• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Thanks for reminding me RedsHappy, I had buried the memories of 2010. All those English supporters to our right, singing "Swing low, sweet chariot" as Wilko once again crushed us with a kick. FML.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Some pessimistic thoughts, RH.

Since we'll have an even better 22 on Saturday, I'll reserve judgment until watching the game. The only value in predicting catastrophe is feeling gratified when it happens.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm sure Naza would say it differently, but anyone advocating the replacement of Palu needs their heads read.

Look at the sequence leading up to Higgers' try. It was static ruck ball until Cliffy took a pick and drive (one of the suspect ones where he's already part of the ruck) and then all of a sudden we're 10m over the ad line, there's another coupla pick n gos and Higgers has his meat pie. He also belted into their midfield all night.

Kepu's loss is a biggie IMO - he was strong in the "tight loose".

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
It was Vuna's first game, people! If we bring in people with potential, only to ditch them at the first opportunity, we'll end up like the Australian cricket team.

Yes, he has issues with defence, but his progress from last year to this year has been incredible. If he can keep on that projectory he'll be a great asset. Back a guy in, for God's sake.

We are talking about the Wallabies here, and one victory over Wales who were rusty after not much recent game play and who are going to come back stronger than ever.

Just because the Wallabies had a win, it doesn't mean we clap the team on the back and say you all deserve another game. An attribute of the coach is to determine who wer'nt up to scratch & replace them.

Vuna was'nt the only player not up to scratch, and he is not the only one that should be replaced - but he & others need to be replaced. Unfortunately Deans has proved too soft in this regard, he does'nt have the balls to do the surgery.

I guarantee if the Wallabies lose this test (& I suspect we will), then there will be wholesale changes, all too late.

Redshappy, the past is a signal for the future:

I recall how we rejoiced in the convincing defeat of England, Perth 2010. Their attack was rusty to say the least, and they looked like a team that would have difficulty improving quickly and in the right areas. Our rugby media lapped it up and future conquests of the old enemy were predicted as a given, Deans was praised as turning around the team not long after the just prior Scotland debacle.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Wales will definitely be a much tougher prospect this week after a run together and a good look at the Wallabies and the pace we like to play the game at.
In turn the Wallabies should be better for much the same reasons and because they were not required to back-up on Tuesday again. We should also tweak the 22 a little to give more advantage.
Leaving Vuna out and bringing Beale(if fit) into 15 would be a good place to start. If not then Shipperley. Also having a 2nd row on the bench would help and of course starting Moore will just help the Wobs to step up their game a bit to keep the Welsh guessing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Vuna did pretty much what most of us expected really, did well in attack, struggled in defence. I personally think he is one of the few attacking weapons we have to rival digby other than JOC (James O'Connor) and a smoking drewster. He'll take some confidence from the game.

I don't think his attack is that good that his deficiencies should be overlooked.......

Scotty

David Codey (61)
His attack is best one on one down the side line , but with Barnes at ten and those centres, adding in the reduced space in test rugby he is unlikely to get that opportunity.

Winger is not a position we a struggling in, so we shouldn't have to select players who have major deficiencies.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Top player and in great form in club footie - and was noticeably better than the injured North.
This is one time I don't agree with you, north looked threatening with ball in hand early on, When players are tired North will make them pay, two different typs of wingers, one looks for the gap and space the other looks for contact,
If North plays Saturday will be looking to run at your backs from the 60min mark.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Morahan hasn't travelled to Melbourne, Foley has..

How many has Deans done this too? Beau and Rocket last year, Morahan this year. Make them Wallabies then drop them. I am not arguing that these guys should stay in there, but as the Vuna discussion goes, putting them in for one test then dropping them is bad for confidence. How many others are there? Bet we could fill a team.

