• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I know and that worries me. If he were to be required to play there for 65 mins we'd be in trouble. He should be 6, 8, 19, or nada. Not 18.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I find the outright hostility towards Cooper Vuna saddening. Even after a win, some people can't help but wish the worst on our players. The correct attitude is to hope he has a blinder and proves the critics wrong. Some people have to have something to hate on.

Come on that's a bit ridiculous, his defence is not up to scratch at test level and he's a liability, especially up against one of the best wingers in the world in North - he's fortunate North went off very early. Shipperley would be a much better option.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
It was Vuna's first game, people! If we bring in people with potential, only to ditch them at the first opportunity, we'll end up like the Australian cricket team.

Yes, he has issues with defence, but his progress from last year to this year has been incredible. If he can keep on that projectory he'll be a great asset. Back a guy in, for God's sake.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I didn't mean to antagonise all this Vuna hate, I was purely excited at the thought of Cuthbert with a little bit of space.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Come on that's a bit ridiculous, his defence is not up to scratch at test level and he's a liability, especially up against one of the best wingers in the world in North - he's fortunate North went off very early. Shipperley would be a much better option.

You misunderstand me. I'd drop him for Shipperley. But hoping to see his career end at the hands of the Welsh attack is not a good sporting look.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Vuna should never have been picked in the first place. He's been shown up in the super 15 by worse players than north and cuthbert.

I dont care if he's new to rugby and looks exciting with ball in hand, the only thing that matters is who will be the best winger for the job and I'd be picking either Shipperly, Morahan or Cummins over him. That's not to say I dont hope he comes good in the future and becomes an asset for the rebels and wallabies.

How is drew Mitchell's recovery going? Is he playing for randwick this weekend, they could defiantly use him at the moment!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Apparently the place to learn how to play rugby is in the Wallabies, against the best teams in the world.

Can I have a run? I don't deserve it, but we'll never know, I could be the next John Eales!

Are you referring to my post? If so, I'll give you a serious reply. I'm not suggesting that we keep poor players in the team. I'm suggesting we treat current Wallabies with respect.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It was Vuna's first game, people! If we bring in people with potential, only to ditch them at the first opportunity, we'll end up like the Australian cricket team.

Yes, he has issues with defence, but his progress from last year to this year has been incredible. If he can keep on that projectory he'll be a great asset. Back a guy in, for God's sake.

lets get Rod Davies back in the team then!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Moore will start ahead of TPN now that everyone is fresh. Moore is deservedly our number one hooker. This is no slight on TPN. I thought he had a fantastic game and surely quietened all the doubters about whether or not he should be in our best 22. With only one lineout not in straight, he even did well on the weakest aspect of his game.

Aside from that, I doubt there'll be any changes unless forced by injury. I think Vuna will be given a second test and I think Horne will retain his spot. He clearly blew a try by not passing to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who was open outside him, but otherwise had a perfectly good game.

I thought Palu was tremendous and him at 8 and Higgers at 6 provides us with a backrow with some real muscle and firepower.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
If your looking for supporters to meet up with down here, this is the sign:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-snc6/197675_4086800370909_499670467_n.jpg

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

The Wallabies shouldn't be treated as a place one can improve a basic element of their game. It shouldn't be used as a developing platform because in the past it's shown if we treat it like such we get spanked.

It's pretty simple, the best 15 players in their position should be picked, not those with potential or those who've had previous success, but those currently in form.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I find the outright hostility towards Cooper Vuna saddening.

Even after a win, some people can't help but wish the worst on our players.

The correct attitude is to hope he has a blinder and proves the critics wrong.

Some people have to have something to hate on.

Hostility? People just don't want him in the side. That is Deans' fault not Vuna's.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wales will definitely be pumped for this one. The Wallabies can't afford to drop the intensity they displayed in the first half in Brissie.

Just keep the team together and reinforce the combinations they have developed already FFS. A minor tweak here and there is fine, but unless QC (Quade Cooper) or KB (Kurtley Beale) are coming back, I wouldn't think there was really a need to change much.

Vuna on the wing did OK, I thought he played pretty well.

The reds will get their chances later on in the year in the rugby challenge anyway as inevitable injuries take their toll.

Consistency is the key imho, and it starts with the line up.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Hostility? People just don't want him in the side. That is Deans' fault not Vuna's.

As I've already said, I'm not referring to people wanting him not to be picked. I don't want him to be picked - I think there are better options.

I'm referring to people riffing on his career ending as a result of his poor performance in the next test. That sounds like supporting the opposition to me.

But I'm sure people didn't mean it literally. Getting behind your team just sounds slightly different in the age of Twitter.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Vuna did pretty much what most of us expected really, did well in attack, struggled in defence. I personally think he is one of the few attacking weapons we have to rival digby other than JOC (James O'Connor) and a smoking drewster. He'll take some confidence from the game.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
A key determinant of Wales 2 will be the degree to which Wales improves, and in what areas.

I recall how we rejoiced in the convincing defeat of England, Perth 2010. Their attack was rusty to say the least, and they looked like a team that would have difficulty improving quickly and in the right areas. Our rugby media lapped it up and future conquests of the old enemy were predicted as a given, Deans was praised as turning around the team not long after the just prior Scotland debacle.

Come Sydney, England had significantly improved its attack and played far more dynamically and cleverly. Australia was unsettled by this new pattern and arguably played less well than in Perth. And, particularly, England exposed deficiencies in Australia's lazy defense. Giteau's kicking was astray yet again, we lost.

It's highly unlikely that Gatland and Wales will stay at the Brisbane level of delivery. They're proud enough and good enough to improve upon the many problems in handling, forwards play and communication revealed last Saturday.

If they do, what Wallaby selections will be exposed? Answer that and it's a good guide as to how the team should be upgraded, if we have players for doing so. We missed no less than 29 tackles on Saturday, against the ABs or SA, that level would likely be a loss creator as those sides would not typically replicate Wales' many errors.

So of the how and where must we improve, defense is obviously a leading candidate. How tactically resilient and creative will we be if Wales lift their standards and consistent skill? Will we sustain composure against a better Wales? And if Genia is less a rugby genius, who will replace that exceptional skill with a matching contribution of their own?

It's been consistent, improving performance with deep and sustained roots that has eluded the Deans' Wallabies over and over again. And routinely underestimating the calibre of their opposition after isolated moments of glory.

With this history, we can predict little. But hope lives on, as another moment of truth for Australian rugby awaits.

Status
Not open for further replies.