• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies world cup squad selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antipodean

Agree with Iain Payten on the fullback and wing positions. Can't see Turner getting a gig as Deans is effectively taking four wingers anyway with McCabe.

Centres

I don't see how the pairing of McCabe and Two Dads is the best Test pairing the Wallabies can put field. McCabe has shown nothing to demonstrate he should be there over everyone else. Giteau or a fit Barnes is easily a better second five-eighths. O'Connor would be better than McCabe.

Anthony Fingers has to offer more, which he doesn't, but he's effective cover. Horne is an injury magnet whose one Test against the Blackness was an entirely forgettable affair but he has talent and time.

Five-eighths

Cooper with plenty of capable deputies in the squad.

Halfbacks

Genia, daylight, Burgess.

Back-row

Pocock, Elsom, Higginbotham, Palu (bench), Hodgson. Samo. McCalman is as effective as Brown so he won't be going.

Locks

Horwill easily. Sharpe if the selectors don't have an aneurysm. Simmons and Vickerman because there's no one else. Mumm is injured shit and Timani is too raw.

Front-row

Moore, Polota-Nau, Fainga'a, Alexander, Kepu, Slipper. Ma'afu will probably go as he's been selected this weekend. I wouldn't select him, I'd elect to use Pek Cowan in his place since Baxter is clearly unwanted.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Very disappointed Beau is no longer regarded as a possible squad member. There really is nobody who can cover for Pocock, but Beau is certainly his best understudy in my opinion.

Totally agree Riptide. And it's not as if DP has been injury-free this year. Perhaps RD's calculation is if DP is injured beyond the minor, he can I think under the IRB rules fly DP out of the RWC squad and (presumably) Beau R in as one-for-one replacement. Then IIRC DP cannot return, that's a permanent change to the selected RWC 30. But I would rather see Beau in the opening squad as any 'fly in' will have no WC match practice of any kind.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree with Iain Payten on the fullback and wing positions. Can't see Turner getting a gig as Deans is effectively taking four wingers anyway with McCabe.

Centres

I don't see how the pairing of McCabe and Two Dads is the best Test pairing the Wallabies can put field. McCabe has shown nothing to demonstrate he should be there over everyone else. Giteau or a fit Barnes is easily a better second five-eighths. O'Connor would be better than McCabe.

Anthony Fingers has to offer more, which he doesn't, but he's effective cover. Horne is an injury magnet whose one Test against the Blackness was an entirely forgettable affair but he has talent and time.

McCabe was outplayed on Saturday by Nonu but he still did some very good things, his role appears to straighten the attack and defend well. He was bloody good against the Boks and his pass under pressure for Elsom to score was first class against the ABs.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Lets face it we desperately need Barnes. We need someone that can step into the first reciever role on occasions to take the pressure off Cooper. Otherwise teams just concerntrate on putting pressure on coops

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think being on message is the most important thing now. A genuinely fit Horne is as important as TPN.

What a strange thing to say. Do you really believe that Horne has done enough for the wallabies to warrant that sort of comment?

He has a few average to good games for the wallabies, and barely played this year for the Tahs, whilst TPN has had some excellent games for the wallabies, and was a critical player everytime he was on the field for the Tahs. In fact he was THE critical player.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Lets face it we desperately need Barnes. We need someone that can step into the first reciever role on occasions to take the pressure off Cooper. Otherwise teams just concerntrate on putting pressure on coops

The don't directly put pressure on Cooper, it is more cutting down the space in the centres, which having another ball player out there isn't going to help.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Beale?

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The don't directly put pressure on Cooper, it is more cutting down the space in the centres

Is that not putting pressure on Cooper?

Disagree that another distributer wouldn't assist. Barnes has a cooler head than Cooper. Always has always will. I'd prefer to see him stepping in at first reciever now and then, rather than forcing cooper to do all the work. Cooper is the type of bloke that will overplay his hand if he's asked to do too much.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have BB and Gits who are both experienced in the role of 12/back-up 10 at test level.
Most likely only one of these guys will be chosen for the RWC.

