• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Backrow of Hooper, Palu and Fardy for me with Higgers on the bench as an impact sub.

I think they will be all there abouts, but maybe with Fardy holding the that 5/6 bench spot and either Gill or another running 6/8 as well (McCalman, Jones or McMahon etc)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it would require a dramatic form reversal or injury for Fardy to lose the 6 jersey.......

At the moment the Wobs backrow should be:

6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Palu

McCalman definitely on the bech, and with Fardy's ability to cover lock we could also squeeze Higgers on the bench too........

T

Train Without a Station

I agree. Based on 2013 I would have had Higgers at 8, but he has had 2 average games on the trot now.

I would look at Luke Jones for the bench spot though. Has the game and physical attributes for 6 but has been doing the tight work at lock at the moment.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think they will be all there abouts, but maybe with Fardy holding the that 5/6 bench spot and either Gill or another running 6/8 as well (McCalman, Jones or McMahon etc)

Think Gill has missed his chances, barring injury. Hooper is a street ahead and the incumbent No7. As a 6, Gill just does not measure up to Fardy, Higgers, Jones, Cottrell or McMahon. McCalman at 8 has been very good this year, but still behind Palu and Higgers.

T

Tip

Tip said:
Pyle & Jones > Douglas & Timani
Keep up, it's 2014. He's not in Oz.

My point was that the Wallabies have never had a problem playing second rowers who are sub-par, so why should Pyle and Jones be written off.

Granted, I should have made that clearer

You pick props who can scrum, as everyone in Aus knows that shite scrums lose you the match.

The same applies for the Lineout, however the Wallabies lineout has functioned excellently in recent times. We have been lucky enough that TPN injures himself every season so we don't have to worry about his shonky throwing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The positive thing about Beale's performance is that he was smashed, hurt, but got up and kept playing.

Godwin isn't ready to play test rugby yet, he passes less than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at the moment.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My point was that the Wallabies have never had a problem playing second rowers who are sub-par, so why should Pyle and Jones be written off.

Granted, I should have made that clearer

You pick props who can scrum, as everyone in Aus knows that shite scrums lose you the match.

The same applies for the Lineout, however the Wallabies lineout has functioned excellently in recent times. We have been lucky enough that TPN injures himself every season so we don't have to worry about his shonky throwing.

Douglas and Timani are both TH locks (the Thorne, Retalick's etc)

You want TH lock "4" who drives and cleans out and a "5" who is the real more mobile lineout exponent.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hard to find both in a single player. You usually have the athletic lineout jumping and ball running gazelle and the gnarly rock-shifter in combination.

T

Tip

That's why I'm such a big fan of Fardy at Second Row.

4. Simmons / Horwill
5. Fardy

Laurie Fisher has been on record stating that he has been proved wrong regarding Fardy being too light to play in the second row. I forget which game it was during last years EOYT, it might have even been against Argentina away, but Fardy was pushed into the second row and our scrum immediately looked stronger.

Pulveriser gave Ewen a mission statement of Fast, innovative, smart attacking rugby. Fardy fits the bill perfectly - allowing us to play two of either Palu, Higgers & McCalman in unison

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The thing we need to remember with our seven is how he balances with the rest of the back row. Forget the partisan bullshit right now about Hooper and Gill. Both fantastic players in their own right but also very different to each other. With more running options at present than last year, we want our seven to be more breakdown orientated to provide more balance.

T

tranquility

Hooper owns the 7 jersey currently, and it will take an injury or massive lack of form to force Gill into the equation as a horses for courses option in my opinion. That is not to say that I don't think Gill should be the Wallaby 7 immediately, however that is just the way the cards have fallen with opportunity (see Malcolm Gladwell's 'Outliers').

As far as Fardy is concerned, I would be happy to see him play anywhere in our pack. He is such a bloody good player, it's just a shame he doesn't organise the line-out. If we had another line-out general in the pack who was up to scratch, Horwill / Mowen etc I would have no problem at all with Fardy being the LH lock.

something

Jim Clark (26)
lock ins:
2 - Moore
6 - Fardy
7 - Hooper
10 - Cooper
15 - Beale

the other 10 are all up for grabs in my opinion.

I like the idea of higgers, hooper, fardy, mccalman & palu all in the 23 with fardy moving into 2nd row too...

considering our 4 & 5 stocks aren't great i think Simmons & someone else should get it and yeah, have fardy as the reserve.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I hope you mean Folau at 15 and not Beale.

No I don't!
I want a Lock that does both of these things!:(

Last one we had is the guy on the left. He's hanging around Tahs training, hopefully he's passing on that lineout prowess to Douglas.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Douglas and Timani are both TH locks (the Thorne, Retalick's etc)

You want TH lock "4" who drives and cleans out and a "5" who is the real more mobile lineout exponent.
Not that it matters much which number they wear,

but conventionally it is the other way round, with the TH lock as "5".

iN3tkjuq8Z9Tw.png

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
For the outside backs I would go

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. McCabe
13. Folau
14. Cummins
15. Beale

As a possible way to include both folau and Beale in the starting line up I would then have

21. Nic Phipps
22. To'omua
23. Foley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I think my opinion was based purely on the fact of comparison. "If" Pocock hadn't had his major injury and stats of both players. I still think Pocock would have had the upper hand in this area. But so he should have. He has had more time at the higher level in this position. I love the way Hooper plays, think he's great. Imagine how awesome he will be by the time WC arrives. Hooper has expressed himself that its an area of his game he needs to improve on. Pocock will probably have to fight pretty hard to get his jumper back when he comes back.

T

Train Without a Station

lock ins:
2 - Moore
6 - Fardy
7 - Hooper
10 - Cooper
15 - Beale

the other 10 are all up for grabs in my opinion.

I like the idea of higgers, hooper, fardy, mccalman & palu all in the 23 with fardy moving into 2nd row too.

considering our 4 & 5 stocks aren't great i think Simmons & someone else should get it and yeah, have fardy as the reserve.

Bro. It aint 2010 no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.