• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Scotland
1. Slipper (cowan or holmes would've been perfect for this role over Ma'afu)
2. Fainga'a (would have preferred Hanson)
3. Palmer (ask jake to rest him, he said he would) or Ma'afu (vomit)
4. Simmons or perhaps Timani (foley might rest/bench him if asked, the tahs are finished anyway)
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Bam (taken off when/if the game is locked up, ideally at 40-50 mins)
8. Big Dog

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. McCabe (as per palmer)
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly or Morahan (simply because they're reds and fresh)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mogg

16. Moore 17. Alexander 18. Pyle 19. Hooper 20. Phipps 21. Harris 22. one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Vuna, Foley or Mogg

Wales (This 22 should basically sleep in a cryogenic/hyperbaric chamber from tuesday night on.
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Simmons
6. Dennis
7. Bam
8. Higgers

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. McCabe or Horne
13. Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. whichever outside back acquits themselves well vs Scotland or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Morahan or Mogg

16. TPN 17. Alexander 18. Timani or Pyle 19. Hooper 20. White 21. Barnes 22. whoever is left from the starting team

Wallabies to win vs scotland because of a magnificent chip and chase try from higginbotham, and then win again vs wales because of excellent driving forward play with the backs doing almost nothing but defend all game bar one sublime Quade and diggers try that puts the game beyond reach.

I like the selections you have made in the pack, but the single biggest problem with the backline is that Cooper is the only recognised goalkicker. I honestly think that Harris or Barnes (or both) simply as they are better goalkickers. Other than that, I think it is pretty spot on.

I really would be hesitant to give Cooper the goalkicking duties after he has just come back from a knee injury. If I am not mistaken, it would be the same knee he would plant all of his weight on when striking the ball. I wouldn't be letting Cooper take a shot for goal for a very long time yet.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I suppose He could play scotland at 18 with Mcalman acting as lock back up?
Also has good claims for the 19 jersey for wales if bam pulls up well from tuesday and could probably play 80

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't expect Jake White to rest any of his players this week with a big win required against the Rebels...

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
So I assume we've all worked out this will be the starting side v the Scots? All of the Reds and Force players in the squad.

15 Luke Morahan
14 Dominic Shipperley
13 Anthony Fainga'a
12 Michael Harris
11 Digby Ioane
10 Quade Cooper
9 Will Genia
8 Ben McCalman
7 David Pocock
6 Scott Higginbotham
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Rob Simmons
3 Salesi Ma’afu
2 Saia Fainga'a
1 James Slipper

Bench to come from those left standing after this weekend's rugby.

That side should crush Scotland. I don't care if they play the 2011 ABs the morning of the game, the Wallabies should back up comfortably and beat a piss poor Scotland who'd finish low in a Pacific Rim tournament. We could have Phil Kearns at 10 and it would make little difference. Scotland are "triers" who can't score tries. They are rubbish,

Wales on the other hand can play, but they'll miss Roberts who really gives them go forward in midfield.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Dont be surprised if Vuna is named in the 22. Deans has been quoted in the local Hunter media talking up Vuna's defensive improvements and his obvious attacking skills. Also given Vuna's popularity in Newcastle, it was the last NRL side he played for, for those who dont know, JON may see the marketing opportunity as to great to pass up. For those who think the jersey to important to trade like that, I agree but the ARU has form in this area.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
That side should crush Scotland. I don't care if they play the 2011 ABs the morning of the game, the Wallabies should back up comfortably and beat a piss poor Scotland who'd finish low in a Pacific Rim tournament. We could have Phil Kearns at 10 and it would make little difference. Scotland are "triers" who can't score tries. They are rubbish,

Wales on the other hand can play, but they'll miss Roberts who really gives them go forward in midfield.

I wonder if we took that outlook into our last match against Scotland?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I wonder if we took that outlook into our last match against Scotland?

It's an interesting question, why we lost against Scotland.

Watching the game, we never got going. Our players thought they would inevitably overpower / overrun the Scots, but they never did. The intensity was lacking perhaps.

But also the Scots played better. They were better. Good luck to them. It was a famous and very well deserved win, pressure rugby played without quarter, ground us into the turf.

