• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Please name a test where Higginbotham was decent at number 8. I don't think there is one.

I'd argue McCalman is in career best form so I don't think you can claim from previous test performances that he's not up to it. I also thought McCalman had good impact off the bench last year in most of the tests he played.

Higginbotham is listed as being a couple of centimetres taller and 1 or 2kg heavier depending on the source.

Also heard on Rugby HQ that Benny has put on 5 Kgs in the preseason to try and have more impact.

On the Lock situation I've heard alot of people worried about depth. I think Horwill Simmions are pretty good. Douglas been playing well. Jones is kicking arse for the rebels and Carter is the hardest working lock in Australia.

Throw in Skelton as a massive kid and that Fardy can cover Lock we aint looking too bad.

I think one of Jones/Carter should be a bench option for France too see what they have got at test level. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Please name a test where Higginbotham was decent at number 8. I don't think there is one.

I'd argue McCalman is in career best form so I don't think you can claim from previous test performances that he's not up to it. I also thought McCalman had good impact off the bench last year in most of the tests he played.

Higginbotham is listed as being a couple of centimetres taller and 1 or 2kg heavier depending on the source.
You're right about Higgers but I'm basing my call on what he would have been like last year if not injured....seems to be playing alot better than when he was picked...I guess that means my McCalman doubts should be rested but I cant remember him getting the go forward at test level that a Cliffy/Kepu/gets/ got and I think that a hard running number 8 who can bust through 10/12 channel is vital..maybe Fardy is the answer. I think it is a major problem for us. McCalman is a workhorse with a huge heart and deserves all the praise but he's almost a half /half 7/8 rather than a full 8....not sure I'm getting my point across.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Also heard on Rugby HQ that Benny has put on 5 Kgs in the preseason to try and have more impact.

On the Lock situation I've heard alot of people worried about depth. I think Horwill Simmions are pretty good. Douglas been playing well. Jones is kicking arse for the rebels and Carter is the hardest working lock in Australia.

Throw in Skelton as a massive kid and that Fardy can cover Lock we aint looking too bad.

I think one of Jones/Carter should be a bench option for France too see what they have got at test level. .

Watched Jones witha bit more care this year...he is good and gets better evrygame...how many carries this year stats gurus?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
You're right about Higgers but I'm basing my call on what he would have been like last year if not injured..seems to be playing alot better than when he was picked.I guess that means my McCalman doubts should be rested but I cant remember him getting the go forward at test level that a Cliffy/Kepu/gets/ got and I think that a hard running number 8 who can bust through 10/12 channel is vital..maybe Fardy is the answer. I think it is a major problem for us. McCalman is a workhorse with a huge heart and deserves all the praise but he's almost a half /half 7/8 rather than a full 8..not sure I'm getting my point across.

We all could be wrong and Mowen gets 8 and Le'Captain, his forms been good if not great and he is the incumbent.

We haven't counted him as his moving to France, but maybe Link will want his leadership through the French series..

Wish Aluera wasn't injured, but I think his a long way off the gold at the moment. He does though love smashing the south african teams

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think it's depth so much that there aren't any really clear contenders demanding selection.

If Horwill and Simmons weren't the incumbents it would be pretty hard to separate them from Douglas and Jones etc. which is a bit worrying.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Having watched Douglas the last few weeks, I really fail to see how people are claiming he is in very good form. To me, he's no better than most of the other Aus locks out there, I wouldn't even say that Douglas has played particularly well over in SA. I don't see any Australian locks in standout form right now.

Horwill still needs to improvement to get back to his best, if he'll ever get back. The game vs the Force was actually one of his better games in a long time, and his stats were very impressive:

10 runs for 30m, 1 clean break, 11 tackles for 0 missed, 2 lineout takes, 2 lineout steals, 0 turnovers conceded, 2 penalties conceded

Those are the kind of stats he'd pull three years ago. He needs to get back to that level more often.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Having watched Douglas the last few weeks, I really fail to see how people are claiming he is in very good form. To me, he's no better than most of the other Aus locks out there, I wouldn't even say that Douglas has played particularly well over in SA. I don't see any Australian locks in standout form right now.

