• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
There are some horrible choices here i dont understand how people can be packing their teams with waratahs Force players when they can't win a game?
Fixed :)

I really do find it interesting that people insist that we MUST select on form, and we MUST approach every test intending to win (ie put our best possible combination out there)...and then say don't pick Sharpe, because he's retiring in six months. Does not compute.

T

Train Without a Station

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Digby
12. Tapui
13. Fainga'a
14. O'Conner
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Greg Holmes
18. Luke Jones
19. Beau Robinson
20. Dave Dennis
21. Nic White
22. Pat McCabe

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Fixed :)

I really do find it interesting that people insist that we MUST select on form, and we MUST approach every test intending to win (ie put our best possible combination out there)...and then say don't pick Sharpe, because he's retiring in six months. Does not compute.
i thought he had already retired from international?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My team would be (bolded players are certainties, others are a bit more up in the air):

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Pyle
5. Horwill
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. McCabe
15. Beale

16. Polota-Nau
17. Kepu or Alexander
18. Sharpe
19. Mowen or Dennis
20. Phipps or White or McKibbin (reserve halfback is hardest spot to pick right now)
21. Lealiafano
22. Hooper or Hodgson if a 5/2 split. Otherwise Tapuai.

I think that Barnes and O'Connor have to play 10 and 12. I think Barnes is the better player at 10 but it is possible to switch them. Barnes has shown over his career that he is consistently better suited to test rugby than Super rugby and must play. His decision making, tactical kicking and ability to direct a game are vital to the Wallabies and over the last few years we always look better when he is on the field.

The 13 spot is a tough choice. Rob Horne has been down on form and doesn't deserve to be picked there. I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s best position is the wing, but he is so versatile and is still a good 13. He should be in the side.

Palu has been the Waratahs best forward and in my opinion is the form number 8 in the country. Whilst Vaea is improving, he isn't close to the Wallabies 22 at this stage. Dave Dennis and Ben Mowen should both debut before him.

A

AlexH

well sir, i sitll stick by my selections as 1. they are the form players and 2. i feel we need a major overhaul if we are continue to be a top 3 nation. the forward pack needs a serious revamp as does the centre pairing if we are to match the likes of nonu /smith or robinso/davies

By all means stand by your selections. Just do not have a crack at other people for not picking their teams on form when that is not the point of this thread.

W

What2040

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Horwill
5. Pyle
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Mowen
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Digby
12. Tapui
13. Fainga'a
14. O'Conner
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Greg Holmes
18. Luke Jones
19. Beau Robinson
20. Dave Dennis
21. Nic White
22. Pat McCabe

Think you are off the mark with Palmer - still a pot plant and even Daley gave him a nudge on the weekend

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Think you are off the mark with Palmer - still a pot plant and even Daley gave him a nudge on the weekend
You know you're out of form when Ben Daley gets up on you.

Also I'm thinking a utility back will most likely be selected as Genia's back up, with a 5/2 split a possibility. Meaning we can afford to have Hodgson + Dennis on the bench, then have Kingi or Lucas cover 9>15

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't remember seeing Daley doing anything other than breaking even a few times against Palmer whilst Slipper was being popped by Alexander.​
Palmer still a pot plant? !5 tackles with only one miss and 3 runs for 10m suggests otherwise in 55 minutes. (Slipper was 7 tackles missing 4; with 4 runs for 5m - as a point of example)​
Compared to Kieran Longbottom's 40 mins 4 tackles - missed 0 - 5 runs for 22m there both pot plants.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The heading of the thread is in part, "Name your Best XV".
It made me think of not necessarily the best XV, but Dean's XV, which in my opinion from past evidence, can be quite another thing.
I mean did McCabe's mother come from Canterbury (just kidding)

So here we go, my best XV for June, plus Mr. Dean's XV.

