• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Hodgson is ahead of Hooper?..if Pocock was back he's be in instead of Hooper? Gill is close to Hooper?.....What has Hooper got to do to win people over?........MOMs?...more than he misses. Players votes?..yup awards?...think he picked up a few last season....guys can we just support an incumbent who's done good.
For mine he is first man picked with Moore and Izzy...i don't get the debate...must be tough being a Wallaby sometimes...:oops:

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think its perfectly fine to bring in a 33 year old to cover for the incumbents eg Pocock, Hooper. (if Hooper were injured too).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Hodgson is ahead of Hooper?..if Pocock was back he's be in instead of Hooper? Gill is close to Hooper?...What has Hooper got to do to win people over?....MOMs?.more than he misses. Players votes?..yup awards?.think he picked up a few last season..guys can we just support an incumbent who's done good.
For mine he is first man picked with Moore and Izzy.i don't get the debate.must be tough being a Wallaby sometimes.:oops:

I don't think anyone expects Hodgeson to get the nod ahead of Hooper. But we do recognise his form is currently very good, probably better then Hoopers this season. I think he deserves to make the 30 man squad behind Hooper but ahead of Gill.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can see your point about continuity. But I don't think picking Hodgson over Gill at this point in time will cause any disruption to the squad. Gill is hardly an important member to the team and Hodgeson has been around the squad enough to know how things work.

I get what you're saying but I completely disagree.

If we're talking about the reserve openside flanker who is either on the bench or more likely outside the 23 and the choice is between Gill and Hodgson, I think McKenzie will pick Gill every single time regardless of Hodgson's form.

In close selection contests I think the incumbent, particularly when they're young and improving wins every time.

I agree with that mentality as well.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Not sure if this is the right thread but anyway..

JOC (James O'Connor), Drew & Gits have all been selected to play for the Barbarians v England on the 1 June.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
On the podcast last night Barbar toyed with the idea of Hodgo doing a Mowen later this year how if he was to make the Wallabies he could become a real option to Captain the team if we wanted someone to really lead from the front

He is probably ATM behind Mowan as the best captain in the country in terms of on field leadership and he is someone the Force players really want to follow.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I like Hodgson good tough honest performer and with all due respect to him, Hell will freeze over before he is made wallabies captain. He would be a rank outsider to make the playing squad barring injuries

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I like Hodgson good tough honest performer and with all due respect to him, Hell will freeze over before he is made wallabies captain. He would be a rank outsider to make the playing squad barring injuries
haha ok than

just with hell freezing over Greg Growden was so sure that the Force would get spanked by the Chielfs he said that if the Force did win they will win the whole Comp......must be about to get cold in hell

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
haha ok than

just with hell freezing over Greg Growden was so sure that the Force would get spanked by the Chielfs he said that if the Force did win they will win the whole Comp..must be about to get cold in hell
hopefully they open a book for you at sportsbet for next wallaby captain he would be 2001/1.

Actually Im happy to take that bet at those odds

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
hopefully they open a book for you at sportsbet for next wallaby captain he would be 2001/1.

Actually Im happy to take that bet at those odds
Mate I'm not saying he will I highly doubt it but I guess you can never say never stranger things have happened.

Moving away from Hodgo who do we think will be the captain with mowan going does it go back to Horwill or is it time for someone else to take the lead Hooper Moore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon Hooper would be favourite if McKenzie doesn't go back to Horwill or Genia.

I'd be surprised if Cooper was made captain although obviously he was made vice captain last year.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Mate I'm not saying he will I highly doubt it but I guess you can never say never stranger things have happened.

Moving away from Hodgo who do we think will be the captain with mowan going does it go back to Horwill or is it time for someone else to take the lead Hooper Moore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As has been mentioned I dont think Horwill is an automatic starter, Id be taking a punt on Hooper, Id like to see him capt the tahs at the moment though so to have a bit of a look at him in the role.

Not sure who is favoured by Mckenzie be interesting to see, no one else really jumps out at you.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I reckon Hooper would be favourite if McKenzie doesn't go back to Horwill or Genia.

I'd be surprised if Cooper was made captain although obviously he was made vice captain last year.
Think White and Phipps are really throwing down a heavey challenge to genia for the starting no 9.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Think White and Phipps are really throwing down a heavey challenge to genia for the starting no 9.

I agree but I think Genia has been a bit better in the last couple of weeks.

If he continues on that trajectory I think he'll be the starting halfback.

I also think Horwill will be a starting lock barring a massive change in form. I actually think he's been playing quite well.

I would be concerned about his captaincy though in terms of referee relations. He has never been great at it for the Wallabies and his team is currently copping a flogging from referees in Super Rugby.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hodgson doesn't have the pace to play test rugby as an Aus 7 in a side that moves it around

EatSleepDrinkRuck

Larry Dwyer (12)
There are so many loose forwards, including openside flankers who have been great test captains.

I agree there have been, but you don't see any potential conflict between the role of pushing/breaking rules at the breakdown and being the captain of the side?

I don't mean to say its impossible, but I think it puts the loosies (mostly the 7) on the back foot compared to other positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.