Horwill still needs to improvement to get back to his best, if he'll ever get back. The game vs the Force was actually one of his better games in a long time, and his stats were very impressive:

10 runs for 30m, 1 clean break, 11 tackles for 0 missed, 2 lineout takes, 2 lineout steals, 0 turnovers conceded, 2 penalties conceded

Those are the kind of stats he'd pull three years ago. He needs to get back to that level more often.

Well if that's good then Carters last 3 Games have smashed it
Stormers 80min 8R43M 1TB 13 Tackles
Rebels 80min 7R32M 1TB 19 Tackles
Blues 64Min *injy 7R28M 6 Tackles

But I guess it's a feel on the field which counts as well, Im not sure he dominates but he does a truckload of work..

His game against the force 10R48M 3TB and 16 Tackles was massive

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My team if was being picked to play in a few weeks, so taking into account form and injury status:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Fardy
5. Horwill
6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. White
10. Cooper
11. McCabe
12. To'omua
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Izzy

16. TPN
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Jones
20. Hodgson
21. Genia
22. Foley
23. Kuridrani

In a 30 man squad I'd add Hanson, Pek, Ryan, Douglas, McCalman, Burgess, Mogg

Stacked in the backrow, halves and centers. If Cliffy inevitably doesn't recover from injury in time I'd parachute McCalman to start as he's in great form but he's an 8 or nothing so doesn't see the bench. Bias aside I think Jones should get the bench as he covers 4, 5, 6 and 8 in a pinch and looks made for test rugby. Tough picking between the 3 scrummies as they're all playing inconsistently with white being the least inconsistent and looking great when in form.

Front row and wing are the real issue areas as I see it, hoping guys like Toby Smith step up but the tight head cupboard is bare as usual. Speight can't become eligible soon enough but I think Patty McCabe would make a great 11 with the form he's in. Cummins is trading on reputation and lack of any real challengers (bar maybe CFS) and he does always seem to step up at international level.

Preempting the 'we need Simmons for the line out' comments. He had some good games last year but I think that higgers/fardy/horwill/jones offer some solid options (higgers in particular) while offering WAY more around the field.

Pretty much how I see it as well, but I'd have Christian Lealiifano in the squad at least. Like your take on the locks. Those four jumpers would be more than adequate and I'd bet that Higgers could make the calls as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But I guess it's a feel on the field which counts as well, Im not sure he dominates but he does a truckload of work..

This is a really important point regarding our forward pack.

Workhorses are important to a degree, but test matches are won by teams that win the collisions more often. It's often the quality of the involvements that are crucial, not just the number.

That said, Carter deserves to be far higher up the pecking order than he has been in the last couple of years.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
This is a really important point regarding our forward pack.

Workhorses are important to a degree, but test matches are won by teams that win the collisions more often. It's often the quality of the involvements that are crucial, not just the number.

That said, Carter deserves to be far higher up the pecking order than he has been in the last couple of years.

His improving in the area's his been weaker at (Ball running, Contact) and wouldn't look out of place in the Squad but as some else said you could probably go

Horwill, Simmions, Douglas, Carter, Jones and Maybe even Wykes (at a pince and we couldn't really complain..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well if that's good then Carters last 3 Games have smashed it
Stormers 80min 8R43M 1TB 13 Tackles
Rebels 80min 7R32M 1TB 19 Tackles
Blues 64Min *injy 7R28M 6 Tackles

His game against the force 10R48M 3TB and 16 Tackles was massive

Going by the same stat provider I used for Horwill, Carter had:

Blues: 7 runs for 5 metres, 8 tackles, 1 missed, 4 turnovers conceded, 0 penalties conceded, 5 lineouts, 1 stolen
Rebels: 6 runs for 4 metres, 17 tackles, 1 missed, 1 turnover conceded, 2 penalties conceded, 2 lineoutes
Stormers: 8 runs for 25 metres, 11 tackles, 4 missed, 1 penalty conceded, 4 lineouts

Impressive number of tackles against the Rebels.

To be honest, I am not a fan of stats, but they can show how hard a player is working and getting themselves in the game. I think that out of form players, particularly forwards, will generally have lower involvements as they struggle to get into the game.

Regarding Carter, he is a solid player, would like to see a bit more impact though. Carter is another lock who I think has been playing well, but not outstanding.

