• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Kuridrani for captain? He plays for the Brumbies too. Seems almost rude to leave him out at this point.

McCabe was in Robbies Leadership group ;)

But serious, People have said Horwill, Genia Hooper, Cooper, Fat Cat.

I guess the Force and Rebels have been left out cos there was like only 3 in the squad. .

But to be fair... Id give it to the badger just for the post match pressers.... Champion

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Im starting a campaign HB for Captain.

art-353-690908377-300x0.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hasn't really been discussed anywhere but could any of the Force front row be in with a shout for Wallaby selection, they've certainly been impressive recently

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Hasn't really been discussed anywhere but could any of the Force front row be in with a shout for Wallaby selection, they've certainly been impressive recently

You would have to think if the Force keep winning a few of them will make the squad.

EDIT: I mean Force players not just front rowers

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As has been mentioned, lets discuss the 2014 Wallabies here as the other thread is more 2015 RWC related.

At this point of the season it is interesting to look at how players have moved relative to where they were last season.

LHP: Sio and Cowan have moved up considerably. Benn Robinson has stood pretty still. If you were picking a test team tomorrow, you'd probably have Slipper starting and Sio on the bench.

Hooker: Charles has moved up the ranks. Hanson has potentially surpassed Saia Fainga'a due to injury. TPN is playing fairly well and would still be Moore's backup in my opinion.

THP: Alexander has had a great season so far and could have nudged back above Kepu. These two are still the Wallaby THPs in my opinion.

Lock: Where to start? Horwill is improving and had his best game of the year against the Force, but still isn't dominating. Outside of the lineout, Simmons isn't doing a whole lot and is showing nowhere near the physicality he did on the EOYT.

Jones has leapfrogged Pyle at the Rebels and is one of the form Australian locks.

Douglas is having an excellent season and will be in the mix.

Fardy is playing brilliantly and can be picked at lock if needed.

I think Skelton is going pretty well but the form of other players will mean that he isn't any closer to wearing a Wallaby jersey.

6: Fardy is the easy frontrunner but Higginbotham is definitely in with a shout there and is likely to feature somewhere in a Wallaby 23. Cottrell is playing great rugby but you'd have to think there aren't enough spots for him to get a run.

7: Hooper and Hodgson are the two form 7s and unless Gill storms back into form when he comes back from injury, these two should be in the squad for the June tests. Hooper will start unless injured.

8. McCalman is close to the form number 8 across the whole comp and must be in with a huge chance of playing for the Wallabies in June. Palu is playing well but is missing two games through injury. Higginbotham and Mowen are also options (whether Mowen is picked given he is going overseas is another question).

Overall I think the biggest movers vying for Wallaby selection are McCalman, Jones and Alexander.

I'll look at the backs later.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
As mentioned above, The most interesting competition I think is between the 6 and 8. You would think on form Fardy will start, but he could start at lock? Palu, Higgers and now McCalman are all playing so well we are really spoiled for choice.

So far, Hooper has the 7 jersey wrapped up. Likewise with Falou and Moore. And I think Cooper is playing well enough to keep his 10 jersey.

To'omua is playing very well so you would expect McKenzie would have no doubts about shifting him to 12. Although McCabe and Lealifano are looking pretty damn good too so you never know.

Weak links at the moment are the locks.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Fardy (covering lock)
7- Hooper
8- Palu/Higginbotham/McCalman

19/20- Palu/ Higginbotham/ McCalman

Fardy moves to lock later in the game, Higgers comes onto the blindside and Palu/McCalman replaces the one who started at 8

Not a bad problem to have in the back row.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Fardy (covering lock)
7- Hooper

Fardy moves to lock later in the game, Higgers comes onto the blindside and Palu/McCalman replaces the one who started at 8

Only issue is that if Fardy goes down you then dont have a lock cover but mcCalman has started at lock for the Force in the past so you could use him there at a pinch if you needed.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
My team if was being picked to play in a few weeks, so taking into account form and injury status:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper
11. McCabe
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Izzy

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Jones
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. Kuridrani

In a 30 man squad I'd add Hanson, Pek, Ryan, Douglas, McCalman, Burgess, Mogg

Stacked in the backrow, halves and centers. If Cliffy inevitably doesn't recover from injury in time I'd parachute McCalman to start as he's in great form but he's an 8 or nothing so doesn't see the bench. Bias aside I think Jones should get the bench as he covers 4, 5, 6 and 8 in a pinch and looks made for test rugby. Tough picking between the 3 scrummies as they're all playing inconsistently with white being the least inconsistent and looking great when in form.

Front row and wing are the real issue areas as I see it, hoping guys like Toby Smith step up but the tight head cupboard is bare as usual. Speight can't become eligible soon enough but I think Patty McCabe would make a great 11 with the form he's in. Cummins is trading on reputation and lack of any real challengers (bar maybe CFS) and he does always seem to step up at international level.

Preempting the 'we need Simmons for the line out' comments. He had some good games last year but I think that higgers/fardy/horwill/jones offer some solid options (higgers in particular) while offering WAY more around the field.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Would happily see Charles as 3rd hooker. Charles/Fainga'a/Hanson are all pretty close so may as well give the Force one player in the 30 man squad.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
4- Simmons
5- Horwill
6- Fardy (covering lock)
7- Hooper

This is probably a good option. Better to carry two very good backrowers than a lock who is no better than one already playing 6.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Alot of the guys being mentioned are undoubtably great and in form Super players but they have been tried at test level and havent quite made it. Ben Mc has never really impressed me at test level purely because he doesnt impact at 8. I think Higgers/Palu will be 8 to Higgers/Fardy's 6. Love to see Ben get a run but he just doesnt seem big enough...how big is he? The half back question is another one..If Quaide is 10 then Genia gets first gig...he's a genuine test performer. If To'omua is 10 will be White or Phipps. Id like to see Genia,Cooper ,To'omua, Kurindrani,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) ,Badger(test performer) and Izzy but being realistic the only three certainties are To'omua somewhere AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) somewhere and Izzy. then you have Beale,Lilo,McCabe, etc etc...If the look of your bench means you have the side to win big comps then bring it on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's true that McCalman hasn't quite lit up the test arena, but Higgers test form hasn't been any better.........

And on current form McCalman is well ahead.......

T

Train Without a Station

I think any talk of Fardy potentially playing lock is way off the mark.

With Fardy out on the EOYT link went to Simmons at 6. Clearly he's looking to beef up the tight work of the pack, not the loose work.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Alot of the guys being mentioned are undoubtably great and in form Super players but they have been tried at test level and havent quite made it. Ben Mc has never really impressed me at test level purely because he doesnt impact at 8. I think Higgers/Palu will be 8 to Higgers/Fardy's 6. Love to see Ben get a run but he just doesnt seem big enough.how big is he?

Please name a test where Higginbotham was decent at number 8. I don't think there is one.

I'd argue McCalman is in career best form so I don't think you can claim from previous test performances that he's not up to it. I also thought McCalman had good impact off the bench last year in most of the tests he played.

Higginbotham is listed as being a couple of centimetres taller and 1 or 2kg heavier depending on the source.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think with McCalman a lot of people use his game against Ireland in the RWC as the standard of his play in he rest of his test which is very unfair against him he has had some great games playing at 8 and has had great impact coming of the bench

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.