• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Play Mowen at 6 or
I think it's fair to say if we are choosing the best team, it means finding the best line out leader as it's one thing as a lock, which Horwill isn't. Possibly rules Douglas out and is about the only thing that gives Simmons another chance after his previous 12 months. Is MMM a line out leader?
Play Mowen at 6 or 8 and you have the line out leader we need.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Palu is suppose to be back this week. Just on him, it seems like he plays really well against the British and Irish teams, all his best games in gold have come against them.
Qwerty, just as you are unimpressed with Cooper ay 10, I have for some time been unimpressed with Palu at 8 (as you will no doubt know). While you are counting Quade's intercept passes, could you also count how many times Cliff gets tackled behind the gain line for the Tahs?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think that's his point Richo. He has zero form. I could be wrong though.

I figured, but it's a nonsensical statement since you can't have form -- good or bad -- if you're not playing! Anyway, BH81 is right. We'll get plenty of time to see where Barnes is at.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I think the front row will be the important factor and the positions which will give Australia the most headaches especially in selections. Games could be won or lost there

P

Paradox

I still think Mogg is going to need to continue to be a superstar in Super Rugby right up until the squad is selected to be a chance at being the starting 15. His defence will be a major worry, particularly with the potential that he will be the last line defender against the likes of Tuilagi, Roberts, BOD, Visser, and North. For someone with questionable tackling ability, these are not the sort of players you'd want running at him in open space..

That rules out Beale and Cooper then (and maybe JOC (James O'Connor) as well). That leaves us with Barnes at 10. Wing and fullback positions open. :eek: Folau turns the ball over a lot and that's probably worse than a mistackle so he gets ruled out as well.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Guys like Tuilagi, Roberts, BOD, Visser, North etc. aren't superstars. They're good, but they're not so good that entire game plans need to be built around shutting them down. Individually, I think Australia can put out a team that is just as good as the Lions on a man-to-man basis. If Deans and co. are interested in Mogg, but are worried about his defence, then get word out to Jake and make Auelua run over the top of him in training until he learns how to tackle.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
JOC (James O'Connor) is going down the pathway of suffering AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)-itis

I'd like to see more OZ players suffering from this particular ailment. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so often shines for us at test level. There is a reason they call him Mr fix-it. And I'd agree that O'Connor has those same quality.

I rate O'Connor very highly. I'd have faith in him regardless of the number on his back.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Agreed RE Mogg and his defence, have him practice his tackling one on one against Auelua and Speigh (the slipperiest man in the Brumbies squad). Repeatedly. Beale is gone for the series, or should be. He's out of form, now injured and unable to play, as well as his disciplinary stuff. He's gone.

Cooper is getting better with each passing game, and with no other real option that doesn't make me want to just cry (besides playing Lealiifano there and banking on him pulling his 2012 form out of the hat), at this stage i've inked him into my team alongside Genia. who is obviously a shoe in.

I see the value in playing Tapuai at 12 as he has test experience and a combination with Cooper, but Lealiifano is in arguably better form, and is our best goalkicking option, plus has proven BMT, and is a much more aggressive defender.

Palu is a busted flush, and out of form. He is consistantly tackled behind the gainline, struggles to play back to back games and doesn't look at all fit.

Higgers is playing ok, in a shit team that's struggling. Mowen is kicking arse and STANDING OUT, even with everyone else at the Brumbies playing as well as they are. He's the best jumper in Aus and is running the best lineout in Aus atm. Against a NH team that is sure to kick a lot and play set piece rugby, he should be a fucking shoe in. Lineouts are far, far more important than scrums, and if we don't have a dominant lineout, then good bye Lions trophy. We must have strong set pieces or we're screwed.

Smith is a shoe in. All we need is Suntroy to extend his holiday, and the Aru to sign him on a 6 month contract, with a get-out clause that Smith can enact after the series. Simple.

MMM is a rampaging animal, we need his raw, hairy angriness. Higgers likes to give newspaper interviews about him being angry and aggressive, but so far the only evidence i've seen of that in gold is him cheapshotting McCaw and getting banned. Well played dickhead, why don't you go out and actually just smash people and rucks like MMM is doing?

Who to partner Horwill in the 2nd row?! Douglas is a good option, Timani is just too lazy despite his big hit every 2nd game. Fardy is playing so well that I don't understand the total lack of interest in him? He constantly belts people in defence, hits rucks with serious venom, runs the ball very well, and is a pain int he arse at breakdowns as well, his turnover rate is very decent. Not quite as big as Douglas though, which is his only drawback but its only by about 3cm and 4kg, if that.

13 is a bit of an issue, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is finding some form at last and if he's in form, then he's our best option.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Seriously though, as Braveheart has said before, there is still a lot of rugby to be played between now and selection time. 'Form' players like Mogg, Mowen, Mafi etc. may not be firing in a few weeks time, that is the nature of form.

I am skeptical when people actively champion someone after they have played only a couple of good games. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Palu is class, not sure Mowen is. JOC (James O'Connor) is class, not sure about Mogg. Ioane is class, not sure about Mafi. The list goes on.

PS. Lealiifano has big match temperament? What, because he kicked a late penalty against the Bulls? Well how about we pick Bernard Foley as well? I'm a fan of Lilo but I can't see him bagging a run-on jersey for the Lions series. Bench at best IMO.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Folau turns the ball over a lot and that's probably worse than a mistackle so he gets ruled out as well.

Was this written tongue in cheek? Is Folau already notorious for losing possession? After 6 games?

he's certainly shown handling skill that are better than most rugby players in the country. Learning how and when to ensure you retain possession in the contact is one skill that you have to learn on the job.

6 games into the season he's made a big impression on me.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am skeptical when people actively champion someone after they have played only a couple of good games. Form is temporary, class is permanent. Palu is class, not sure Mowen is. JOC (James O'Connor) is class, not sure about Mogg. Ioane is class, not sure about Mafi. The list goes on.

Isn't there an article on the front page about Folau set to become a Wallaby this year?

Despite the fact that he hasn't even been half as impressive as some of those mentioned above?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Isn't there an article on the front page about Folau set to become a Wallaby this year?

Despite the fact that he hasn't even been half as impressive as some of those mentioned above?

First point is fair enough, but you do note I didn't pick him in my side to play the Lions. It was a prediction more than a 'championing' but I suppose that is splitting hairs.

And I wager Izzy has made big steps forward in the last few weeks where others have gone backwards. He isn't on their level yet, but he is certainly getting closer.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I am skeptical when people actively champion someone after they have played only a couple of good games.

You give Brumbieman a hose down while at the same time post 'Israel Folau will be a Wallaby in 2013' as a front page headline - saying nothing different about Folau that he said about Lealiifano? Fair go.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Again- it was more of a prediction. And you are more than welcome to be skeptical, given my record on predictions you probably should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.