• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Whaaaat?
Honestly, looking at the locks the majority of them are good at loose and tight play. Kimlin got the nod because of his work in both and O'Donoghue has looked good.

Gotta say that 4 and 15 were the spots I wasn't happy selecting for though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gill didn't play this week, smith had another quality game.

Neither did Nic White or Jesse Mogg but they've been standouts all year so they don't lose their spots on one week seeing as it's a form team of the season thus far. Smith is right behind Gill however.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Your selection for 15 RoffsChoice, has brought up something that I've recently wondered. Does anyone see Jono Lance coming into the Wallabies frame in the future?

I'm not talking Lions and probably not even this year but he is such a solid player. He doesn't really do anything flashy but he does the basics very well and very rarely makes errors. I know he isn't very quick but what are the thoughts on him?

EDIT: On re-reading my post I feel further justification for it was necessary. I thought he may come into the frame given that a lot of people will exclude players from playing test footy solely on their error rate. This made me think, could someone who's not an x-factor player get in on their error rate or lack thereof?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
^^^^ Scoey if you hadnt mentioned the name Lance, the word picture you described could be used for one of the more recent Wallaby match saviours - Aussie Mike.

If that CV worked for Aussie Mike to gain entry to Club Wobbly, it could do likewise for Jono L.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your selection for 15 has brought up something that I've recently wondered. Does anyone see Jono Lance coming into the Wallabies frame in the future?

If he keeps it up, he will be a Wallaby. Whether or not it will be in the 22 or just named, yet to see.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Interesting thoughts guys. Just putting it out there to see what the brains trust thinks!
He's the sort of guy I'd like to see get the call up one day. Not sure how many tests we'd win with a team full of Lance's but it could be interesting.
He's not had much footy at Super level yet but so wait and see.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Drew Mitchell today was almost back to his best. Good steps off both feet, ample pace: the battle hotting up for the wing positions.

yes probably the most hotly contested position. I'd say Mitchell, Ioane, OConnor, Speight, Honey Badger, Tomane, Mafi, Mogg all plausable options.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Re lance, he's someone I see at the moment as reliable, if a tad unspectacular. It's a bit hard to judge him when he's playing in different positions; probably not in his preferred position.

I think he'll get time at centre stage for the reds in the next few seasons. Then we'll see whether he's worthy of test rugby.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Lance works well in the reds because he adds stability. When you have players like QC (Quade Cooper) (JOC (James O'Connor) & Beale) who are extremely talented and have flashes of brilliance, but sometimes temperamental it is good to have players who can clean up and do the hard yards without goofin up. Right now i think Lance is a loooonng way off wallaby contention

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've only watched the Tahs and Reds games so far this round but from those teams:

For the Tahs:
Dennis put himself back on the map.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) further cemented himself into the 13 jersey with a very solid game.
Drew Mitchell boosted his chances of being there or there abouts again.
Benn Robinson didn't hurt his chances and is continuing to have a solid season. You'd figure he is likely to get first crack at LHP if fit.
Paddy Ryan continued to stake his claim as one of the better THP in the country. His ball running is probably only second to Alexander.
Michael Hooper was excellent again and I think he is in pole position for the 7 jersey after a tremendous 2012 and doing little wrong this year. Unless of course the ARU changes their policy about overseas contracted players in the case of George Smith.

For the Reds:
Genia was excellent and will by the Wallabies 9 if fit.
Horwill had a strong 40 minutes. It doesn't look like it will take him long to find his feet.
Rob Simmons had an excellent second half an will be pushing his name back up the locking stocks after a bad 2012 and average start to this season.
Quade Cooper had probably his best game of the year. Looked a lot more threatening and made fewer dumb mistakes. Still miles away from his 2011 Super Rugby form though.
Ed Quirk went a long way backwards. He had a poor game and I'd say that any thoughts of him being a contender for a Wallabies jersey have to be put on hold for now.

Other Wallabies or fringe Wallabies in both teams didn't really stand out as being exceptional or poor.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Your selection for 15 RoffsChoice, has brought up something that I've recently wondered. Does anyone see Jono Lance coming into the Wallabies frame in the future?

I'm not talking Lions and probably not even this year but he is such a solid player. He doesn't really do anything flashy but he does the basics very well and very rarely makes errors. I know he isn't very quick but what are the thoughts on him?

Would like to see him not having to defend at 10. Said it before and i probably will again, switching Cooper and whoever is at 15 does neither any favours for further honours and is not working as well for the Reds. The episode with Beale has put Cooper in the box seat for 10 though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Would like to see him not having to defend at 10. Said it before and i probably will again, switching Cooper and whoever is at 15 does neither any favours for further honours and the is not working as well for the Reds. The episode with Beale has put Cooper in the box seat for 10 though.
Just get Quade to make tackles like the ripper he put in on the weekend - technically good, hard and effective. Change the mindset / tactics so he has to tackle more of the time, and by all means use him in counter at times, but not religiously shuffling him back and forth. Use his unpredictability.
He proved to me that he can tackle well, as I suspected, and just doesn't for various reasons.
Currently, I do not want to see Beale anywhere near a Wallaby jersey, talent or not.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Would like to see him not having to defend at 10. Said it before and i probably will again, switching Cooper and whoever is at 15 does neither any favours for further honours and is not working as well for the Reds. The episode with Beale has put Cooper in the box seat for 10 though.

The difference with having Lance move up from 15 to 10 in defence is that Lance is a superb tackler so the move actually significantly strengthens the Reds defensive line whilst at the same time significantly strengthening the Reds counter attack capabilities.

If it's Lucas, Ioane or Harris that comes up into the front line there's no real gain in the Reds defensive line.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Unless of course the ARU changes their policy about overseas contracted players in the case of George Smith

I think policy should stay, however an exception to policy is required. If form says Smith should be picked he should be first picked.

He has always respected the Gold Jersey, has always served his country with distinction - and he will bring more than a quality game. He will be inspirational. Pocock only has half George's game they are equal over the ball, then with ball in hand chalk and cheese

Status
Not open for further replies.