• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Fair call. I'm enjoying the chat here anyway. All these discussions were previously confined to my own head so it's good to get different perspectives, especially from knowledgeable fans.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Never have liked team "mates" sniping at each other - fucks the culture of comraderie. Maybe in this professional arena it is tolerated - fuck back in my day you take the bloke out the back and just sort it out. Thankfully times have changed

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jesus they're not attacking each other, they're pissed off at the standards on the field. It's a good thing.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree with Braveheart that we wont see many new faces. probably not until the Rugby Championship and only because the inevitable injury list will be mounting by then.

I expect the return of Higgers and Palu to push Mowen out of the side. I'd still consider having Mowen in the squad, but I wouldn't play him unless things were dire.

Other than Higgers/Palu, I think the only other guy that might be able to push his way into the starting side is White. He's been quite impressive this year. Genia hasn't been great, but I don't think he's been all that bad either. I expect Genia to get the nod for the first test.

Does anyone know how big the squad will be for the France series?? the big question will be which bolters will be introduced to the fold in the extended squad. From memory they usually start the year with an extended squad and dangle the proverbial wallabies carrot in front of any guys that they see as possible test players over the next 18 months. I'd like to see:-

- Charles
- Godwin
- Jones
- Carter
- Skelton
- Cottrell
- Woodward
- Morahan
- Toby Smith
- (a tight head...cant think of any... any suggestions?)

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Look in the absence of a clear el Captian, I will continue with the idea of giving the badge the Big C..

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Agree with Braveheart that we wont see many new faces. probably not until the Rugby Championship and only because the inevitable injury list will be mounting by then.

I expect the return of Higgers and Palu to push Mowen out of the side. I'd still consider having Mowen in the squad, but I wouldn't play him unless things were dire.

Other than Higgers/Palu, I think the only other guy that might be able to push his way into the starting side is White. He's been quite impressive this year. Genia hasn't been great, but I don't think he's been all that bad either. I expect Genia to get the nod for the first test.

Does anyone know how big the squad will be for the France series?? the big question will be which bolters will be introduced to the fold in the extended squad. From memory they usually start the year with an extended squad and dangle the proverbial wallabies carrot in front of any guys that they see as possible test players over the next 18 months. I'd like to see:-

- Charles
- Godwin
- Jones
- Carter
- Skelton
- Cottrell
- Woodward
- Morahan
- Toby Smith
- (a tight head.cant think of any. any suggestions?)

I was thinking about Bolters, So others you haven't already sai.

Inman from the Rebs

Real outside chance is someone like Alofa from the Tah's he was pretty good before injury..

Have to say that's pretty much all I can think of. Is Woodward eligible yet??

Speight for RC not really a bolter, but then I dont think Godwin is either he would have been there already if not for injury..

P

Paradox

Tomane and Cummins are the form wingers and actually the incumbents. I reckon either AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) plays at 13 or starts on the bench. He is up against Kuridrani for the 13 jumper. No doubt injuries will decide who gets selected :(

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Sam Carter - 110kg
Luke Jones - 110kg
Scott Fardy - 109kg
James Horwill - 117kg
Rob Simmons - 115kg
Kane Douglas - 118kg

So if you look at the sizes of the Locks the Brumbies pair are towards the small size, but that doesn't really seem to affect our scrum.. Is that because

A/ We have a 'World Class' Super front row ? (Sio, Moore, Alexander) at Super level are tough to beat.

B/ Our Locks are quite Strong while not weighing alot with good scrummaging.

C/ Last 2 year's we have played pretty big backrow /

D/ Gandalf has them scrumming as an 8 ?

Bit of everything ? ? Anyone with more concept on packs know why ?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
So if you look at the sizes of the Locks the Brumbies pair are towards the small size, but that doesn't really seem to affect our scrum.. Is that because

A/ We have a 'World Class' Super front row ? (Sio, Moore, Alexander) at Super level are tough to beat.

B/ Our Locks are quite Strong while not weighing alot with good scrummaging.

C/ Last 2 year's we have played pretty big backrow /

D/ Gandalf has them scrumming as an 8 ?

Bit of everything ? ? Anyone with more concept on packs know why ?

Mate the 3 tightheads you lost last week hardly backs up the theory of World Class Super Frnt Row

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah but it didn't include any other those 3 mentioned Scrubber. Their first choice scrum is strong.

I'd say it's definitely a combination of all 4. I'm sure C would be bigger a factor than we initially think too. Having players used to and big enough to be packing at 8 packing at 6 and 7 would surely give some better drive.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Mate the 3 tightheads you lost last week hardly backs up the theory of World Class Super Front Row

They have been the form Australian Scrum.. And At Super Level there got 3 Wallabies. Which I think makes a difference..

But hey rather loss 3 tight heads and score 5 tries any week ..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
'World Class' front row is an interesting way to put it. It's good by Aussie standards, but then in any list of the world's best props, there are no Aussie names in the top 20. Good props by Aussie standards are quite a different beast from world class props - of which there are none in Australia. It's been our weakest link for 20+ years.

I think the Brumbies have a run of the mill scrum by Super Rugby standards, which is good by Aussie standards. They can dominate occasionally against weak scrums but are still liable to lose a few tightheads and generally struggle to compete against scrums that are good by Super Rugby standards. In those cases, their game, like the Wallabies game, is based on surviving that area and winning other areas.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
They have been the form Australian Scrum.. And At Super Level there got 3 Wallabies. Which I think makes a difference..

But hey rather loss 3 tight heads and score 5 tries any week ..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

agree - wish the Reds could score 5 tries - but the proposition was in respect of the front row - yours has its failings - as shown last week.
Meanwhile the Reds scrum is number 2 overall - surprising I'll admit but there you have it

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't really understand this talk about waiting to blood new players in the RC? The French tests are exactly when we should, they're 'friendlies' and it's even more experience before the RWC next year. Get them in as soon as possible and see how they play, if they suck then bring in others or old heads in the RC.

Plus, it's the French... They're not going to be in their 'fueled by spite' RWC mode as it's the end of a long season for them and it's basically a holiday. That's what I want to believe anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.