• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Thought the ref was pretty good. Got one call wrong for a pen against Wales at the scrum which Barnes subsequently missed so not much harm do there. Then other than the faffing about over a scrum that took forever I thought he had a pretty good game.

I could see from a Welsh point of view that maybe he could have called for Aus to use the ball from the maul that won the pen as it had clearly been stopped. Still didn't see enough for there to be calls for the refs head or anything.

Agreed he should have called for the ball to be used but from the replays you can clearly see the Welsh player dropping in the centre of the maul and the bottom two players getting up after the collapse were both Welsh. It was a fair penalty.

As I posted earlier, The Welsh came to Oz on the back of a lot of hype about being the best Welsh side to leave the valleys. Their execution at key parts of the game have been well below standard. The lineout. Kicking from hand and passing in particualr were all poor and put extreme pressure on themselves.

In all honesty the Wallabies did not play well in either match, and do not deserve a lot of the plaudits being given them. Genia was superb last week and was the clear difference between the sides. This week Barnes kicks from hand were the best he has executed in three maybe four years. Neither side were all that good.

I sit and watch their play and compare the execution of the Wallabies to that of the Bok and ABs and just do not see them in the same ball park. The intensity and accuracy just isn't comparable.

That being said to borrow from the king of cryptic talk, you can only play what is in front of you and the Wallabies did enough to defeat a very disappointing Welsh.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The beautiful value of a fine pressure kicker (compare with Gits 2010 v England). Credit to Harris, on for so little time.

For once I can agree with Fox comms: very pleased with Wallaby composure last 5 mins to 'make the win happen'. That was outstanding, however it was done.

Wales made big improvements, but their biggest non-improvement was not changing out a badly out of form Priestland whose errors continued on from Brisbane. Fatal, sadly. And no Test side in a tight game can afford a seriously malfunctioning line out. So some improvements, but not enough.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah RedsHappy, you seriously can't beat a first rate kicker in test match rugby. Seriously. Cannot.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Doug, Perchance are you a really small gnome like fellow who enjoys f*(&^ing with Cardiff Blue's mind? :)

There may be more to your lucky undies and wobs 99 Jumper than you have been letting on!

Hugh, their value is certainly increasing with each test match! I must instruct Mrs Doug to set machine on "gentle wash" when they are next laundered!! Cheers.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fox Sports just switched away from the Wallabies presser because viewers were getting dizzy from the dancing chairs. FFS, no swivel chairs for nervous interviewees.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
So how do people rate Pocock's captaincy now, after he was heavily criticised after the Scotland game?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Fox Sports just switched away from the Wallabies presser because viewers were getting dizzy from the dancing chairs. FFS, no swivel chairs for nervous interviewees.

Robbie almost used plain English during his sound bite at the Press Conference.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great win. Winning these sort of close games is a major part of being a top nation in the World (see: NZ vs Ireland two hours earlier).

I thought the biggest worry was how our scrum struggled once we made changed. The starting front row was superb. It obviously takes some adjustment but it was disappointing how much our scrum struggled as soon as Polota-Nau came off. It got even worse when Robbo came off.

I'd certainly be thinking about giving Palmer a run off the bench in third test.

Vuna's sinbinning was just really stupid. I think it's time to give him a break from the third test. Maybe Shipperly deserves a crack.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gnostic, I think you are being overly negative. Wallabies played very well in areas, particularly:

- clean out and breakdown support
- lineout
- forwards running onto the ball and acting in pods

Areas for improvement:

- scrum
- creating more in attack in the backs

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Great win. Winning these sort of close games is a major part of being a top nation in the World (see: NZ vs Ireland two hours earlier).

I thought the biggest worry was how our scrum struggled once we made changed. The starting front row was superb. It obviously takes some adjustment but it was disappointing how much our scrum struggled as soon as Polota-Nau came off. It got even worse when Robbo came off.

I'd certainly be thinking about giving Palmer a run off the bench in third test.

Vuna's sinbinning was just really stupid. I think it's time to give him a break from the third test. Maybe Shipperly deserves a crack.

Palmer needs a run anyway.

The performance of the current front tow has been excellent, against the self-proclaimed (and maybe actually) best scrum in the world.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Hopefully, the BB doubters can stop calling him "Sook Face", and from now on, call him "Archie's Dad"!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think you're being a tad harsh, Gnostic. By no means are the Wallabies playing at their best, and we should want more, but Wales turned up to play tonight and were very aggressive in defence off the line (maybe a little too quick early on) and the Wallabies did well to keep ball in hand and string phases. They took their chances and stayed pretty composed. We've lost most of those type of contests in the past few years. Wales lineout malfunctioned, but was well pressured by the Wallabies.
Our scrum is messy - seem to get a good hit (apart from the last 10 minutes when it was a dog's breakfast) but there was little follow through. Scrum experts can enlighten me, but that looks like a lack of drive coming through, rather than the "platform" of the front 3.
Scotland was a debacle, but the team has stepped up a fair bit to string 2 wins against a pretty good team.
But we'll need to aim much higher for NZ and SA, I agree.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Gnostic, I think you are being overly negative. Wallabies played very well in areas, particularly:

- clean out and breakdown support
- lineout
- forwards running onto the ball and acting in pods

Areas for improvement:

- scrum
- creating more in attack in the backs

Yeah I mean that is what rugby is. It comes in many forms, and sometimes takes these forms not because that's how the teams want to play, but it's just the way the dice fall, the fine detail in the ruck, the ground surface. I think it's very difficult to compare this game to the NZ game - both are test matches, both are intense, both happened in different ways. When Australia take on NZ, both teams won't reinact the way they play in this game. Play will take a different form given the circumstances on the night.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think you're being a tad harsh, Gnostic. By no means are the Wallabies playing at their best, and we should want more, but Wales turned up to play tonight and were very aggressive in defence off the line (maybe a little too quick early on) and the Wallabies did well to keep ball in hand and string phases. They took their chances and stayed pretty composed. We've lost most of those type of contests in the past few years. Wales lineout malfunctioned, but was well pressured by the Wallabies.
Our scrum is messy - seem to get a good hit (apart from the last 10 minutes when it was a dog's breakfast) but there was little follow through. Scrum experts can enlighten me, but that looks like a lack of drive coming through, rather than the "platform" of the front 3.
Scotland was a debacle, but the team has stepped up a fair bit to string 2 wins against a pretty good team.
But we'll need to aim much higher for NZ and SA, I agree.

Goo post, cyclopath. The simple fact that the Wallabies fought back from behind to win against a world class team should be cause for great celebration, not hand wringing and despair.

J

Jiggles

Another weak win to be honest. There is just no urgency in getting behind the man with the ball, and no urgency to realign getting ready for the next phase. I lost count the number of times Genia had to stop and wait for Barnes to organise the next attacking phase. This week we have to thank Pocock for being in the postion to win it, he was everywhere. What a freak.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Goo post, cyclopath. The simple fact that the Wallabies fought back from behind to win against a world class team should be cause for great celebration, not hand wringing and despair.
No goo involved in this post, Groucho!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.