• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Genia will start. He had a great game on Friday so it's hard to say he's out of form. He's a proven big match test player and he is better suited to the style of game the wobs will play on saturday.

And on the plus side, if Link picks enough Waratahs up front, at least he'll have something resembling a forward pack to deliver him some ball... unlike what he's had for a few months lately.

Is Genia's ankle in the clear at this point?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Typically, the Arabic number system indicates that White is wearing "9" on his back, as a rule. Not sure how you get that wrong.
Not guilty M'lud. And if you can find a post to the contrary, I plead temporary insanity. The evidence is there in black and white when I suggested White/To'omua as a 10/12 combination.

Oh well I'm glad we cleared that up. Weren't you one of the people saying it HAD to be a To'omua/Lilo 10/12 combination because Brumbies?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And Link had Kepu in the original squad and only brought Ryan in as replacement for Benny A. So, Slipper will start at No1, Kepu T No 3, To'omua at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 14. Much prefer to see Foley at 10 rather than Beale.

My guess at Link's first team is,
Slipper,
Moore (c),
Kepu,
Jones,
Simmons,
Fardy,
Hooper (vc),
Palu,
White,
Foley,
Cummins,
To'omua (vc),
Kuridrani,
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper),
Folau

TPN,
Sio,
Ryan,
Skelton,
Higgers,
Genia,
Beale,
McCabe.

On THPs, I would like to see Aloe-Emile brought into the squad in preference to switching Slipper or Cowan, or bringing in Pae.

My only change would be Hooper captain, why I think his natural game is leadership and the duty wont detract from what he brings.
Plus with some young players coming through I hope it could be a new generation of titles (Hooper / Jones / Sio/ Godwin (injured)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Typically, the Arabic number system indicates that White is wearing "9" on his back, as a rule. Not sure how you get that wrong.

Oh well I'm glad we cleared that up. Weren't you one of the people saying it HAD to be a To'omua/Lilo 10/12 combination because Brumbies?
I plead not guilty. And if you find a post otherwise I will plead temporary insanity as evidenced by my saying White/To'omua are a 10/12 combo. In fact, I have been consistent in calling for Bernie to play To'omua at 12 to reflect the Wallabies set up, but in any case I stand firm in my belief that either Genia or White are far better 9s than Phipps.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Genia will start. He had a great game on Friday so it's hard to say he's out of form. He's a proven big match test player and he is better suited to the style of game the wobs will play on saturday.

Genia was much better no doubt about it but White was outstanding vs the Rebels. Again their kicking games non-comparable. White's vastly superior.

Chronicle

Chris McKivat (8)
If we are looking at Fridays game as the marker what type of game are the Wallabies looking to play Genia kicked the ball in play 22 times. Yes he had a good game but it cannot be said his running game is back based on that game. Both White and Genia were credited with 3 try assists 2 of Genia were from kicks one of which would be considered fortunate at best. White has been in form all year and deserves an opportunity with the best team in the country to stake his claim. His performance last night was a great response on the eve on Wallaby selection.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Genia's box kick needs a lot of work. Different to his NZ and SA counterparts he struggles to keep his kick close to the sideline so that his upcoming defence can pin the receiver and ball down. Far too many of Genia's kicks land 15-20m infield and a good team will shift it quickly and make you pay the price with counter attack.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Genia was much better no doubt about it but White was outstanding vs the Rebels. Again their kicking games non-comparable. White's vastly superior.

I don't disagree with you, but Genia has the runs on the board at test level. If he was out of form I could see an argument for him to be replaced.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
And on the plus side, if Link picks enough Waratahs up front, at least he'll have something resembling a forward pack to deliver him some ball. unlike what he's had for a few months lately.

Is Genia's ankle in the clear at this point?
I'm sure Link knows how to use Microsoft Word and can easily move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to a different table cell.
Yeah To'omua back too 10

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Ryan in squad now that Alexander injured.

Predictions on run-on
1. Slipper
2. Moore and CAPTAIN
3. Kepu
4/5. Carter & Simmons
6 Fardy
7 Hooper
8. Palu - higgers just doesn't quite do enough
9 White
10 Foley
11/14 Badger and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)\
13 Kurindran
15 Izzy

12?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Nah, it's quite easy to say..........

One good game out of twelve does not equate good form.............

It's great for him that it was his most recent game, but unfortunately his main competitor also had a MOTM performance on the weekend............

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, this quick turnaround is going to benefit the incumbents..........

Not a great deal of time to be establishing new test combinations..........

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nah, it's quite easy to say....

One good game out of twelve does not equate good form.....

Well it depends how you rate his other games this year. he seems to have been improving over the last few weeks culminating in a very good performance on the weekend playing with a fill-in no.10

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyways, this quick turnaround is going to benefit the incumbents....

Not a great deal of time to be establishing new test combinations....
You could equally apply the argument about combinations to say they'd be better using combos functioning well at Super level, since the "incumbents" haven't played Test footy for > 6 months. Especially with key personnel changes mandated by Cooper and Alexander now being out.
Anyway, we'll know soon enough.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Link indicated in interview that he does not give too much consideration to backline combinations in Super 15. I remember him saying something to the effect of "these are highly skilled players. They come in and they tend to click pretty quickly with the guys around them"

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm sure Link knows how to use Microsoft Word and can easily move AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to a different table cell.

Sounds like more of a Microsoft Excel issue.

Watched the Tahs game again. Jeez sometimes I wish TPN could just prop so we could have both he and Moore on the park - among other things would get TPN's mobility/strength but without the crap-shoot lineouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Too early to mention Fotu as an addition to the squad? On yesterday's game I'd have him on the bench before Higgers - although he was playing at 6. That would also give you 2 8's in their twilight years....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
yeah, its got nothing to do with who is playing better though..the rationale is that Australia gets better value having Fardy to cover 4-8 than having Higginbotham on the bench as a reserve 6/8..also, 6 needs to be a c**t..Fardy is nearly one, Higginbotham IS one!

NO, no, no.....

Higginbotham acts like one
Fardy performs like a tough one

Status
Not open for further replies.