• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
My reasonably reliable, but no means 100% reliable, mail is that JOC (James O'Connor) will be 10 and KB (Kurtley Beale) will be 15, unless Pulver/Board decides to punish him severely. IF on the wing.

With this line up, especially if Lilo is at 12, the Wallabies might have too many chiefs and not enough Indians. They could have 4 blokes who like to pop up at first receiver and make things happen. Deans would be running the risk of having a back line looking confused and muddled because everyone is trying something different (I'm well aware that the Wallabies have looked confused and muddled for a long time). Right now I'd say pick Izzy at 15 or have him on the bench as outside back cover, he doesn't need to shoe horned into the team.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Where does Quade sit in that pecking order? He doesn't have versatility to be the ideal bench player. I still think he's the one player that the Lions will prioritise shutting down. That degree of respect is double-edged and opens up opportunities for our other damaging backs to exploit.

At the Rebels v Kings game I found myself at the bar chatting with a former Wallaby who's now a part of the Rebels rugby department (not sure if that's what you call it, but a non-coaching role).

He hinted that QC (Quade Cooper) was still on the outer after his toxic outburst and that Dingo had, and does, take it personally.

I'd hope that petty personal grievances don't play a role in the selection of our 10 as from what i've seen this season, JOC (James O'Connor) really shouldn't be charged with running the backline.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They won't prioritise shutting him down, they'll prioritise pressuring him so he throws intercepts or gets charged down. He won't be selected because he has zero Test match temperament.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I've never been a fan of Simmons but I'd argue he's played the best football of his career in the last half a dozen or so weeks.

He definitely deserves a place in the squad and depending on the backrowers picked is a likely partner for Horwill in the test team. With Palu the likely number 8, it definitely improves Simmons' chances of being Horwill's partner for his lineout prowess.

On a side note, his head bandage against the Force was one of the all time shockers. All it could have stopped was his hair bleeding.

I agree with this. I said "like it or not" in my previous post because Timani and Simmons (less so) have been pretty disputed options previously. 3 weeks ago, I thought it should be Douglas with Horwell. Now I think it should be Simmons, especially if Higgers is at 6. Simmons is a pretty experienced caller.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
-I've made this point before, but its a bit rich to measure Cooper's performances for the reds this season (playing outside an excellent pack and the world's best no.9) against JOC (James O'Connor)'s performances (playing outside an average pack and an average halfback). I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) will do a decent job for us at 10, as will Cooper, if he's chosen.

-I could handle McCabe starting at 12 if the plan is to bring Lilo on in the final 30 once the physicality of the game has died down somewhat.

-One possible unintended benefit of Cooper playing at 10 is that we will know that the Lions will probably commit a lot of their time and resources to trying to attack his channel. Not that the Lions aren't already predictable enough but this should only make planning easier.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The only reason that JOC (James O'Connor) would look dangerous at 10 is by passing out to Beale in the 13 channel.

I don't recall many games where Cooper has played 10 with Beale at 15? Is my memory failing me?

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
That's good news, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale must be 10 and 15. Don't care which way, they can even alternate during games.
I just think that the combination between genia and Cooper cant be matched, its hard to have one without the other, they just have that unspoken connection, the same vision. In saying that however JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale have the same kind of connection and so to not have them together would be silly.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
-I've made this point before, but its a bit rich to measure Cooper's performances for the reds this season (playing outside an excellent pack and the world's best no.9) against JOC (James O'Connor)'s performances (playing outside an average pack and an average halfback). I'm sure JOC (James O'Connor) will do a decent job for us at 10, as will Cooper, if he's chosen.

-I could handle McCabe starting at 12 if the plan is to bring Lilo on in the final 30 once the physicality of the game has died down somewhat.

-One possible unintended benefit of Cooper playing at 10 is that we will know that the Lions will probably commit a lot of their time and resources to trying to attack his channel. Not that the Lions aren't already predictable enough but this should only make planning easier.

It is clear for all to see that JOC (James O'Connor) is not a flyhalf. He has the skills to do the job, but he doesn't know how to use them in the 10 role.

Even Damian Smith knows this. Hence Beale starting the season at 10, and even when Beale was suspended JOC (James O'Connor) didn't immediately move to 10!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The only reason that JOC (James O'Connor) would look dangerous at 10 is by passing out to Beale in the 13 channel.

I don't recall many games where Cooper has played 10 with Beale at 15? Is my memory failing me?

You serious? Just about the whole of 2010 and 2011 when Beale was not injured..

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
I comp
Cosmo Jones - I don't think Dennis is going to be in the starting side and will probably struggle to make the squad. His form has been improving a lot though and if MMM can't get fit his chances will improve dramatically as he can cover 6 and 4.

I think Mowen and Higgers are playing for the 6 jersey because I expect Palu to be 8.

I doubt Cooper is going to be selected at 10.
I agree, when i wrote that i thought Higgers could take the 6 jersey but Dennis has seriously improved this season. Personally, i would much prefer to see Mowen at 8 rather than Palu, he's led the Brumbies from that position so well this season (he is also very interchangeable at 6).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Beale's best rugby was played with Cooper at 10.

2010-11, or else i'm going senile!

Possibly also co-inciding with Cooper's best games in gold?

Certainly he was better with Beale at 15 than he was when he had the double whammy of two non passing centres plus AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Where has this position that QC (Quade Cooper) doesn’t have the temperament for test rugby come from? Out of the main contenders for the 10 jumper, he’s the only one with considerable winning experience at a test and S15 level.

Too many hail marys being thrown about here in regards to selection. Keep it simple and minimise the exposure to risk by playing experienced blokes in the positions they’re most accustomed to.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
McCabe
Ashley-Cooper
O’Connor
Beale

Flame me for McCabe but he’s a nugget and will never shirk a tackle and will be surrounded by ball players.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
To
Where has this position that QC (Quade Cooper) doesn’t have the temperament for test rugby come from? Out of the main contenders for the 10 jumper, he’s the only one with considerable winning experience at a test and S15 level.

Too many hail marys being thrown about here in regards to selection. Keep it simple and minimise the exposure to risk by playing experienced blokes in the positions they’re most accustomed to.

Genia
Cooper
Ioane
McCabe
Ashley-Cooper
O’Connor
Beale

Flame me for McCabe but he’s a nugget and will never shirk a tackle and will be surrounded by ball players.
No way would i have McCabe over Leali. Leali is a gun defender, havent seen him miss a tackle in forever and he is consistently shutting down opposition 12s. Not to mention the fact that Leali has great hands and can play 1st receiver if need be (plus he was one of the best goal kicking percentages in Australia). McCabe can tackle yes, but thats it. He is essentially a potato in attack. I also think itd be crazy not to have Folau in the team given his big game experience, impeccable form and just general skill.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just think that the combination between genia and Cooper cant be matched, its hard to have one without the other, they just have that unspoken connection, the same vision. In saying that however JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale have the same kind of connection and so to not have them together would be silly.

Genia and Cooper do make a good combination but saying it's hard to have one without another is silly. Genia is going to be picked at halfback regardless of who plays 10. He is the best 9 in Australia by a large distance.

Ultimately, I think Cooper's non-selection will come down to the fact that Deans will consider his job on the line in this series and will be thinking that it will be a close series where potentially one decisive moment will decide the series either way.

In the same vein that we lost the '89 series on the back of one cataclysmic error, there'll be the fear that the same could potentially happen in 2013 and Cooper would be a prime candidate to commit it.

Rightly or wrongly, I think that is why Deans will run with someone who is considered a safer option at 10 like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale.

Status
Not open for further replies.