W

What2040

How many has Deans done this too? Beau and Rocket last year, Morahan this year. Make them Wallabies then drop them. I am not arguing that these guys should stay in there, but as the Vuna discussion goes, putting them in for one test then dropping them is bad for confidence. How many others are there? Bet we could fill a team.
at least they got that "cap' - prized possession for rest of their lives

Richo

John Thornett (49)

To be far to Deans, its less him that's done it and more the schedule, including who the opponents.

Besides, if you asked the players I reckon they'd take the one cap over never having had a chance.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Some pessimistic thoughts, RH.

Since we'll have an even better 22 on Saturday, I'll reserve judgment until watching the game. The only value in predicting catastrophe is feeling gratified when it happens.

Haha. Where is the 'pessimism' in my post? It's just a recounting of some obviously relevant past data. 5 years in with Robbie, we now have history, there are patterns, like them or not. My point was: there are 2010 to 2012 analogies here, will they repeat themselves this time? Note the open question. And I closed with: '...hope lives on...'.

I have no problem with posters who long for a romantic notion of Wallaby greatness and thus where each win is a kind of stop at the refuelling station so the (somewhat unrequited) love goes on regardless. The only unfortunate by-product for me is that my different way of seeing Aus rugby always offends this group. But life for me here is much better now than in mid-2010, when the likes of Gnostic and me were copping it left, right and centre for our then radical view that Deans was an emperor unclothed and that the truth of this would, sadly, out. (Though when I said last year that the Tahs board made a major error by not cleaning out both itself and the entire coaching infrastructure, that too was greeted with howls of derision and barbs that I didn't know what I was talking about.)

And there was/is no 'predicting of catastrophe' from me, at least as of now. We could lose in Melbourne, then win in Sydney (where btw I predict that the ARU's decision to swap greed for fan intimacy in a much better stadium for rugby will likely pay Suncorp-like dividends for the Wallabies). There is no 'value' as you say in predicting catastrophe, but there is some value in attempting an accurate, objective analysis as to what is really happening.

All I have ever wanted is a Wallaby team well coached, selected and developed enough to win BCs and/or (genuine not ersatz) 3Ns (now 4Ns). Eccentrically calculated, abstract IRB rankings and waiting-on-forever RWCs matter much less to me and, I suspect, to most everyday Aus rugby fans. I see these two comps as the real tests of Australian rugby, and I remain convinced we are capable of winning them with the right system-wide decisions and management quality.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

He had to fill two tests teams days apart, and his first choice winger was ruled out injured leading up to the game. There were no complaints with Tomane debuting, and the alternative to Vuna (Shipperly) would also have been in the same boat. Scheduling and injuries are out of Deans hands, but it was a good time to test them out.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
All I have ever wanted is a Wallaby team well coached, selected and developed enough to win BCs and/or (genuine not ersatz) 3Ns (now 4Ns).

You make that sound like a doddle any competent coach could achieve rather than being king of the mountain RH, nicely done.

No JOC (James O'Connor), Quade, Beale, or Horwill and we managed to beat the best Wales team since their days as a world power in rugby. Somebody has been doing something right in the past few years.

What shocks me is how little time to 'develop' the national coaches get, how do we send a team in to play back to back games with practically nothing more than a team pep talk and the obligatory marketing promo events? Bewildering.

To bring it back OT, I think both teams will play better this weekend. Looking for a big game from our forwards again this weekend, they'll have a lot more edge with the 7 day break, particularly Sharpie, who was huge in the first half of the scots game. Our boys will have taken a lot of confidence away from last week, but then Wales might turn on a blinder, in which case it will be on for young and old.

Given a ref who doesn't blow the game apart, I think we will win well. Hope so, sprang for 3 platinum tickets! Er who is the ref?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wallabies named an unchanged line-up.

Fair enough I reckon. I would make a couple of changes but can see why they opted for stability.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm surprised that Stephen Moore doesn't get to start, but TPN had an excellent game so I guess he made his case to start again.

Our backrow of Higgers, Palu and Pocock must be the best backrow we've had for quite a few years.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Not seen anything official but Melbourne in winter is not the place to be leaving the roof open, it will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.