they can cover. That is part of it, but I think most modern players are capable of playing a number of positions. What I want to know, is what impact will they have when they come on. I dont think Lilo would be a good option because he wont make the most of a tiring opposition, he is either in the 15 or not in the 23. Beale on the other hand will tear it up of the bench. JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) too.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Seems to be a long while since true competition across the Wallaby team , i would hope to see Quade be more consistent than brilliant before i could support his selection , Folau is our ' winged keel ' if you know what i mean , opposition teams must account for him in their plans , for mine he is the only selection locked in so far .

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not sure how people think Mogg is in with a chance of even being in the 23? Not saying he's a bad player, I just don't think he's up to International Level at this stage, especially in terms of physicality. Plus he can be very up and down (look at the Reds game).

11- Nick Cummins
14- Ashley- Cooper (Kuridrani at 13)
15- Folau

22- Beale
23- Tomane

*Speight not eligble. If he was he'd be 14.

Realistically, Folau is never going to be replaced, so I can't see how Mogg fits in there, because I certainly wouldn't be bringing him onto a wing.

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
Cooper can kick, JOC (James O'Connor) if he comes back can kick, Beale can kick, White can kick.

GODDAMMIT FARVA!

JOC (James O'Connor) is not even eligbile at this point, Beale will be in the extended Squad and Nic will be on the bench most of the time. Quade, well Quade seems to lack the requisite test level quality in his kicking game - both for points and tactically. I would love to be proven wrong about QC (Quade Cooper)'s kicking because if he can nail tactical kicking with Izzy behind him it will be a very scary Wallabies team this year.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Residency requirements. Because he'd played ITM cup (2011?) His residency requirement starts from the end of that contract, rather than the beginning of the Brumbies one.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The problem in terms of goalkicking is that our two best kickers (when on form at least) Leali'ifano and Harris both lack the range of the best international kickers. Neither can kick the ball 50m with any reliability.

So on one hand we have two really accurate kickers but on the other, neither of them can kick the long range penalty goals which are the lowest percentage kicks. Perhaps that indicates that their success percentage is inflated due to the fact that they aren't even attempting some of the hardest kicks.

Certainly at this point in time Cooper is adequate at international level and is the one kicker we have who is pretty much a certainty in our starting team.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lol you do realize Mogg out jumped izzy in the last game and izzy knocked it on.. I feel under a high ball Moggs great.. its his defence thats an issue

I disagree, Izzy was the player who was able to get his hands on the ball but unfortunately knocked on. So IMO Mogg didn't win the collision Izzy lost it. Nice pressure from Mogg though but in reality Mogg was unlikely to catch and retain the ball.

There's the difference, Izzy 9 times out of 10 actually catches and retains possession. Mogg whilst not bad under the high ball doesn't retain possession as well as Izzy.

Consistency is also a factor. Izzy is consistent, Mogg I feel I hit or miss.

Agreed about his defence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mogg's biggest problem so far is that he tends to make more mistakes or go missing in the big pressure games.

Last Saturday night against the Waratahs was a big game and he was excellent so maybe he's starting to turn that around.

His problem last year was that his worst performances came in the most important games and test matches at the crunch end of the season.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Mogg's biggest problem so far is that he tends to make more mistakes or go missing in the big pressure games.

Last Saturday night against the Waratahs was a big game and he was excellent so maybe he's starting to turn that around.

His problem last year was that his worst performances came in the most important games and test matches at the crunch end of the season.

Really he was excellent againt the Lions in his game time and the bulls in the semis..

Yeah he wasnt great againt the all blacks but who is.. he has his faults but to suggest last ywar he wasnt good in critical games is wrong.. just inconsistent. . Big or small game.. and his no izzy

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Re read your post your right.. I dont think its a big game issue its a consistent issue

Status
Not open for further replies.