• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

The last time we beat the AB's, I'm not sure Pat had even been born.

Boom Tish!

Reactions: BDA
T

Tip

How about this for the Frogs:

Slipper
Moore
Alexander
Jones
Carter
Fardy
Hooper
Mowen/Higgers/Palu

White
Cooper
Tomane
To'omua
Kuridrani
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Folau
I can understand your reasoning behind no Kepu, Horwill, Simmons & Genia.
But what does the Honeybadger have to do to get a spot in your team!? There's no way on earth Tomane is anywhere near his level after coming back from injury.

IMO Ewen should be picking the same team that performed so admirably in the northern hemisphere. Simmons & Horwill included. Saying they are out of form is boloney. The Reds, Genia & Kepu are out of form; Simmons and Horwill are not. The Reds lineout is one of the most successful in the competition in attack & defence, their scrum success rate is 89% and they have had their heads buried in rucks 90% of the time.

How quickly people forget that Simmons was our 3rd best forward behind Hooper & Fardy for last years EOYT. He also runs an impecable lineout

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd probably take Tomane over Cummins at the moment. He works harder to get involved in the game when things don't fall in his lap.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
But what does the Honeybadger have to do to get a spot in your team!? There's no way on earth Tomane is anywhere near his level after coming back from injury.

IMO Ewen should be picking the same team that performed so admirably in the northern hemisphere. Simmons & Horwill included. Saying they are out of form is boloney. The Reds, Genia & Kepu are out of form; Simmons and Horwill are not. The Reds lineout is one of the most successful in the competition in attack & defence, their scrum success rate is 89% and they have had their heads buried in rucks 90% of the time.

How quickly people forget that Simmons was our 3rd best forward behind Hooper & Fardy for last years EOYT. He also runs an impecable lineout

The Badger hasn't been playing brilliantly other then the 3 meat pies vs the Tahs his been OK.

I'd pick him but to say his been playing awesome is a lie..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
A bit left-field, but this from today's Brisbane Times:

Could James O'Connor go from being a Pirate or a Ram to a World Cup Wallaby next year?
Apparently, yes. As Super Rugby offers for the exiled former Wallaby appear to be drying up, Shute Shield club West Harbour could be O'Connor's last chance to crack Australia's World Cup squad next year.
Australian Rugby Union chief executive Bill Pulver backed Ewen McKenzie's stance that he would not lobby any Super Rugby clubs to sign the 44-Test outside back.
But he also confirmed that O'Connor needed only to be playing rugby "domestically" to be eligible for a Test call-up.
"He doesn't actually need to find a home in Super Rugby; he could come back and play grade rugby," Pulver said.
"He could come back and play for [West Harbour] so it becomes a question of how badly does he want it?"
O'Connor signed a three-year sponsorship agreement with West Harbour last June, before the Rebels pulled out of re-signing their playmaker and O'Connor decided to move offshore.
West Harbour president Tony Horrocks said the two parties had put their deal on hold while O'Connor played in Europe but had remained on good terms.
Horrocks said the Pirates would welcome O'Connor with open arms, but that the 25-year-old would also be a star signing for new National Rugby Championship franchise the Greater Sydney Rams.
"The club would be more than willing to bring him back into the country and obviously into the national competition if he wants to be a part of it," Horrocks said.
"He would be excellent in a Rams uniform for sure. From a club's perspective he always fits in really well and you don't walk away from that sort of talent."
There is the small matter of remuneration, of course. As one of the highest paid Australian players at the time of his departure, it is difficult to imagine O'Connor coming home for a few free chicken dinners at Club Burwood each week.
To which the big man, Bill, said: "I think at the time it was the right thing to release him from his contract, but I have no doubt that he can get himself to a point where he can be a constructive and very successful member of the Australian rugby community. We would welcome him with open arms but the ball is in his court."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-redemption-20140501-zr2oi.html#ixzz30V71WzxD

Thoughts? Opinions?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
He's one of the most preciously talented footballers of his (or just about any) generation and while his game has it's deficiencies the upside he brings pretty heavily outweighs those minor flaws.