I hope we repay them in spades this time, the dour buggers. :mad:

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I like the selections you have made in the pack, but the single biggest problem with the backline is that Cooper is the only recognised goalkicker. I honestly think that Harris or Barnes (or both) simply as they are better goalkickers. Other than that, I think it is pretty spot on.

I really would be hesitant to give Cooper the goalkicking duties after he has just come back from a knee injury. If I am not mistaken, it would be the same knee he would plant all of his weight on when striking the ball. I wouldn't be letting Cooper take a shot for goal for a very long time yet.

Ben Lucas is the ideal inside back/fullback utility. Don't be surprised if you see him on the bench, as he was agianst Wales in the last test in 2011

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, Palmer has been left out of the Brumbies 22 for Friday night, which is probably a strong indicator that he'll start against Scotland...

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I find it hard to believe that White would be happy to rest him at such a crucial point in the tournament. He is either:

a) not happy
b) doesn't think Palmer is as critical to his team as others might

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I find it hard to believe that White would be happy to rest him at such a crucial point in the tournament. He is either:

a) not happy
Nah. Slim has it - looks like Danny boy will be in the test.

White has long said he will cooperate with Deans when it comes to his players being capped.

Murphy will step up just fine for the Brums. They should still have too much for da Rebels.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

a) not happy

Pretty negative way to look at things. White will be over the moon having so many of his new roster growing into the Wallabies camp this year. From the get go he said one of his main objectives was to have his squad striving for and claiming those gold jumpers, as playing for your country really is the pinnacle our the sport. With youngsters coming out of no where and making it in their first season like Tomane, Mogg and White it's a great effort. From the start of the season he also said he'd work with his players and with Deans in helping make it happen, being open to playing certain players in certain positions for the selectors to have a look at them, and letting him commit to camps and being rested if required.

What does he really have to be unhappy about? The only issue really is that he's been too successful in his opening year, unexpected being both in the finals race and having a new and significant Wallabies contingent.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Scotland
1. Slipper (cowan or holmes would've been perfect for this role over Ma'afu)
2. Fainga'a (would have preferred Hanson)
3. Palmer (ask jake to rest him, he said he would) or Ma'afu (vomit)
4. Simmons or perhaps Timani (foley might rest/bench him if asked, the tahs are finished anyway)
5. Sharpe
6. Higgers
7. Bam (taken off when/if the game is locked up, ideally at 40-50 mins)
8. Big Dog

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. McCabe (as per palmer)
13. Fainga'a
14. Shipperly or Morahan (simply because they're reds and fresh)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mogg

16. Moore 17. Alexander 18. Pyle 19. Hooper 20. Phipps 21. Harris 22. one of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Tomane, Vuna, Foley or Mogg

Wales (This 22 should basically sleep in a cryogenic/hyperbaric chamber from tuesday night on.
1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu
4. Sharpe
5. Simmons
6. Dennis
7. Bam
8. Higgers

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Diggers
12. McCabe or Horne
13. Horne or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. whichever outside back acquits themselves well vs Scotland or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Morahan or Mogg

16. TPN 17. Alexander 18. Timani or Pyle 19. Hooper 20. White 21. Barnes 22. whoever is left from the starting team

Wallabies to win vs scotland because of a magnificent chip and chase try from higginbotham, and then win again vs wales because of excellent driving forward play with the backs doing almost nothing but defend all game bar one sublime Quade and diggers try that puts the game beyond reach.

Fucken WHAT???!!?!?!

Rob Horne? How the hell are people still wanting him to actually represent our fecking COUNTRY at centre??!!

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Pretty much agree with that, but no Palu?

He'd be a good option agaisnt Scotland: a weak NH team that he can be a flat track bully against.

For Wales, the real test, all of which will be hard fought, close games, i don't want a flat track bully, I would much prefer a true head case at 8.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Live on Foxsports, delayed on 9 at 11:15pm.
:(

How can Rugby ever compete when the ARU doesn't set some contract requirements regarding broadcasting the games in proper time slots. What non-rugby person is going to sit up and watch that replay on a work night. What non-rugby person is going to record it to watch later. Talk about setting something up to fail.

Set in the contract that if they decline to broadcast it live let the ABC have it for a minimal fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.