• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Fucken WHAT???!!?!?!

Rob Horne? How the hell are people still wanting him to actually represent our fecking COUNTRY at centre??!!

Chill.

They can keep selecting him, but "Mr Glass" will not finish the match. I predict he'll be injured come next week.

He's cursed I tell ya.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
:(

How can Rugby ever compete when the ARU does set some contract requirements regarding broadcasting the games in proper time slots. What non-rugby person is going to sit up and watch that replay on a work night. What non-rugby person is going to record it to watch later. Talk about setting something up to fail.

Set in the contract that if they decline to broadcast it live let the ABC have it for a minimal fee.

s'true.

By not broadcasting live, they are forcing us to congregate on mass at the pub to watch it, resulting in obvious alcohol related damage to my organs.

Jackie, do I have a case?

imgres
jackie.jpg

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Chill.

They can keep selecting him, but "Mr Glass" will not finish the match. I predict he'll be injured come next week.

He's cursed I tell ya.

I said that at the beginning of the year. It seems that the worse his form gets, the less likely he is to break. When he first came onto the scene, and played 5 awesome games for the Tards, he then broke, and couldn't last more than about 34 hours without having some life threatening injury befall him.

Now that he's playing as well as Stephen Hawking, he's unbreakable!

Exactly the same thing has happened to Barnes!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
:(

How can Rugby ever compete when the ARU doesn't set some contract requirements regarding broadcasting the games in proper time slots. What non-rugby person is going to sit up and watch that replay on a work night. What non-rugby person is going to record it to watch later. Talk about setting something up to fail.

Set in the contract that if they decline to broadcast it live let the ABC have it for a minimal fee.

As unlikely as it may seem I'm going to defend the ARU: wasn't this test a last minute addition? It would be difficult to "make" fox cover it and the ABC have the very important "silk" in in the time slot.

Having said that they run total rugby at 8 and rugby club at 8:30 so it's pretty hard to see why fox wouldn't cover it live.....quite odd
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Reading between the lines it seems as if Channel 9 only decided to bid for the rights to broadcast the Scotland game not too long ago. Thus leaving them with not enough time to get the waiver they needed to show it on their digital channel.

It's not a phenomenon exclusive to Australia. A lot of FTA national broadcasters have similar attitudes. They kick up a fuss about pay channels monopolizing major sports and then home games where the national team are involved are protected to be shown on FTA TV. Then they do the minimum in terms of promotion, build up and live coverage as possible. While the pay TV channels do a far more professional job and make the most of the rights they hold.

The National Unions job in terms of TV is primarily to get as much money as they can for the rights to their games. So if Channel 9 were the highest bidder for the Scotland game in terms of FTA then they can't be blamed for that. The fact that it's not a big enough crowd draw to push aside one of their regular shows says to me that Scotland weren't seen as a very big draw and Channel 9 were probably the ONLY bidder and as an after thought at that.

Leaving all that aside I still wish that the TV channel, the ARU and the politicians could get on the phone in the morning and agree that it can be shown live on the digital channel, even if it has to also be shown delayed, in it's current slot, for those without digital. The rules are there for a good reason but I think if they just talked it through in this one instance an exception could be made.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Leaving all that aside I still wish that the TV channel, the ARU and the politicians could get on the phone in the morning and agree that it can be shown live on the digital channel,

Big Jon,

put down your Chardonnay, your required.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
P
I said that at the beginning of the year. It seems that the worse his form gets, the less likely he is to break. When he first came onto the scene, and played 5 awesome games for the Tards, he then broke, and couldn't last more than about 34 hours without having some life threatening injury befall him.

Exactly the same thing has happened to Barnes!

playing for their pension?

G

Greg Growden

I would be pretty surprised if Palu isn't the number 8 against Wales.

As would I. A number 8 needs a big motor. Basically an arse the of Julia Gillard proportions. Higgingbotham, Mowen and Dennis are sorely lacking in this department.

I say this as someone who was on here back when everybody thought Leroy Houston could become the next Toutai Kefu.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
As unlikely as it may seem I'm going to defend the ARU: wasn't this test a last minute addition? It would be difficult to "make" fox cover it and the ABC have the very important "silk" in in the time slot.

Having said that they run total rugby at 8 and rugby club at 8:30 so it's pretty hard to see why fox wouldn't cover it live.....quite odd
isnt fox covering it live?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
As would I. A number 8 needs a big motor. Basically an arse the of Julia Gillard proportions. Higgingbotham, Mowen and Dennis are sorely lacking in this department.

I say this as someone who was on here back when everybody thought Leroy Houston could become the next Toutai Kefu.

Mate I remember people saying David Lyons would be the next Kefu.

The only 8 i've seen since Kefu, who could actually BE the next Kefu, is Vaea. Fotu looks impressive and pulls off the big hits, and flattens a few people in contact, but he doesn't actually make the metres AFTER flattening people. He hits them, Lomu's them, and then gets swamped.

Palu gets flattened by opposition scrumhalves, or has the Cheetahs No 11 run straight at him, and then into, and then THROUGH him. Then he runs over the Lions winger, and everyone goes into a circlejerk about it. For someone who is bigger than Kaino, or Reid, he's an absolute softcock, and one who's never performed outside of Super rugby or NH tours against Italy or Ireland.

Vaea is the only player i've seen since Kefu who can run into contact, bump someone off, and NOT LOSE MOMENTUM, so that he then keeps going and doesn't just go to ground 3m after the first contact. He's got a lot to work on, eg hands at the scrum, option taking etc, but he's got by far the most raw potential of any 8 i've seen since Kefu called it quits.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Well, it may be crazy talking about a test in 5 days with a round of super rugby ahead of us, but with a 4 day weekend ahead of me, the thing I am still most looking forward to is Tuesday night.

Gotta love test rugby. When I try to explain to my mates what separates rugby from their shit sports, a big part it is the excitement of getting to see your best players against the best players other countries have to offer. All they have to look forward to is seeing how their 6'4 clone from Subiaco is gonna go against another 6'4 clone from Footscray.

Rugby, Hallelujah.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Isn't June 5th a Tuesday?

Richo

John Thornett (49)

You, like, watch the games and stuff, right? Horne started off badly but he's been in very good form in recent weeks, despite all the Tahs woes.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only experienced no. 5 left is Johan Muller. Maybe Heineke will go with a Bakkies/Juandre combo?

Status
Not open for further replies.