• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
He wont be the only player Sio runs over in his time. Pretty sure most blokes have been run over at one time or another... from the limited minutes I have seen him play he has been a sound defender. I say nuggety as he has that type of build and I have seen him tackle well in tight.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
He wont be the only player Sio runs over in his time. Pretty sure most blokes have been run over at one time or another... from the limited minutes I have seen him play he has been a sound defender. I say nuggety as he has that type of build and I have seen him tackle well in tight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why not Beale? He's only 23 I think.

He'll be the 10 :D

Potential Wallabies 2015 RWC team:

Robinson
Moore
Slipper
Pyle
Horwill
Higginbotham
Hooper
Mowen
Genia
Beale
Speight
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

TPN
Alexander
Sio
Douglas
Gill
White
Mogg
To'omua/Cooper

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
It is illogical to suggest that Burgess is not a quality player - or that Australia could disregard his experience - accepting the fact that I do not see how he would be eligible for this series (then again, I also don't see how a wallaby contender could conceive of signing an overseas contract that excludes him from a once-in-a-career experience like a Lions Tour, and then want to come back the very next season)...

(... likewise, I hope Carl Heyman enjoys having the dollars in the bank, enough to make up for never having a World Cup winners Medal).

I have to say that I never found Burgess' play particularly interesting or compelling in the way Genia has both these qualities (unimaginative might be the word I am looking for) - and was kind of relieved when he left, because it opened up a spot for new blood to emerge... I would opt for White as the back-up Half anytime - and perhaps the Lions Bench is not a bad place for him to mature - as any 2nd string half-back is likely going to see Very Little Game Time on this 3-match tour... The Championship however, might see some opportunity to give Will Genia some rest - and avoid further injury...

When talking about Half Backs, Australians have to speak in the context of Nick Farr-Jones, Will Genia, and (the early-vintage) Gregan... very few of the challengers in the current bunch approach even close to this level - if I were a selector, I would already be looking over them, to the next group coming through...

At other times in our history, the Wallabies have been seriously challenged for talent, at Scrum Half (Slattery, Cox & Catchpole being notable exceptions)...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
He'll be the 10 :D

Robinson
Moore
Slipper
Pyle
Horwill
Higginbotham
Hooper
Mowen
Genia
Beale
Speight
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

TPN
Alexander
Sio
Douglas
Gill
White
Mogg
To'omua/Cooper

The forward pack has a good look about it - Higginbotham is having a sensational season, and the pack looks good - though its hard to go past George Smith's experience in a Lion's campaign. In at least one or two tests its going to be all about calm heads, leading from the front in the final 10 minutes...

I assume then you have Folau at Fullback, and Beale at 10 - then who are your wingers - I think you will find Speight cannot play, so - I would question the wing positions on both sides in this mix...

I hear Folau id loving it at fullback, but hand-on-heart, I would put him in a number 13 jersey and move Beale back to Number 15 - (closely pressed for game-time with Mogg)... Lealiifano? No - in the squad, but not in the starting 15...

Being completely honest, I would not have Folau in my First Test team... I think it will be a brutal game of attrition, and there is a risk there, that we do not need to take - I would put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and McCabe in the centres for at least the first 40 - until the dust begins to settle on the smash and bash... Those two blokes are the type of fellers you want to have in your trench when the **** comes down.

IF we can get a win in the first test, then the next 2 games are an entirely different ball game...

I regret that Barnes is not in the mix - but the fact is that his time at the Tahs has just not worked-out for anyone... I watched him in Hong Kong where he had a magic game, and since then... setback after setback.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hell West & Crooked - that suggested team was for the 2015 RWC.

Speight, Pyle, To'omua, Sio and possibly Gill (if Smith plays) and probably Mogg and Cooper are unlikely to be in the 23 man team for the first Lions test in my opinion. Mowen or Higgers will also be outside the starting 15 as Palu will be 8.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Hell West & Crooked - that suggested team was for the 2015 RWC.

Speight, Pyle, To'omua, Sio and possibly Gill (if Smith plays) and probably Mogg and Cooper are unlikely to be in the 23 man team for the first Lions test in my opinion. Mowen or Higgers will also be outside the starting 15 as Palu will be 8.

Apologies - my mistake. So that's St. George out - so why no Pocock? 2015 should still be in his easy range, right?

I would put Higgers in my starting 15 based on Form right now over Palu - and the selectors will have to decide what to do with Mogg and Beale in the medium to long-term, as Mogg is just too good to have sitting and waiting around....

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Apologies - my mistake. So that's St. George out - so why no Pocock? 2015 should still be in his easy range, right?

I would put Higgers in my starting 15 based on Form right now over Palu - and the selectors will have to decide what to do with Mogg and Beale in the medium to long-term, as Mogg is just too good to have sitting and waiting around..

Oops. I actually forgot Pocock. Someone out of him, Gill and Hooper will be unlucky (probably for much of their careers).

Palu is playing well since coming back. Providing he stays fit for the next few rounds, I think he's one of the most likely selections out of the whole team at this stage (after Horwill, Robinson, Genia, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Ioane, I'd say Palu is the next most certain name to lock into a starting XV jersey).

I honestly think Beale is going to end up being the long term 10 for Australia. Mogg is really good but he has serious competition if Folau stays in rugby.

T

Train Without a Station

I honestly think Beale is going to end up being the long term 10 for Australia.

That's quite an interesting comment considering his form there certainly suggests otherwise. Other than a couple of decent games for the Rebels, I'm not sure what he has shown to suggest he is even capable at 10, let alone better than at 15, let alone potentially the best option in the country.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh we definitely look well placed for the 2015 WC. We'll have a squad packed full of experienced test players. Guys like Pocock, Genia, Horwill, O'Connor, beale (Folau?) etc will still be in their prime. Our props will be in their prime. The 2011 RWC came too early for us but 2015 will be perfectly time. Too bad about the nightmare draw.

The only question mark is who will be the man to take over from Palu. Higgers perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.