• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's quite an interesting comment considering his form there certainly suggests otherwise. Other than a couple of decent games for the Rebels, I'm not sure what he has shown to suggest he is even capable at 10, let alone better than at 15, let alone potentially the best option in the country.

I'm not sure why so many people discount him. He played 10 for the Wallabies last year with a halfback most people consider to be rubbish and the majority of our best players missing from the backline.

Our results over that time were quite reasonable considering.

The guy who many people think should be 10 for the Wallabies (Cooper) sucked when he played with the same backline.

He played 10 throughout his junior years, took the Tahs to the final in 2008 at 10 (when he was really young) and has an excellent all round game.

I'm guessing Beale will get a chance to play 10 this year with a lot more of our star players in the backline. Maybe we'll get a better idea of how good he is in the position then.

T

Train Without a Station

I'm not sure why so many people discount him. He played 10 for the Wallabies last year with a halfback most people consider to be rubbish and the majority of our best players missing from the backline.

Our results over that time were quite reasonable considering.

The guy who many people think should be 10 for the Wallabies (Cooper) sucked when he played with the same backline.

He played 10 throughout his junior years, took the Tahs to the final in 2008 at 10 (when he was really young) and has an excellent all round game.

I'm guessing Beale will get a chance to play 10 this year with a lot more of our star players in the backline. Maybe we'll get a better idea of how good he is in the position then.

My comment is based on his lack of genuine quality tactical kicking, tendancy to run too laterally and starve options outside and his lack of quality decent length passing ability. In addition even in bad games, Quade creates options and looks a threat to defence, it's his error rate that is the issue.

Most of Kurtley's issues can be seen when he was playing 15 in a team looking good, poor halfback and average team around him just served to amplify them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But who knows. Perhaps next (inevitible) indiscretion he will fall off the wagon, gain 20kg and play 10. For South Sydney.

What's your problem with Owen Craigie?

702403_1_M.jpg

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think the six that we'll see added to the squad after the 7 June look something like:

1. Barnes: needs the game time for the Tahs. If he is selected in the initial squad he'll be very underdone.
2. MMM: same as Barnes above.
3. Palmer: in all likelihood there'll be 5 props in the 31 man squad. I assume Alexander, Kepu, Slipper and Robinon will be the first picked. I think this will be largely dependent on the Tah's vs Brumbies on 17 May.
4. Cooper: I don't expect Deans to name Cooper in the initial squad. I think he'll be held back for the Reds vs Lions game for the coaches to see how be plays against the Lion's systems / patterns.
5. Mowen: Again, I can't see Mowen in the initial 25 picked. It's been quoted in the press that the initial 25 man squad will be largely dependent on the positioning of teams for the finals. I therefore can't see Dean's picking Mowen, the captain of the Ponies who have very real finals hopes in the initial 25 man squad. I do expect, however that he'll be in the 31 man squad.
6. McCabe or Mogg: If McCabe is in the initial 25 man squad, then I'll expect Mogg to get the last jersey. If Mogg is selected in the 25 man squad, then I expect McCabe to be given a full game against the Force, then back into the Wallabies fold.

I think the ARU has said that if any Aust team is in the running for the S15 finals, some of their players will be allowed to continue playing. At this time, I can see both the Reds and Brumbies still being in the loop, so there is a chance that the whole 6 (or most of) will be from those teams, especially now that Murphy has lost the rest of the season to an ACL injury. If, as many postulate, Benny A, Palmer and Sio were to be included in the initial 25, the Brumbies could not field a front row for the following S15 games. I can see only Ben Alexander initially being included with both Sio and Palmer being available for the Brumbies. In line with the ARU's undertaking, I think it is very likely that Mowen, Mogg, Smith, Hansen/Fainga'a, QC (Quade Cooper), and Tapuai will also miss out initially so there is every chance that the last 6 to be added to the Wallabies' squad will all come from the Reds and Brumbies. That would mean that decisions about injured players would have to be made earlier than otherwise. In that event, I hope they have the good sense to pass over any players that haven't proved their fitness and form in time for the initial squad announcement.

In my view, Honey Badger is back in contention based on last week's game, but Barnes and MMM (unfortunately) are not yet there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
On what planet is Burgess a journeyman?

I am not advocating for Burgess to be picked against the Lions but he has played 37 tests for the Wallabies, a lot of Super Rugby, won a French Top 14 competition and made it to the finals this year.

Burgess has played a lot of tests and my recollection is that he was roundly criticised by most posters on this forum after most if not all of those appearances. Short memories.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Rebels will shortly announce KB (Kurtley Beale) has been stood down for this weekend's game against the Blues due to breaching his behavioural guidelines agreed to by him, the ARU and the Rebels.

It depends on the severity of the infringement but this surely takes all of the gloss off of his return last week. He's possibly in a worse position now r.e. Wallaby selection and future contracts in rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Burgess has played a lot of tests and my recollection is that he was roundly criticised by most posters on this forum after most if not all of those appearances. Short memories.

How does that make him a journeyman though?

Realistically he was the second best halfback in Australia through all that time (and the best for a short period before Genia took over).