Then you have JOC (James O'Connor) who has good experience this year at Super level in the same roles.
I would go with him personally.
Deans will probably go with Berrick and keep JOC (James O'Connor) in his back pocket.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The don't directly put pressure on Cooper, it is more cutting down the space in the centres, which having another ball player out there isn't going to help.

I agree to an extent. NZ restricted both Genia and Cooper's options to the few they felt obligated to chose. Having secured effective dominance at the tackle ball, NZ could structure their defense and drift with such agressive line speed that they were effectively forced down the wide channels in which NZ wanted them to play. Having another decision maker, say Barnes, who has the time and perspective and playmaking skills may really help. More than anything, getting quicker ball will go a long way to resolving Cooper's option taking.

But caveat emptor.. I admit to loving the idea of a hard running 12 like McCabe only a couple of weeks ago.

W

What2040

Funnily enough I think the performance of Kepu and Alexander against NZ has quelled my anxiety about losing the Cat somewhat. The scrum was solid and their workrate was very good. Obviously Robbo is a great player but now I have faith we can cover him.

Bit early yet BaBa - see how it goes tomorrow night and I might then agee

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
In my opinion, the following players are definitely going to New Zealand:
Hookers: TPN, Moore, Fainga'a
Props: Alexander, Kepu
Locks: Horwill, Simmons, Sharpe, Vickerman
Flankers: Elsom, Higginbotham, Pocock, Hodgson
Eights: McCalman

Scrumhalves: Genia, Burgess
Flyhalves: Cooper, Giteau
Centres: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Fainga'a
Wingers: O'Connor, Ioane
Fullbacks: Beale

With those 24 locked in, there's 6 spots up for grabs, most of which will come down to injuries. If Deans goes for the traditional split of players per position, then there's still room for the following:
1. Props x 2
2. Number Eight x 1
3. Flyhalf/Inside Centre x 1
4. Outside backs x 2

So who are the candidates? Well, as I said, those final few unconfirmed positions in the 30-man squad will largely be determined by injury. Currently, a large proportion of what would ideally be our match-day 22 is out and will see very limited game time until the World Cup actually begins (TPN falls into this group, but I think that Deans is going to take him over, regardless of whether he's at 100%, 80% or 60%). If all of our injured players miraculously come through before September, then I expect the following players to round out the squad:

Props: Robinson, Slipper
Number Eight: Palu
Flyhalf/Inside Centre: Barnes
Outside Backs: Mitchell and Horne

Within the group of named 'shadow players', I expect Lachie Turner to be next in line if any backs don't come through, Phipps to come in if Burgess goes down, Samo to cover the loose forwards, Timani to cover the locks, Ma'afu to cover the props and Hanson to get the call up if any of our rakes go down.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Props: Robinson, Slipper
Number Eight: Palu
Flyhalf/Inside Centre: Barnes
Outside Backs: Mitchell and Horne

Within the group of named 'shadow players', I expect Lachie Turner to be next in line if any backs don't come through, Phipps to come in if Burgess goes down, Samo to cover the loose forwards, Timani to cover the locks, Ma'afu to cover the props and Hanson to get the call up if any of our rakes go down.

I think you'r pretty close here. Although honestly ill be shocked if benn robinson is on the plane to NZ. Hope im wrong about that. Palu also is running out of time. Horne i expect will be there although i dont really know why. Barnes i understand is fit and I'd actually be more surprised to see barnes miss out than i would giteau. They should both be in the squad.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think you'r pretty close here. Although honestly ill be shocked if benn robinson is on the plane to NZ. Hope im wrong about that. Palu also is running out of time. Horne i expect will be there although i dont really know why. Barnes i understand is fit and I'd actually be more surprised to see barnes miss out than i would giteau. They should both be in the squad.

Yeah I'm interested to see how Fat Cat turns out, but if he's fit enough he'll go. Robbie wouldn't leave him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.