• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I did not think that last penalty warranted.
Nope - just watched the replay. Richard Hibbard (welsh 16) charges in to try to stop the drive and falls straight on his backside. The maul collapses over him and he is clearly visible on the bottom. Fair penalty.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Was at the game tonight... A few quick points...

First thing, I was sitting at ground level and the Welsh backs were offside all night.... Not an exaggeration...

Davies was planted well on the Wallabies side of the ruck every time...

Anyways, Barnes and Horne played well... Vuna should never have started and was completely awful...

McCabe was super quiet. He was prett much given no ball all game and used constantly as a dummy runner to attract defenders (which worked well for Hotne's try), plus he was never really put into a position to make a tackle with the Welsh rarely running at him...

Pocock was immense... The rest of the forwards mixed performances.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
So, I'll bring out the good ol' measuring stick.

Was that performance good enough to beat New Zealand?

IMO not at all. Only the goal kicking was good enough bar Barnes' miss.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The best thing about tonight was the composure at the end. Maybe this group is finally starting to show some maturity.

Ben Alexander is an absolute liabilty in a Wallabies Jersey. We need to get over this man love for props who can get around the park but continuously give away crucial scrum penalties. Time to get Palmer in the 22. I'm sure he would get through plenty of work if he only had to play 30 mins.

I don't know what should be done about Vuna. His attacking prowess is impressive, but he would be a 3/10 for defence and maybe 5/10 for kick receipt. Just too much to improve on to be considered a long term wallaby prospect. I would much rather see a young bloke who needs minor improvement across the complete game like Shipperly get a run than a bloke who is never going to be a long term prospect, but to be fair I think that was the plan with Tomane. Shipperly makes some silly mistakes and needs a bit more time to mature before being exposed to the test arena, which leaves us Vuna until JOC (James O'Connor) is back.

The forwards were very slow to re-align, which was frustrating, otherwise, an enjoyable see-sawing contest but certainly not perfect.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Thought the ref was pretty good. Got one call wrong for a pen against Wales at the scrum which Barnes subsequently missed so not much harm do there. Then other than the faffing about over a scrum that took forever I thought he had a pretty good game.

I could see from a Welsh point of view that maybe he could have called for Aus to use the ball from the maul that won the pen as it had clearly been stopped. Still didn't see enough for there to be calls for the refs head or anything.
Yeah I thought the ref had a good game, but like you I thought the penalty he Gave the Aussies should have gone against them but, Barnes missed as you said so no harm done.
I also agree with another poster here who said we wer'nt unlucky, just dumb.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
As I posted earlier, The Welsh came to Oz on the back of a lot of hype about being the best Welsh side to leave the valleys. Their execution at key parts of the game have been well below standard. The lineout. Kicking from hand and passing in particualr were all poor and put extreme pressure on themselves.

Spot on Gnostic, was like watching a diferent side than the one that won the GS,

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Have just watched the game as live, Wales bottled it again against SH opposition. Vuna should have been sent off, clearest straight red you will ever see but it did not affect the result as Wales should have won anyway and didn't seal the deal. Apart from not having the bollix to send yer man off, ref had good game and thought the penalty against Gethin Jenkins was fair enough although Barnes (how much better than Cooper is this man) missing the kick made that decision irrelevant anyway. Serious cajones from Harris at the end there. Well played Aussies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Have just watched the game as live, Wales bottled it again against SH opposition. Vuna should have been sent off, clearest straight red you will ever see but it did not affect the result as Wales should have won anyway and didn't seal the deal. Apart from not having the bollix to send yer man off, ref had good game and thought the penalty against Gethin Jenkins was fair enough although Barnes (how much better than Cooper is this man) missing the kick made that decision irrelevant anyway. Serious cajones from Harris at the end there. Well played Aussies.

I don't agree that was a straight red. Not sure of the exact wording of the law, but I would suggest to get a red card you would need a degree of intent, which clearly was not present in Vuna's effort. It was careless, but not reckless, and thus I would suggest a yellow card was the appropriate sanction.

J

Jiggles

Ben Alexander is an absolute liabilty in a Wallabies Jersey. We need to get over this man love for props who can get around the park but continuously give away crucial scrum penalties. Time to get Palmer in the 22. I'm sure he would get through plenty of work if he only had to play 30 mins.

Palmer is a liability at LHP so if he is going to be in the 22, which I think he should be, he has to start at THP. You need utility prop on the bench and Slipper offers more impact than Kepu and plays LHP better. the Real issue is that neither Palmer nor Robinson can play a full 80 minutes.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So, I'll bring out the good ol' measuring stick.

Was that performance good enough to beat New Zealand?

IMO not at all. Only the goal kicking was good enough bar Barnes' miss.

Is that the New Zealand who struggled against Ireland?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Palmer is a liability at LHP so if he is going to be in the 22, which I think he should be, he has to start at THP. You need utility prop on the bench and Slipper offers more impact than Kepu and plays LHP better. the Real issue is that neither Palmer nor Robinson can play a full 80 minutes.

You are correct in all parts except in the Slipper offering more impact than Kepu statement. I think your red coloured glasses cloud your vision on that issue. Slipper has not really kicked on since his debut season. He is good, but I thought he would be better.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Are you saying that the Wallaby scrum disintegration after Kepu and Nau were replaced, is evidence of Robinson not being able to play the full 80? That's frankly delusional.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The same New Zealand that has never lost to Ireland? And put 40 points on them last week?

They nearly lost to Ireland a superior Ireland tonight. And did lose to us twice last year. They're far from untouchable, even with the KY close to hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.