In a similar vein to Nick Phipps, it seems ridiculous to criticise the player for not being brilliant when every other available option is worse than them.

Surely Brett Sheehan would be a more realistic person to call a journeyman. Even that might be a little harsh.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Yeh we definitely look well placed for the 2015 WC. We'll have a squad packed full of experienced test players. Guys like Pocock, Genia, Horwill, O'Connor, beale (Folau?) etc will still be in their prime. Our props will be in their prime. The 2011 RWC came too early for us but 2015 will be perfectly time. Too bad about the nightmare draw.

The only question mark is who will be the man to take over from Palu. Higgers perhaps?

A bigger question for me is who is the man to take over from Deans? If he's still there, kiss the Cup goodbye. On a positive note, I think its likely that there will be a few new names coming though in that timeframe to displace some that we might now think are good things, eg Godwin, F'Sautia, Foley, and No6 at the Force, Cotterill.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
How does that make him a journeyman though?

Realistically he was the second best halfback in Australia through all that time (and the best for a short period before Genia took over).

In a similar vein to Nick Phipps, it seems ridiculous to criticise the player for not being brilliant when every other available option is worse than them.

Surely Brett Sheehan would be a more realistic person to call a journeyman. Even that might be a little harsh.

I didn't call him a jouneyman, but was just pointing out that he didn't meet most people's expectations as a test match No 9 even if he was the second best at the time. I would have Nic White any day over Burgess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would pick Nic White over Luke Burgess now too. It will be interesting to see how both go in Super Rugby next year though.

As an aside, when I was looking at our various recent halfbacks records, a seemingly interesting statistic popped up:

Chris Whitaker - 31 tests, 70.96% wins
Nick Phipps - 12 tests, 70.83% wins
George Gregan - 139 tests, 67.62% wins
Luke Burgess - 37 tests, 67.56% wins
Will Genia - 41 tests, 50% wins

Pretty surprising how low Will Genia's winning percentage is.

HSM

Allen Oxlade (6)
Rebels will shortly announce KB (Kurtley Beale) has been stood down for this weekend's game against the Blues due to breaching his behavioural guidelines agreed to by him, the ARU and the Rebels.

It depends on the severity of the infringement but this surely takes all of the gloss off of his return last week. He's possibly in a worse position now r.e. Wallaby selection and future contracts in rugby.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...eaking-booze-ban/story-e6frg7o6-1226638250105

Sad news. I'm not a Rebels supporter or an Aussie, but for the sake of rugby I wish he could get his act together.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I think the ARU has said that if any Aust team is in the running for the S15 finals, some of their players will be allowed to continue playing. At this time, I can see both the Reds and Brumbies still being in the loop, so there is a chance that the whole 6 (or most of) will be from those teams, especially now that Murphy has lost the rest of the season to an ACL injury. If, as many postulate, Benny A, Palmer and Sio were to be included in the initial 25, the Brumbies could not field a front row for the following S15 games. I can see only Ben Alexander initially being included with both Sio and Palmer being available for the Brumbies. In line with the ARU's undertaking, I think it is very likely that Mowen, Mogg, Smith, Hansen/Fainga'a, QC (Quade Cooper), and Tapuai will also miss out initially so there is every chance that the last 6 to be added to the Wallabies' squad will all come from the Reds and Brumbies. That would mean that decisions about injured players would have to be made earlier than otherwise. In that event, I hope they have the good sense to pass over any players that haven't proved their fitness and form in time for the initial squad announcement.

In my view, Honey Badger is back in contention based on last week's game, but Barnes and MMM (unfortunately) are not yet there

Yeah.... but the Reds have a bye that weekend.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
If, as many postulate, Benny A, Palmer and Sio were to be included in the initial 25, the Brumbies could not field a front row for the following S15 games.

Personally, I think there is buckley's chance all three will make the 31 man squad.

Palmer at a push.

Sio for the end of year tour, not against the Lions.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think there'll be five props in the 31 man squad seeing as we need four on matchday.

Robbo, Alexander and Slipper will be the first three picked and will definitely be in the initial 25 man squad.

It's questionable whether there will be a fourth picked in the 25 man squad. If there is, I would imagine it would be Kepu as the Tahs have least reason to complain about missing players (the Brumbies will cry blue murder if they're forced to lose two props in the initial 25 for their game against the Rebels).

If they only pick three props in the initial 25, Kepu, Palmer, Ryan and Sio (and Pek Cowan I guess) will be fighting it out for two spots in the final 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd suggest there will be a fourth prop picked in the 25 man squad. They'll need one in order to do opposed scrumaging at training.

True story.

I'm going to guess that it will be Kepu because Jake White will whinge endlessly if he loses Alexander and either Palmer or Sio.

Palmer, Sio and Ryan would then fight it out for the final prop spot.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
True story.

I'm going to guess that it will be Kepu because Jake White will whinge endlessly if he loses Alexander and either Palmer or Sio.

Palmer, Sio and Ryan would then fight it out for the final prop spot.
I fail to see how these 3 are ahead of Holmes. Kepu would be behind him too in my view.

He seems to be the forgotten man of Australian rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.