• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Soooo many decisions , would be great to get some ideas on how the selectors are thinking ( if they re not on here trying to work it out as well ) for my 2 cents worth . At thsi stage my only two certainties are Moore and Folau ,, would not liek to play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of posistion just to get him in the team but would like him in the team ,, do not pick Mowen all eyes should be on world cup and he is not in it ,, cant put Quade in , for mine he is too unpredictable , Fardy and Hooper is a good combo on the sides , our weakness in props could cost us

Dear Ballboy,
Only 2 certainties - OMG you cannot be serious but then again, you are just a young lad on the sidelines....

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's not just calling that's important.

It's really having somebody understands how the line out works so they can determining how opposition is defending and where the best opportunities are, whilst also in defence picking through this on the fly and determining where the ball is going, and beating the attacking jumper there when he knew it before you.

A line out jumper able to even make one steal a game gives you the benefit of a pilfer, whilst taking away an opposition attacking opportunity from they're best platform to do it.

That's just proper training and dedicated analysis. There's genuinely no reason why someone can't learn it. IMO it should be way down on the list of reasons to select a player. That's why we have set piece coaches right? If a lineout coach can't teach someone how to read what the opposition tendencies are we might as well not have one.

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
He ! He ! old enough to have seen you go round Stan , with your moustache and big cigar !! we could use you next year , every position is being argued here except it seems Hooker and Fullback , the good news is all arguments are valid , showing good depth ..

T

Train Without a Station

Dumbledore, identifying holes in defence and exploiting them passing pin point passes to runners, running the right lines and basically all other facets of rugby come down to the same thing. Some are good at it, some aren't. If everybody could pick it up we'd have a team full of athletic beasts able to interchange all positions, act as playmakers and do everything.

T

Train Without a Station

To qualify my comments, I am a short (178cm), pilfering, gym monkey openside who took about 2 line out takes in my entire playing years. Despite my lack of relevance in the line out, I could not have more appreciation for those who are good operators at it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He ! He ! old enough to have seen you go round Stan , with your moustache and big cigar !! we could use you next year , every position is being argued here except it seems Hooker and Fullback , the good news is all arguments are valid , showing good depth ..

Anyone arguing that Hooper, To'omua and Fardy aren't guaranteed selections is losing the argument.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Dumbledore, identifying holes in defence and exploiting them passing pin point passes to runners, running the right lines and basically all other facets of rugby come down to the same thing. Some are good at it, some aren't. If everybody could pick it up we'd have a team full of athletic beasts able to interchange all positions, act as playmakers and do everything.
So a really really good rugby league team?

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
1/ Slipper
2/ Moore
3/ Alexander
4/ Simmons
5/ Horwill
6/ Fardy
7/ Hooper
8/ Higgers/Palu
9/ Genia
10/ Cooper
11/ Cummins
12/ To'omua
13/ Kuindrani
14/ Tomane
15/ Falou

That will be what the side for the first French test will look like.
Link will have to be pretty confident that he can turn the reds players around. They are having a shocking season and it only looks to be getting worse.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Link will have to be pretty confident that he can turn the reds players around. They are having a shocking season and it only looks to be getting worse.
Simmons didn't help his cause, lapsing back to 2011/2 form with good play followed by brain fart penalties, and too many. His 2013 EOYT form will count, but man, he can be frustrating to watch.
Genia was better tonight, looking for bright spots.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So anyone worried that we won't have a kicking winger/FB?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

No? Folau can kick adequately and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be on one wing with Tomane or Cummins on other.

-Genia's stock risen, Simmons plummeted.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Rebels scrum was equal or better of the sharks tonight. I'm not saying pick Weeks at tighthead but a certain Luke Jones is pretty good in the second row during a scrum and is a meter making machine around the park without giving away brain fart penalties.

Hopefully Woodward sticks around until the end of next year also until he's eligible, he'd be handy on the wing as he's got all the skills (including another perfect goal kicking game) and is only getting better with decision making.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
By contrast, the Brumbies scrum was dominated by the Saders. 0/3 on own feed after 2/6 last week. They're just not competitive against quality opposition at scrum time.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
By contrast, the Brumbies scrum was dominated by the Saders. 0/3 on own feed after 2/6 last week. They're just not competitive against quality opposition at scrum time.
Hmmm but we pushed the shitter out of the rebels and so did the saders.. So your point...

Toby Smith on loose side is up there but Alexander and Keep would on THP grind weeks into the ground..

Oh and Moore. . please . . . let's pick the Japanese international for the Walliabies..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

Which Australian props have beat them? Who else you picking

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Well, today was the first time the Brumbies scrum has been comprehensively beaten all game, with Alexander being at fault..........

Against the Chiefs they were dominating them for 65-70 minutes of the match............

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Moore's a given. I think the weakness of the Brumbies scrum is more likely to reflect on Sio and Alexander than anyone else. Also Carter and Fardy I guess but to a far lesser extent.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yet those 5 have been scrummaging strongly for over a year now.........

Today Alexander was beaten by his opposite man, and the tight heads in previous matches have come late in the game and when replacements have come on which would suggest issues with depth and fitness.........

Unfortunately for Alexander it's performances like today which is likely to cost him a starting spot despite being the best scrummaging tight head in oz so far this year..........

Status
Not open for further replies.