• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Calling that Welsh team average isn't being negative, it's being true to reality. They were nowhere near as good as they were in the RWC and won the 6 Nations this year in what was effectivey a two-horse race. To top it off they played themselves out of the Australian series. Two of the games were lost by Wales and one was 'won' by Australia. Even just replace Priestland with literally anyone else with two legs and two arms and the Welsh win the series 2-1.

They were the 'best' Welsh side to tour because for a long while up until the past 7-8 years Wales were pretty horrible.
think every one agrees with the last part of your post, even the most die hard of Welsh fans, I know I shouldn't but into this thread as its one that's debating the Aussie candidates, But for you who think the lions have picked too many Welsh players and will suffer for it, couldn't be more wrong, Over the last ten years we have got better, To the point now where we are disappointed if we lose and look for ways to put things right. Ten even five years ago this would have been unheard of we would have come away using the old adage, We are on a learning curve, that hasn't been said for some time now, players are critical of them selves and say so
I personally am looking forward to this lions clash. But for those of you who think you will win 3-0 don't watch.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
think every one agrees with the last part of your post, even the most die hard of Welsh fans, I know I shouldn't but into this thread as its one that's debating the Aussie candidates, But for you who think the lions have picked too many Welsh players and will suffer for it, couldn't be more wrong, Over the last ten years we have got better, To the point now where we are disappointed if we lose and look for ways to put things right. Ten even five years ago this would have been unheard of we would have come away using the old adage, We are on a learning curve, that hasn't been said for some time now, players are critical of them selves and say so
I personally am looking forward to this lions clash. But for those of you who think you will win 3-0 don't watch.

I don't think anyone here believes we are going to win 3-0... Especially not with the team that our head coach will most likely pick. I see it (personally) as logical to have your representative side made up (mostly or more than other teams) of the team/ nation/ region that is performing best in the competition below. It's sensible isn't it? Obviously there are going to be players from other provinces that are stand outs but the team performing best is clearly the one with the best culture/ nucleus of players and they should have at least a significant presence in the representative side.

Here in Australia we like to choose a majority of our players from sides that aren't performing as well (Sorry Tahs fans, last year wasn't a high point and I know I'm going to get shot down for this) and thus experience the consequences...

Reactions: BDA

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think we are going to win 3-0
despite all the doomsayers- at the end of the day we are australia and australians win
they are poms- and poms lose... then whinge about it

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It is very hard to predict a result for the series at this point.
How are the Lions going to come together. On paper they will be a very good side but can Gatland get them to gel as Ted could not?
Deans has all his players available with the exception of Pocock, and actually has one or two extra options on deck. Can he put together the strongest possible Wallaby side and have them hit the ground running? Selection and creating team harmony have not been his strong points.
This series could go any way.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
i think we are going to win 3-0
despite all the doomsayers- at the end of the day we are australia and australians win
they are poms- and poms lose. then whinge about it
Love the positive attitude.

You may not want to watch the Ashes though. Or any highlights from the Olympics. Or last years Tour de France. :)

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Deans has all his players available with the exception of Pocock, and actually has one or two extra options on deck. .

This is a real bonus - although it seems likely that he has also lost Beale and Taps (on form). But the plus is the number of guys back from injury (touch wood) & also guys in much better form. Compared to last year the fitness & form of the likes of Robinson, Douglas, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Slipper, Cooper, Genia, Simmons, Horwill, Gill, White, Mowen, Lealifano, Mogg, Tomane, O'Conner plus the potential availability of Smith, McMeniman & Folau puts us in a much stronger position. In particular, I feel optimistic that our set peices will be improved, we'll be stronger at the breakdown and or back line will, at the very least, cease the poor chip kicking which squandered so much ball (I actually think they'll comfortably improve on last year).

Those couple of things alone make me optomistic.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I expect that Deans will stick largely with guys he has faith in, and that will lead to some selections that are questioned. But at present he has guys available who mostly weren't last year (such as Genia, Horwill & O'Conner) and, IMO the remainder of the list of players above are all playing better (some by a fair margin) then last year. He might not pick what we all consider to be the best team, but he can't help but pick a better team.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
+ TACKLING

fair call. tackling is right at the top of the list for both positions.

All the contenders are pretty good tacklers save Dennis and Hooper

Dennis in the EOYT seemed to just hold on an drag his men to ground rather than actually engage his shoulders in any contact. Got the blokes down OK, but made it very easy to get over the ad line & secure clean quick ball. I haven't seen enough Tahs games this year to comment on recent form.

Hooper leads the table on missed tackles in super Rugby this year

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Berrick Barnes, Ben Tapuai, Pat McCabe. Before the S15 season started these three guys would have been the prime contenders for the Wallaby No 12 jumper, now we see none of them in the starting 15 of their respective Super sides. It certainly reflects the different style of rugby the Super coaches are looking for v Deans.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Berrick Barnes, Ben Tapuai, Pat McCabe. Before the S15 season started these three guys would have been the prime contenders for the Wallaby No 12 jumper, now we see none of them in the starting 15 of their respective Super sides. It certainly reflects the different style of rugby the Super coaches are looking for v Deans.

