• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Trying to learn how to become a team and not rely on one player? I like it, Folau is just another wheel in the cog, and if he goes the Tahs won't lose their manhood in attack.

Someone is finally turning the Waratahs into a team, and not about time. If they do well next year, playing attractive rugby (hopefully Folau sticks around), I think we might finally see Aussie rugby get the boost its been needing since 2003. A good Lions series, Link takes over after Dingo is lynched for the EOYT, we start winning things again and we'l get the crowds back. The Tahs HAVE to be successful, and playing entertaining rugby, they simply must, because they're the only rugby team in an entire league oriented city. They represent rugby to Sydney folk, and the shit they've served up the last few years has hurt our code.
Love this! Couldnt agree more with just about everything you said. But on the Folau point, yes he is just another 'wheel in the cog' but he can be used much more effectively and if he is we will no doubt see a lot of entertaining rugby follow.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
not to single you out but this is fallacious logic. Of course a lot of those stats came out of the Kings game, the Tahs thrashed the Kings. Something the Brumbies didn't do, do we discount the brumbies game too?

Statistics are a means of keeping an objective assessment but only if your data source is objective and only if you have enough data. 15 rounds of super rugby is a lot of data. 95 games. 355 odd players. 7,600 minutes of rugby. 114,000 minutes of player time. Up to 1,040 minutes of individual player time.

Statistics are only a general indicator, but they are a lot more reliable than the various one eyed opinions we all run into - including our own quite often.

Rant over.

I think you're taking my comments a bit out of context. I wasn't criticizing the ability of the team or discounting that game at all... They did a brilliant job that night and I was not trying to take that away from them. Cyclo was wondering why the team hasn't been doing better in general according to those statistics and I offered one of many possible explanations.

Again, not criticizing the team, just offering a possible explanation.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Circular argument Lewis, no one else has scored such a big score against the Kings, though as I recall Crusaders put them to the sword. The fact they did is a reflection of their offensive capabilities. Doesn't automatically follow however that the Tahs offense is always the best way to undo a defense, there is always an element of paper rock scissors.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Kurtley Beale to play for the Galloping Greens this weekend in the Shute Shield.

Apparently he's successfully completed the first round of the rehab program....

Thoughts / opinions / views on whether he'll make the additional six men added to the Wallabies squad????

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Kurtley Beale to play for the Galloping Greens this weekend in the Shute Shield.

Apparently he's successfully completed the first round of the rehab program..

Thoughts / opinions / views on whether he'll make the additional six men added to the Wallabies squad????
Will he have time to play a game of Soup before it's named? If he does, then yes. Proven ability to win matches by hand and foot. Brilliant combination with O'Connor. Best fullback in Australia when fit. Can you imagine him, JOC (James O'Connor), Folau and Digby charging around together? Carnage.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Circular argument Lewis, no one else has scored such a big score against the Kings, though as I recall Crusaders put them to the sword. The fact they did is a reflection of their offensive capabilities. Doesn't automatically follow however that the Tahs offense is always the best way to undo a defense, there is always an element of paper rock scissors.

I'll say it again. I was offering one of many possible explanations. I wasn't arguing in the first place so not going to go into this any further.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

Apparently he's successfully completed the first round of the rehab program..

according to this, Kurtley has been cleared to play.... but it's too much of a risk for him to return to melbourne... but he's in contention for the Lions. Seems slightly illogical that you aren't 'better' enough to travel interstate & play super rugby but you'll be OK in the biggest rugby series going... so that means he'll do just that no doubt.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...allaby-selection/story-fndptke0-1226651657584

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Beale has to be an 80%-90% chance of playing in the Lions Series. I think he's too important a player to leave out, though he might only have a few club games under his belt before the first test.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Picture this: First game over, Wallabies won, he goes out and has a couple to drink - instant news story.
Similarly, Wallabies lose, he goes and drowns his sorrows - instant news story.

Then again, alcoholism is a disease, alcoholics don't need an excuse to drink, it just happens more often when they have a reason.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
according to this, Kurtley has been cleared to play.. but it's too much of a risk for him to return to melbourne. but he's in contention for the Lions. Seems slightly illogical that you aren't 'better' enough to travel interstate & play super rugby but you'll be OK in the biggest rugby series going. so that means he'll do just that no doubt.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...allaby-selection/story-fndptke0-1226651657584

I don't think it is unreasonable for the guy to make baby steps on your way back, but I think he has as much chance as Quade does of being in the initial 31

But again you don't tell the guy that you give him steps and goals, some of which may be unobtainable, but you still give them.

But if in a month he is under control, playing well and there are injuries, who knows.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cooper left out due to toxic comments. Beale will likely get in when his behaviour is just as toxic - yes, punching your teammates is toxic behaviour. Moral of the story - don't upset the Dingo.

The difference is that both of Beale's fights were ARU sanctioned. :D

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cooper left out due to toxic comments. Beale will likely get in when his behaviour is just as toxic - yes, punching your teammates is toxic behaviour. Moral of the story - don't upset the Dingo.

Beale was drunk, has now admitted his problems and is working through them, what is Quade's excuse?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
You seriously think he's the only Australian rugby player to ever punch a teammate? Come on. And that's really not why Cooper was left out - part of the reason at best.

T

Train Without a Station

How from a playing perspective is Beale any less of a risk than Quade? Defence is probably worse, makes plenty of errors too.

Status
Not open for further replies.