• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies vs Boks Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
His blunder at the scrum base shouldn't be forgotten.. terrible stuff.

how good was our wide play?

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Oh and just another observation from the game - James Slipper. He may not be the best in the scrums just yet at international level as he is only 21 but he is one of the most mobile tightheads I have seen for sometime.

M

Moono75

Naza, I hope your right. I think it was the game the boys had to win to get over the hurdle. I hope it's on the up from here. Its a big effort to win at altitude in SA and it didn't help with the Faigna sin bin. There are a lot of positives to take out of the game, hell, Robbie even used the bench a bit. I hope the boys put up a good effort against the AB's this week. Keep the team solid this week and build some continutity positionally.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I'm very happy that players are starting to put their hand up to cement down positions - this is what this team needs. Beale at fullback, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at outside centre, Slipper at tighthead.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
Oh and just another observation from the game - James Slipper. He may not be the best in the scrums just yet at international level as he is only 21 but he is one of the most mobile tightheads I have seen for sometime.

One day we might see the two Bens and James in the same 22. Slipper playing as a 50min mark replacement could be a very good thing as he matures

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Naza, I hope your right. I think it was the game the boys had to win to get over the hurdle. I hope it's on the up from here. Its a big effort to win at altitude in SA and it didn't help with the Faigna sin bin. There are a lot of positives to take out of the game, hell, Robbie even used the bench a bit. I hope the boys put up a good effort against the AB's this week. Keep the team solid this week and build some continutity positionally.

Agreed. Our youngsters were up against a side consisting of RWC 2007 winners, with 750 caps between them. The players have been saying they feel they are close to breaking through. And that's what - just our 4th win in South Africa ? Their reaction at fulltime said it all.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Agreed, I wouldn't get too down on the 2nd half performance. This Bok team can turn on some great footy - remember they did similar to the ABs. Yes, we made mistakes, but it was under pressure from great play.

Although I've only seen it once, at this stage I just think we played 41 minutes of some of the best rugby I've seen for a fucking long time, and the Boks came back with 39 minutes.

We've been armwrestling a gorilla and just tipped it our way to get into 2nd fucking place in the World rankings.

Enjoy

PS - Is it a coincidence that QC (Quade Cooper) had been reading G&GR this week and they do just about everything we suggested?

OK yes, but let me dream.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
agree 100% gagger.

this time last year that same SA team was being called one of greatest of all time by quite a few

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
The Bokke must be absolutely gutted, and in many respects the Men in Gold did not deserve to win, but by the same token after their 1st 1/2 performance neither did the Bokke.

W Barnes made some interesting calls during the match, and I feel that he had too much influence over the game.

What was in the 1/2 time oranges in the Men in Gold Dressing Room?

The possession stats will make interesting reading - I reckon 1st Half Wallaby = 65-70%, 2nd 1/2 Wallaby = 15-20%.

I can not sleep. To hyped up.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I think G&GR contributed massively to the wallaby victory

That first half was awesome to watch and then it started to look like loftus all over again, that headbutt on the ball by KB (Kurtley Beale) was hilarious

KB (Kurtley Beale) what a kick

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I hear what you are saying Gagger, and I witnessed some great rugby tonight but I think the 2nd half is still big cause for concern. Had we lost the game, and we almost did, we wouldn't be here saying how good Beale and the Wallabies are. We would probably be calling for Robbie Deans head...again, criticizing Fainga'a and Beale for losing us the game and feeling pretty lost. We were up by 25points and in the clear!

I still think it was a great great victory - but it was a flip of the coin to being one of the most demoralizing losses in modern Wallaby history.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
yeh that was stupid by s finger he was too eager too improve his dominant tackle stats

Thought drew looked dangerous all game and the back three had a good game,

I wasn't sure what to make of McCalman he was mongrel like but he missed alot of tackles,

Also what was with morne steyn bumping off literally every tackler pocock, elsom and sharpe all missed him from memory

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
And guys, it was at fucking altitude. Those glory teams we all jizz about couldn't do it, and these largely second stringers just did.

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
Agreed, I wouldn't get too down on the 2nd half performance. This Bok team can turn on some great footy - remember they did similar to the ABs. Yes, we made mistakes, but it was under pressure from great play.

Although I've only seen it once, at this stage I just think we played 41 minutes of some of the best rugby I've seen for a fucking long time, and the Boks came back with 39 minutes.

We've been armwrestling a gorilla and just tipped it our way to get into 2nd fucking place in the World rankings.

Enjoy

PS - Is it a coincidence that QC (Quade Cooper) had been reading G&GR this week and they do just about everything we suggested?

OK yes, but let me dream.

During the live call at 1:46 MrTimms said " Look, in the tunnel, a sign advertising us..."

I missed this, can anyone confirm what MT saw?

Thin Thighs

Ted Fahey (11)
I hear what you are saying Gagger, and I witnessed some great rugby tonight but I think the 2nd half is still big cause for concern. Had we lost the game, and we almost did, we wouldn't be here saying how good Beale and the Wallabies are. We would probably be calling for Robbie Deans head...again, criticizing Fainga'a and Beale for losing us the game and feeling pretty lost. We were up by 25points and in the clear!

I still think it was a great great victory - but it was a flip of the coin to being one of the most demoralizing losses in modern Wallaby history.

Agree but when the fat shiela commenced her aria, the Men in Gold were in front. History will record this for ever. The shit 2nd 1/2 and Brilliant performance by Men in Gold will be soon forgotten.

We have lost enough by 1-5 points in the past, that when lady luck smiles upon us, I'm not too proud to not to take the win, no matter how miserable it may have been.

R

rhyso

Had we lost the game, and we almost did, we wouldn't be here saying how good Beale and the Wallabies are. We would probably be calling for Robbie Deans head...again, criticizing Fainga'a and Beale for losing us the game and feeling pretty lost. We were up by 25points and in the clear!

I wouldn't have joined that chorus. We haven't won at altitudes for decades, with far better teams, and we've thrown away plenty of leads in that time. South Africa were great in the second half. Had we lost I would have rued the missed opportunity, but that's about it.

There is obvious progress being made - that first half was the best rugby I've seen any team play in ages. We also have potential match-winners in four or five positions now - guys like JOC (James O'Connor), QC (Quade Cooper), KB (Kurtley Beale), Genia, Pocock, who are all capable of making those split second decisions under pressure which are so critical in the big games. They are young and still making mistakes, but that will change.

The best thing about winning tonight is the mental effect it will have on the team. Now they know they can win the big games, the close games, the ones where history says they can't... because they just did it. So I agree it would have been devastating to lose such a game, and some criticism of mental weakness would have been legitimate. But we won, so let's enjoy it and hope a general lesson has been learned.

The test comes in the next close game. Bring on the ABs.

Status
Not open for further replies.