• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gits has had enough chances and I think the book is closed. We used to criticise the England cricket (and rugby) team for going back to mediocre or has-been players. Gits would fit into the latter category for me. I just don't see him in our best 22 any more.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
To get back to the topic of this thread, and with the RWC squad selection looming, the matter of the injured players in the frame worries me. Deeply. The players in question are TPN, Slipper, Robinson, Vickerman, Palu, Burgess, Barnes, Horne and Mitchell (the fact all but one of this group are from the Tahs pisses me off mightily. What the fuck are the strength and conditioning coaches at the Tahs doing this year?). Added to those nine one could reasonably add Elsom who's played bugger all rugby in 2011. Fit and well all those players would waltz into Australia's RWC squad but to take most of them is a huge risk. Even if the medical staff pass them there'll be a few underlying complications which will reoccur and take that player out.

At this stage it's difficult to see Robinson, Horne (a great shame after Saturday's defeat) and Mitchell making the cut. TPN on half a leg's far better than most other rakes in world rugby, he's on the plane. There's no doubt we need more punch from the number 8 so Palu will probably go and be kept in cotton wool. If Burgess goes there'll have to be another half-back; Deans 5/2 bench practice means most of the forwards will be in the 22 for nearly every game, risking injury and/or burnout. Taking Barnes is very tempting, and a huge gamble. But so many squad members returning from injury who've played so little rugby recently. I'm deeply worried.

Oh, and I'd definitely have Sharpe instead of Timani, RWCs aren't the place for those sort of experiments. TBH, I'd prefer he turn out for Tonga.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To get back to the topic of this thread, and with the RWC squad selection looming, the matter of the injured players in the frame worries me. Deeply. The players in question are TPN, Slipper, Robinson, Vickerman, Palu, Burgess, Barnes, Horne and Mitchell (the fact all but one of this group are from the Tahs pisses me off mightily. What the fuck are the strength and conditioning coaches at the Tahs doing this year?).

Just to clarify how does a strength and conditioning coach stop a dislocated ankle, a broken hand, a footballers migraine, a snapped knee ligament or an over extended elbow etc ?

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Even if they aren't 1st XV any more (although I'm sometimes not so sure), I'd like to see players like Waugh, Baxter and Mortlock in the squad. I know it is very unlikely, but I really think they have a lot to offer including (but not only) leadership, experience and mongrel.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Samo and Higgenbum perform well over the next two tests I would not select Palu.
He is a great asset when in form but has always taken a little while to get there. We could go through the whole RWC without him hitting his straps.
Probably Barnes will be selected and Mitchell, TPN and Fat Cat (if fit).
Horne must not be under consideration for this world cup. His time will come.
Vickerman has shown enough to be selected and will be a huge bonus if Sharpie or Horwill get injured.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would take Mitchell, Barnes, TPN, Fatcat but not Horne. They are all top class players and we will need them badly. Also it's not as if we can't replace players if their injury flares up again. So perennially injured players like TPN are still useful, because the moment he breaks down again we send him home and bring in Charles or Hanson.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Gonna have a guess at the squad (with it being announced next week).

Props: Kepu, Alexander, Slipper, Ma'afu
Hooker: Moore, Polota-Nau, S.Fainga'a
Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Sharpe, Vickerman
Backrow:Elsom, Pocock, Higginbotham, Hodgson, Samo, McCalman
Scrum-half: Genia, Burgess, Phipps
Inside Backs: Cooper, McCabe, Ashley-Cooper, A.Fainga'a, Barnes
Outside Backs: Beale, Ioane, O'Connor, Mitchell, Turner

Injury Covers: Daley, Hanson, Timani, Robinson, Palu, Giteau, Horne, Davies

Whilst I don't think Ma'afu is worthy of selection, Deans won't want to risk taking Robinson and Daley hasn't had a chance to push for selection. In the backrow, I don't think Palu will get selected either simply because of his lack of game time. If he does get picked I hope its at the expense of McCalman and not Samo. I'd also like to see Robinson selected over Hodgson, but it seems Deans favours Hodgson as the back up 7.

I think Barnes has done enough in club rugby (from reports) to be selected over Giteau, but I don't think Horne will be taken. And for that matter I don't think he deserves too, given A.Fainga'a's Super Rugby season. I hope Mitchell gets selected, is he playing club rugby this weekend?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Barnes only problem is worries by selectors he could be seriously hurt imo. If they have some expert advice saying he's good he could play 0 games before RWC and still be wanted I'd think.

Reactions: BPC

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Gonna have a guess at the squad (with it being announced next week).

Your squad mirrors exactly whom I think will be selected except I think Robinson might still make it over Hodgson, although that may be wishful thinking on my part. Horne just doesn't have enough experience in the Test set-up to risk throwing him in.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Barnes only problem is worries by selectors he could be seriously hurt imo. If they have some expert advice saying he's good he could play 0 games before RWC and still be wanted I'd think.

Barnes is already playing and playing well, I expect that he will be in that Aus Baa Baa team

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Aye tho thats not a test, it will no doubt be the last gate. Don't think he'd even need that if the selectors were satisfied about injury risk.

The big Q for me is Mitchell. Can he really get to form? It seems like a pipedream. One of those pie in the sky ideas that'll never happen.

And yet even if he did, no way Ioane or O'Connor is coming off. Any lingering pessimistic doubts even the most die hard cynic had about Ioane would have gone after that try past Mils, that step was so staggeringly good it will be used in coaching videos I expect. Timing was superb.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In Auckland last week and against Samoa.
He has more game time than Barnes of late but you seem to think the latter is ready.
Who would you take instead?

You must have been watching different games, from what I have seen so far Vickerman hasn't been up to scratch, either for the Wallabies or Uni.

T

tranquility

This if from a foxsports article;

"With Deans likely to include Horne in the Cup squad, the backs most under pressure appear to be winger Lachie Turner, who could lose his utility spot to Mitchell, and reserve midfielder Anthony Fainga'a, who knows former vice-captains Berrick Barnes and Matt Giteau are waiting for an opportunity."

If this is indicative of Dean's thinking, this is very interesting. I stand by my comments in the past, that he is one of the most talented footballers I have seen, but at this stage if he is being selected ahead of Berrick or even Ant it would be a tad surprising. Going to be a very interesting squad.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
The big Q for me is Mitchell. Can he really get to form? It seems like a pipedream. One of those pie in the sky ideas that'll never happen.

And yet even if he did, no way Ioane or O'Connor is coming off.
True, I wouldn't be taking them off either, but wouldn't you rather Mitchell to play against Russia ect instead of Turner and to be the back-up to those two. I'd rather have Mitchell as a back up then anyone else, game time or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.