• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Folau's weakness in his kicking game is nowhere near the negative as Beale's weakness under the high ball. Much like Beale's kicking game as nowhere near the strength as Folau's strength under the high ball.

Add to that Folau's ball running is probably better than Beale's in 2010, though not quite as evasive his ability to break tackles is better.

If we had weaknesses at 13 or on the wing it may be worth moving Izzy to accommodate Beale. But we don't so it's not.

Anybody who thinks Beale is playing the house down now needs there head read too. There's been stand outs in this good Waratahs team so far and he isn't at the top of the list.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Speak for yourself, Beale has been in the top 3 backline performers in each game thus far. That said he's playing 12 and I don't see his Test future there at all. He's destined for the bench and would be a great utility player off it.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Folau's weakness in his kicking game is nowhere near the negative as Beale's weakness under the high ball. Much like Beale's kicking game as nowhere near the strength as Folau's strength under the high ball.

Add to that Folau's ball running is probably better than Beale's in 2010, though not quite as evasive his ability to break tackles is better.

If we had weaknesses at 13 or on the wing it may be worth moving Izzy to accommodate Beale. But we don't so it's not.

Anybody who thinks Beale is playing the house down now needs there head read too. There's been stand outs in this good Waratahs team so far and he isn't at the top of the list.

Spot on, on all counts. And while Beale hasn't been a standout, both McCabe and To'omua are much better picks at 12 than he is. Will be interesting to see him perform against Inman this week. If he is forced to crab by the strength of the defence, he might find he is further down the pecking order again.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
My current backline would look a lot like the one that toured the NH last year:

9, Genia
10, Cooper
11, [Not sure about this one]
12, To'omua
13, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Kuridrani (take your pick)
14, Cummins
15, Folau

KB (Kurtley Beale) might get a spot on the bench, but surely To'omua has 12 locked up and Folau at 15. You can't ignore how much they've smashed it at test level in their respective positions in the last year. I think Kurtley is a super player, but he's not better than either of those blokes at the moment, nor is he as good a test five-eighth as Quade.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So far I don't see too many threats to the current incumbents, aside from Palu regaining his spot.......

Sio is rising back up the ranks with some excellent all round performances, and I would argue that McCalman would be on the bench ahead of Higgers............

Speight should be fast tracked onto the ring wing when eligible, but until then we can play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on that wing with Kuridrani at 13 and then flip a coin later on..........

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Kane Douglas and Hugh Pyle possibly overseas at the end of the year....

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...explore-overseas/story-e6frg7o6-1226858524532

... or it's just contract time again.

It's a Bret Harris article so it's probably not true....

Think Hugh would rather get the gold jumper for now, as opposed to the 2nd div coin in France. Given the article gives it two lines and focuses on Kane, I put it down to perhaps a bit of manager or media fishing. Think Hugh is a good chance of wearing gold this year too, he has been playing well.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I have to agree with Oztimmay, Hugh Pyle could be wearing the gold sooner rather than later. Right now, who can run the lineout and has featured in the Wallabies or extended Wallabies squad? Off the top of my head, it's Simmons, Horwill, Higginbotham.

Horwill, who is likely to be Wallaby captain, ships the responsibility to Simmons, and Higginbotham is no guarantee in the 23.

That's why I think it's important to have Hugh in the squad; as a lock back-up to Simmons, more than capable of running the lineout. There are certainly question marks around his loose play and how he shirks the tight 5 duties. But if Link were to select him, I reckon Pyle would get stuck in into the tight work rather than 'seagull' on the wing if he was instructed to (I hope my naivety isn't apparent).

On Douglas, I'm not subscribed to the Murdoch press so can't read the article, but it sounds like his contract is up for negotiation, and he doesn't have an ARU top up, am I right in assuming? In any case, we need Douglas around as he is the only capped backup tight-head lock to Horwill, and he's now starting to come good. Why would he leave now, when Timani's departure has meant Douglas is a certainty as the bench lock, or starter if either Simmons or Horwill are injured?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I know it's a new season but I reckon you start with the team that did so well on the end of year tour last year, and just fit in a few standouts / players back from injury.

Agree,
I think this thread is just to share views after each round.

T

Tip

I know it's a new season but I reckon you start with the team that did so well on the end of year tour last year, and just fit in a few standouts / players back from injury.

This.

Perhaps we should establish the certainties for a Wallabies Jersey after the spring tour.

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy (at either 4/5/6)
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Cummins
12. To'omua
13. CFS
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (pretty much guaranteed to play 11/ 13 / 14)
15. Folau

Bolded are the guarantees.
Those in italics are who I would like to see in the team for the first match against France.

Yeah I want CFS at outside. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't pass. Kuridrani isn't much better and doesn't know how to jockey.

If Fardy plays 2nd row, McCalman or Higgers slots in on the side.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Think Hugh is a good chance of wearing gold this year too, he has been playing well.

Nope. He's regressed quite a way from last year IMO. Before he was playing a loose, but still physical, brand of footy. This year he's just not around. He's been largely carried, and overtaken, by Jones in these early days. Needs to lift massively in the next month or so if he wants to have any chance of wearing gold this year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah I want CFS at outside. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't pass. Kuridrani isn't much better and doesn't know how to jockey.

I know the whole AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't pass thing is a fairly widely held opinion and sometimes it is definitely true, but I think a substantial part of it relates to ball retention and coaching directives.

There were plenty of occasions for the Wallabies last year where the winger would have made more metres if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) passed, but would also have been a strong chance of being forced over the sideline or isolated and turned over.

Often I think the decision to hang onto the ball is so the team can retain possession for the next phase and go again.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I know the whole AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't pass thing is a fairly widely held opinion and sometimes it is definitely true, but I think a substantial part of it relates to ball retention and coaching directives.

There were plenty of occasions for the Wallabies last year where the winger would have made more metres if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) passed, but would also have been a strong chance of being forced over the sideline or isolated and turned over.

Often I think the decision to hang onto the ball is so the team can retain possession for the next phase and go again.

It's a nice easy trope for a lot of people to grab onto and bang on about. Of course in the next breath they'll start declaiming about the need for someone to straighten the line. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) isn't perfect, and he could work on his passing game, but he hasn't played 80-odd Tests by being a completely mug.

T

Train Without a Station

Kurindrani didn't show himself to be worth first crack at 13 this season barring form slump or injury? I thought he was quite good when he got to start actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.