I would say that only Tapuai has been dropped. Barnes and McCabe would both be likely starters if they hadn't been injured for various parts of the season. If the Brumbies weren't going so well, McCabe would have displaced somoene in the starting lineup.

Barnes would have been the Tahs 12 if he'd been fit all season. Thankfully Horne was been playing excellent football but it is silly to think that Barnes couldn't be doing that as well. 12 is arguably his best position (and I definitely know that Barnes cites it as his favourite position).

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
In terms of picking a series win I agree it's way too early. We probably wont know much until the first game at Suncorp is over.

Funnily enough I actually think George Smith's selection could possibly hand us the favourites tag. Not that I think he is a better player (on current form) than Gill and Hooper, or that he necessarily should, or needs to, be picked, but his reputation, leadership and presence of the field will make us an intimidating unit. Again I'm not advocating his inclusion one way or the other. I'm sure Gill and Hooper will play their hearts out.

There is some comments above about Hooper's missed tackle count. I think there will be a seriously dilemma facing the selector as to who starts at no.7. In my view Pocock is by far and away the world's best defensive player. He's not as well rounded as either Hooper or Gill, but his work at the breakdown is so dominant that he can single handledly shut down the opposition's attack. He is a massive loss no matter how you spin it. You know Deans is likely to play a defensive style game-plan and pocock would have been key to that approach. Hooper I see as on the other end of the spectrum; he's one of the most dynamic attacking 7s in world rugby, but we doesn't really stamp his authority on the breakdown. We know Hooper can make an impact for the Wallabies, but im not sure its what we are looking for from our 7 in this series. Gill seems to be a happy medium, but a question still remains whether he can make the sort of impact we need from our 7. He is still probably two years off hitting his peak and ideally he would have continued to play a bench role for the wallabies until at least the 2013 EOYT.

Again I'm not advocating Smith's inclusion but he probably suits the mould best in terms of what we are looking for at 7 (i.e. the player most likely to replicate Pocock's presence on the field). At this stage I think its unlikely we will see smith play.

In hindsight 2012 was a very productive year for us in terms of building depth in key positions. It was only two years ago that we were scratching our head as to what to do when Sharpe left, with the most suitable back-up being an out-of-form Rob Simmons. Now the Lock stocks are healthy with the addition of Douglas, Timani and MMM (all with test experience). The loss of Pocock in 2012 seemed disastrous but in 2013 seem manageable.

Most importantly the prop stocks are healthy (touch wood). Success against the Lions certainly rests on keeping our top props off the injured list.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...ons/story-e6frf55l-1226644687499#.UZTNB7WmiAg

Get your votes in Gents.

Edit: Sanchez and his good mate Quados have comfortable leads. To'omua ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) at this stage.

They are picking a very good side so far. Only small point of contention for me is i'd play Higgers at 6, Palu 8 and Gill 7 but would be happy to see that team run out.

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Simmons
5 Horwill
6 Mowen
7 Smith
8 Higgers

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I would say that only Tapuai has been dropped. Barnes and McCabe would both be likely starters if they hadn't been injured for various parts of the season. If the Brumbies weren't going so well, McCabe would have displaced somoene in the starting lineup.

Barnes would have been the Tahs 12 if he'd been fit all season. Thankfully Horne was been playing excellent football but it is silly to think that Barnes couldn't be doing that as well. 12 is arguably his best position (and I definitely know that Barnes cites it as his favourite position).

Didn't McCabe only start at 12 last year because To'omua was injured and that forced Lealiifano to move inside? Unless Kuridrani hits an ice-cold streak of form of something I can't name a single player in the starting lineup that he would displace.

Disclaimer: No, I don't hate Pat. I just want to hear your opinion on it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They are picking a very good side so far. Only small point of contention for me is i'd play Higgers at 6, Palu 8 and Gill 7 but would be happy to see that team run out.

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 Simmons
5 Horwill
6 Mowen
7 Smith
8 Higgers

The silly thing about the Fox Sports poll is when they were doing the backrow, the Rugby HQ guys pretty much all agreed on Higgers at 6 and Palu at 8 and then when you went to vote, Higgers was only an option at 8.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Didn't McCabe only start at 12 last year because To'omua was injured and that forced Lealiifano to move inside? Unless Kuridrani hits an ice-cold streak of form of something I can't name a single player in the starting lineup that he would displace.

McCabe also missed the start of 2012 from memory because of a shoulder reconstruction after the RWC.

13 would be the most likely position he'd take this year if he's to earn a starting position back.

It's hard to say exactly what would have happened at the Brumbies last season. To'omua was available for very little of the season.

I don't think Kuridrani's form has been overly convincing in the tougher games. He looks great against the weaker sides but he hasn't really stood up in the big games (such as against the Reds and Crusaders).

Status
Not open for further replies.