As an aside, I always find the difference in stat providers interesting. The one I used, ESPN Scrum, seems to be a bit more stingy than the one you sourced.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Going by the same stat provider I used for Horwill, Carter had:

Blues: 7 runs for 5 metres, 8 tackles, 1 missed, 4 turnovers conceded, 0 penalties conceded, 5 lineouts, 1 stolen
Rebels: 6 runs for 4 metres, 17 tackles, 1 missed, 1 turnover conceded, 2 penalties conceded, 2 lineoutes
Stormers: 8 runs for 25 metres, 11 tackles, 4 missed, 1 penalty conceded, 4 lineouts

Impressive number of tackles against the Rebels.

To be honest, I am not a fan of stats, but they can show how hard a player is working and getting themselves in the game. I think that out of form players, particularly forwards, will generally have lower involvements as they struggle to get into the game.

Regarding Carter, he is a solid player, would like to see a bit more impact though. Carter is another lock who I think has been playing well, but not outstanding.

As an aside, I always find the difference in stat providers interesting. The one I used, ESPN Scrum, seems to be a bit more stingy than the one you sourced.

I used what foxsports had its so hard too see. Carter has been a demon at the breakdown for the Brumbies and is a massive Tackling Machine. I still think Simmions and Horwill start against France then its a toss up for the rest I think Jones Carter deserve a shot.. People say Douglas but the Tahs set pieces have been pants.. Although did well againts the stormers but they are playing props as locks and are average this year (albit still tough).

I will reserve judgement till I see f
Forces v Tahs.

But you heard it here first Tom Staniforth to dominate the Reds play the house down and be in wobs by end of season :p

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
Foxsports posted an interesting article about Wallaby #8 prospects. McCalman, Palu and Hiiginbotham are all contenders with Jake Shatz being the Steven Bradbury of the bunch. Dave Dennis, while being the best line out jumper of all, offers little else other than being a Sydney wonder boy so should be squeezed out as our squad achieves more depth.

The way I see it, Palu is behind the 8 ball. The Wallabies rely heavily on their lineout to build attack and to apply pressure. Palu is the weakest lineout jumper and this really makes it difficult for him. To be a running number 8, he needs to be a metre eating line breaking machine a la Toutai Kefu, which he is not. Sure Palu is a strong carrier but he doesnt have the acceleration of Kefu to make the most of tackle busts. Palu also plays exclusively at the back of the scrum with the others being able to play on the side at a pinch. Fardy has all but sewn up the 6 jersey (for mine), so versatility comes down to replacements and covering bases in case of injury.

McCalman has come into career best form for the Western Force. Higginbotham led the Rebels to a superb start to the season but has ebbed away as the Rebels have met challenges. In my eyes, McCalman plays his best when the chips are down and relishes digging his team out of the doldrums. Scotty Higgs-Boson (the god particle) is superb when the team is on a roll and can cause chaos when given the freedom to play a little wider, but his impact is reduced when he is required to increase his contribution in tight. Higginbotham is the better lineout exponent and has traditionally been a better carrier, while McCalman relishes the dirty work and has is developing his running game. At this stage, for me, it comes down to lienout options. Higginbotham is a genuine option in the lineout, McCalman is an occasional option. Given the wallabies have used the lineout as a key priority in their arsenal, I would think Higginbotham gets the gig, with McCalman coming off the bench.

With two jumping locks plus Fardy and Higginbotham, the Wallabies would have 4 genuine options in the lineout and would be hard to contest. I wouldn't rule out McCalman starting a couple if the game plan depended upon as such.

However to paraphrase the Honey Badger: every other bloke could fall over and Dave Dennis could get the gig. Whatever occurs the wallabies will have their work cut put trying to outdo Read and Vermullen.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Foxsports posted an interesting article about Wallaby #8 prospects. McCalman, Palu and Hiiginbotham are all contenders with Jake Shatz being the Steven Bradbury of the bunch. Dave Dennis, while being the best line out jumper of all, offers little else other than being a Sydney wonder boy so should be squeezed out as our squad achieves more depth.

