• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Hasn't Coleman only been starting for the Brumbies due to injuries? He's been on the bench if memory serves.

Cummins or JOC (James O'Connor), Love the Badge but JOC (James O'Connor) can cover more positions and as Querty said above reports from up North are that he's been playing really well.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
JOC (James O'Connor) is a good player, but not good enough that he commands a starting position on old form...

There are currently better options for the back 3, and he would need to come back and prove himself...

This is what I have being saying this whole thread and people think that JOC (James O'Connor) is playing as well as used to !

Not only are his off-field antics in need of work but on the field he needs to show he is well ahead of the other contenders to warrant the risk of picking him again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
One strategy no one has even tossed up is the fact that Pat McCabe can play wing, fullback or inside centre. You could use McCabe and Cummins as hard hitting wingers to neutralise the opposite numbers in the fixtures this year

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
This is what I have being saying this whole thread and people think that JOC (James O'Connor) is playing as well as used to !

Not only are his off-field antics in need of work but on the field he needs to show he is well ahead of the other contenders to warrant the risk of picking him again

So true, and that must be in Aus in a Super team next year. If he can do that, then he could be considered. Until then, I wish everyone would just get over him and concentrate on the talent that is available and is playing here.

Scythe

Larry Dwyer (12)
So true, and that must be in Aus in a Super team next year. If he can do that, then he could be considered. Until then, I wish everyone would just get over him and concentrate on the talent that is available and is playing here.

Agreed mate there are so many more options here and now (John Cena voice )

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Surly Matt Hodgson must be close to getting a spot in the squad

well let's not forget that he has done the hard yards with a team that has struggled for years. That's gotta take it out of you somehow.

I'd be surly too probably.

maybe with their recent successes he'll cheer up a bit and put a smile on his dial?:)

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
On the podcast last night Barbar toyed with the idea of Hodgo doing a Mowen later this year how if he was to make the Wallabies he could become a real option to Captain the team if we wanted someone to really lead from the front

He is probably ATM behind Mowan as the best captain in the country in terms of on field leadership and he is someone the Force players really want to follow.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Hodgson would come into the picture in the squad if either Hooper or Gill got injured but otherwise, I doubt he would regardless of form.

McKenzie isn't going to back away from his two young stars because an almost 33 year old is in a rich vein of form.

I'm a big fan of Hodgson, but I don't think he will make the squad let alone become Wallaby captain.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I reckon McCabe is in better form than Godwin at this stage and probably on par with Beale because they offer completely different things.

To'omua is in good form albeit not at 12 but you'd imagine he'd be first choice again.

If you were to pick a 30 player Wallaby squad right now, I'd suggest McCabe would be in it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I can't see Hodgson been made captain, for numerous reasons but not limited to the fact he is not an automatic starter in addition to his age working against him. Any captain selected this year will be done so with the 2015 RWC in mind.

I think the other thing I didn't mention that works in his favour is the absence of a standout candidate for captain. Horwill and the Reds are being penalised off the park at the moment, and surely there are question marks over his spot in the team as well.

Agree about that RWC stuff though.

It is a real long shot crazy theory but there is a tiny bit of merit in it I believe.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I really do hope to see Hodgson in the squad. I don't think age should be a question, he has some wallabies experience and I would bet my life savings he wouldn't let anyone down.
I'd say current on current form, Hooper would get the nod being the incumbent and a consistent wallaby performer but Hodgeson would be a close second.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Based on selection right now? Yeah hodgo probably would make the squad. This is largely due to the fact that Gill left one of his hamstrings at Ellis Park though.

T

Tip

30 Man should look something like this, give or take injuries and form:

Props: Slipper, Kepu, Alexander, Sio, Ryan
Hookers: Moore, TPN, Charles
Second Rows: Horwill, Simmons, Douglas,
6/8: Fardy, Palu, Higgenbotham, McCalman
Opensides: Hooper, Hodgeson
Halfbacks: Genia, White
Flyhalfs: Cooper
Wingers: Cummins, Tomane, CFS
Centres: To'omua, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Kuridrani
Fullbacks: Folau, Beale

Notable admissions: Saia, Dennis, Mowen, Phipps, Foley, Harris, Leali'ifano, Phipps, Morahan, Betham, Alofa

ATM we haven't got that many international quality wingers available. I can't wait until O'Connor and Speight are in the fold. Bolded are my starters, normal font are reserves, Players in italics are the ones I don't think will make the 23.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on selection right now? Yeah hodgo probably would make the squad. This is largely due to the fact that Gill left one of his hamstrings at Ellis Park though.

I rate him ahead of Gill on current form this super xv season.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
On current form and influence over the team (and game), ignoring incumbency, Hodgo is ahead of Hooper IMO, he's the complete package right now. I think he is playing better now than when he did make the Wallabies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I rate him ahead of Gill on current form this super xv season.

I would also rate Hodgson's form as better than Gill's right now.

I highly doubt that McKenzie would drop Gill from his squad to bring in a 33 year old Hodgson.

The Wallabies are a team in their own right and aren't solely a reflection of the most in form players at Super Rugby level. I find it hard to imagine that McKenzie would ditch a young player who has been around the squad for the last two years to select a veteran with marginally better form who played a handful of tests in 2010 and 2011.

Form is certainly important but it isn't the be all and end all. Current form would be far more critical if we played a couple of tests a year. As we play up to 15 a year, I think continuity plays a very big part.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would also rate Hodgson's form as better than Gill's right now.

I highly doubt that McKenzie would drop Gill from his squad to bring in a 33 year old Hodgson.

The Wallabies are a team in their own right and aren't solely a reflection of the most in form players at Super Rugby level. I find it hard to imagine that McKenzie would ditch a young player who has been around the squad for the last two years to select a veteran with marginally better form who played a handful of tests in 2010 and 2011.

Form is certainly important but it isn't the be all and end all. Current form would be far more critical if we played a couple of tests a year. As we play up to 15 a year, I think continuity plays a very big part.

I can see your point about continuity. But I don't think picking Hodgson over Gill at this point in time will cause any disruption to the squad. Gill is hardly an important member to the team and Hodgeson has been around the squad enough to know how things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.