If he can get his head out of his ass and screwed on straight I'd love to see him playing for Australia again.

That's a HUGE "if" though.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
As said most of the team - well at least 10 are pretty well undisputed.
To me some of the real question marks are

Half back: White or Genia - White IMO
Lock: Will Horwill get the spot? - think Simmo is a certainty
10: Will Matt To'omua usurp QC (Quade Cooper) or QC (Quade Cooper) be at 10 and Matt at 12 (2nd option more likely)
6: - likely between Higgers and Fardy - Both must be in the side so if Higgers gets 6 and Palu 8 then Fardy must get lock spot next to Simmo
Captain: Hooper/Moore/Higgers or a smokey - probably Hooper

realise there are more and more questions but the above will be of interest to me !!!!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs play the Rebels in Melbourne two weeks before the June test break.

That could be a big match between Palu and Higginbotham in terms of the likely makeup of the Wallaby backrow and bench for the French tests.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Nice points on Horwill & Simmons.

Can't agree with Kepu or Cummins. I feel Alexander is playing his best rugby and has really benefited from the new scrum laws.

I think you may be blinded by the Honey Badgers awesome post-match interviews because his form is not much better then Tomane's.

It is really a flip of the coin who over who is better Tomane or Cummins. And I think Tomane offers a higher skill set, whereas the Honey Badger is really a barge your way through, what you see is what you get kind of player.

Spreight beats the lot of them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think you may be blinded by the Honey Badgers awesome post-match interviews because his form is not much better then Tomane's.

It is really a flip of the coin who over who is better Tomane or Cummins. And I think Tomane offers a higher skill set, whereas the Honey Badger is really a barge your way through, what you see is what you get kind of

I think Tomane has been outstanding in the last few weeks but really average early in the season.

Certainly in terms of the June tests he's timing his run of form at the right time (although there are still obviously a few weeks to go).

At this point I'd have him nudging ahead of Cummins on form but Cummins has been much more consistent as a Wallaby.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Is Higgers the line-out caller for the Rebs?

Pyle is the regular caller, but when he was benched against the force (through minor injury not form apparently) Higgers did call the ball in.

With Pyle still on the bench, we'll see if it happens again.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Is Higgers the line-out caller for the Rebs?

Pyle has been, but I'm pretty sure Higgers was calling things last week. I think the role of lineout caller is way overrated to be honest. How hard can it possibly be to watch some film and work out the opposition patterns? And surely most throws are pre-gamed with the coaches anyway? If you're at this field position at this minute with the score in this region then the throw is this etc.

T

Train Without a Station

It's not just calling that's important.

It's really having somebody understands how the line out works so they can determining how opposition is defending and where the best opportunities are, whilst also in defence picking through this on the fly and determining where the ball is going, and beating the attacking jumper there when he knew it before you.

A line out jumper able to even make one steal a game gives you the benefit of a pilfer, whilst taking away an opposition attacking opportunity from they're best platform to do it.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
All locks and most blindsides should be learning how to run a lineout from age rugby. Otherwise what is the fucking point of playing there, you stupid giraffes?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I hope you right Pfitzy as most of our regular line-out callers are either in questionable form (Simmons) or unavailable for selection (Pyle, Mowen).

Ballboy

Chris McKivat (8)
Soooo many decisions , would be great to get some ideas on how the selectors are thinking ( if they re not on here trying to work it out as well ) for my 2 cents worth . At thsi stage my only two certainties are Moore and Folau ,, would not liek to play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) out of posistion just to get him in the team but would like him in the team ,, do not pick Mowen all eyes should be on world cup and he is not in it ,, cant put Quade in , for mine he is too unpredictable , Fardy and Hooper is a good combo on the sides , our weakness in props could cost us

Status
Not open for further replies.