The way I see it, Palu is behind the 8 ball. The Wallabies rely heavily on their lineout to build attack and to apply pressure. Palu is the weakest lineout jumper and this really makes it difficult for him. To be a running number 8, he needs to be a metre eating line breaking machine a la Toutai Kefu, which he is not. Sure Palu is a strong carrier but he doesnt have the acceleration of Kefu to make the most of tackle busts. Palu also plays exclusively at the back of the scrum with the others being able to play on the side at a pinch. Fardy has all but sewn up the 6 jersey (for mine), so versatility comes down to replacements and covering bases in case of injury.

McCalman has come into career best form for the Western Force. Higginbotham led the Rebels to a superb start to the season but has ebbed away as the Rebels have met challenges. In my eyes, McCalman plays his best when the chips are down and relishes digging his team out of the doldrums. Scotty Higgs-Boson (the god particle) is superb when the team is on a roll and can cause chaos when given the freedom to play a little wider, but his impact is reduced when he is required to increase his contribution in tight. Higginbotham is the better lineout exponent and has traditionally been a better carrier, while McCalman relishes the dirty work and has is developing his running game. At this stage, for me, it comes down to lienout options. Higginbotham is a genuine option in the lineout, McCalman is an occasional option. Given the wallabies have used the lineout as a key priority in their arsenal, I would think Higginbotham gets the gig, with McCalman coming off the bench.

With two jumping locks plus Fardy and Higginbotham, the Wallabies would have 4 genuine options in the lineout and would be hard to contest. I wouldn't rule out McCalman starting a couple if the game plan depended upon as such.

However to paraphrase the Honey Badger: every other bloke could fall over and Dave Dennis could get the gig. Whatever occurs the wallabies will have their work cut put trying to outdo Read and Vermullen.
Higgers had a superb start to the season they beat the cheetahs then lost till the got the brumbies .. if thats a superb start to a season whats the rest of us done ?

the 3 you meantion are the selected then game plan dictates the player's

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Very clear and thought-provoking post. I take it you would have 4. Simmons 5. Horwill to start with that backrow of Fardy, Hooper and Higgers.

I put it to you then, the following scenario: Say that from now and up to the French tests in June, one or both of Horwill and Simmons were to be unavailable for selection (touch wood it doesn't happen), which locks would you select as backup in the squad to strengthen the lineout and not sacrifice too much in terms of the scrum, open play etc., in their place?

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Very clear and thought-provoking post. I take it you would have 4. Simmons 5. Horwill to start with that backrow of Fardy, Hooper and Higgers.

I put it to you then, the following scenario: Say that from now and up to the French tests in June, one or both of Horwill and Simmons were to be unavailable for selection (touch wood it doesn't happen), which locks would you select as backup in the squad to strengthen the lineout and not sacrifice too much in terms of the scrum, open play etc., in their place?

.. Douglas (experienced why he shades Carter) Jones.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I have been using ESPNscrum this year and think it is generally pretty good. It's just a shame you can't use statsguru for Super Rugby. It is such an amazing tool for test rugby and particularly cricket.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ash

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
Very clear and thought-provoking post. I take it you would have 4. Simmons 5. Horwill to start with that backrow of Fardy, Hooper and Higgers

Lock is arguably our position with the least depth (along with tighthead)

I would be calling upon the services of kane douglas due to his experience. I havent seen enough of the others to provide an educated opinion

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Lock is arguably our position with the least depth (along with tighthead)

I would be calling upon the services of kane douglas due to his experience. I havent seen enough of the others to provide an educated opinion

That is a very honest and refreshing observation.

I have noticed elsewhere, especially in threads relating to the NRC and to TV rights, that many posters acknowledge they don't have access to Foxtel and presumably their opinions on various players are formed more on the few home games they get to attend for their favourite team, whichever that is. Probably explains why a lot of comments are particularly biassed towards the players in their favourite teams. I have to concede that I am also biassed towards Brumbies' players but that is completely understandable as they are the top team in the Aussie conference :p , but I do get to see nearly all of the games involving Aus teams on a weekly basis and I hope I take a balanced view of players' abilities when assessing their prospects for Wallabies' spots.

So far as locks go, I would have Horwill/Douglas competing for one spot, and Fardy/Jones/Carter competing for the other. On form this year, I do not rate Rob Simmons in the top four or five. Skelton is the bolter but has so much potential it won't surprise if he makes the bench at least later in the year or at RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.