Emuarse's XV Dean's XV
  1. Robinson Robinson
  2. Moore Polota-Nau
  3. Slipper Slipper
  4. Horwell Horwell
  5. Vickerman Vickerman
  6. Higginsbotham Elsom
  7. Pocock Pocock
  8. Palu Palu
  9. Ginea Ginea
  10. Cooper Cooper
  11. Ioane Ioane
  12. OÇonner McCabe
  13. Tapui Ashley-Cooper
  14. Ashley-Cooper OConnor
  15. Beale Beale
Bench
16 Alexander Alexander
17 Hansen Moore
18 Sharpe Simmons
19 McCalman Higginsbotham
20 Lucas Phipps
21 Fingaa (Anthony) Barnes
22 McCabe Horne

I have selected Cooper, and I think Deans will select Cooper, assuming he has proven his fitness, because although he did not have a great world cup series, he was under immense pressure from a New Zealand hate campaign (how dare you touch McCaw & not repent), and a forward back often back peddling.
OÇonnor looked good in Europe, but Cooper has the magical passing ability to Ioane & co.
Vickerman, again assuming he is back, has more mongrel & is not as stereo type as Sharp.
Finally, it is important to remember that Deans has built up a team over the last few years that for the most part he would prefer to stick with, and although there are form players coming on, it's now experience of his protegy that Deans will maintain.
For my part, I believe a centres parnership of OÇoonor & Tapui will burn holes in the Welsh defence, especially combined with Beale in attack.
I have selected Lucas from the bench as he can play halfback, 5/8, & I/C.

T

Train Without a Station

Also I'm thinking a utility back will most likely be selected as Genia's back up, with a 5/2 split a possibility. Meaning we can afford to have Hodgson + Dennis on the bench, then have Kingi or Lucas cover 9>15

I would have had Ben Lucas there if he hadn't been out injured and playing primarily 10 anyway. I don't think with O'Conner, Barnes and Beale in the starting team a utility on the bench is really a necessity. At the end of the day, the reserve 9 or 10 aren't really going to get a run in a blue sky scenario unless you are testing out a new player in the starting team.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
If O'connor plays wing i will cry and move to another country as there is no justice in the world. but backs arent our biggest problem our forwards need to be drastically revamped if we are to match the welsh/All blacks.

Moore based on thsi season needs to go, elsom go mcalman go.

needs higgers, hanson/charles (TPN can't do set piece), Pyle in and i as if a hodgson/mowen in

W

What2040

The heading of the thread is in part, "Name your Best XV".
It made me think of not necessarily the best XV, but Dean's XV, which in my opinion from past evidence, can be quite another thing.
I mean did McCabe's mother come from Canterbury (just kidding)

So here we go, my best XV for June, plus Mr. Dean's XV.

Emuarse's XV Dean's XV
  1. Robinson Robinson
  2. Moore Polota-Nau
  3. Slipper Slipper
  4. Horwell Horwell
  5. Vickerman Vickerman
  6. Higginsbotham Elsom
  7. Pocock Pocock
  8. Palu Palu
  9. Ginea Ginea
  10. Cooper Cooper
  11. Ioane Ioane
  12. OÇonner McCabe
  13. Tapui Ashley-Cooper
  14. Ashley-Cooper OConnor
  15. Beale Beale
Bench

16 Alexander Alexander
17 Hansen Moore
18 Sharpe Simmons
19 McCalman Higginsbotham
20 Lucas Phipps
21 Fingaa (Anthony) Barnes
22 McCabe Horne

I have selected Cooper, and I think Deans will select Cooper, assuming he has proven his fitness, because although he did not have a great world cup series, he was under immense pressure from a New Zealand hate campaign (how dare you touch McCaw & not repent), and a forward back often back peddling.
OÇonnor looked good in Europe, but Cooper has the magical passing ability to Ioane & co.
Vickerman, again assuming he is back, has more mongrel & is not as stereo type as Sharp.
Finally, it is important to remember that Deans has built up a team over the last few years that for the most part he would prefer to stick with, and although there are form players coming on, it's now experience of his protegy that Deans will maintain.
For my part, I believe a centres parnership of OÇoonor & Tapui will burn holes in the Welsh defence, especially combined with Beale in attack.
I have selected Lucas from the bench as he can play halfback, 5/8, & I/C.

Think at 2. should be Moore and Moore with TPN at 17 and surely not Rocky - guy hasn't played forever. Reckon he's finished as a Wallaby

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If O'connor plays wing i will cry and move to another country as there is no justice in the world. but backs arent our biggest problem our forwards need to be drastically revamped if we are to match the welsh/All blacks.

Moore based on thsi season needs to go, elsom go mcalman go.

needs higgers, hanson/charles (TPN can't do set piece), Pyle in and i as if a hodgson/mowen in

What're you smoking?

Moore is in good form, and is by far the best hooker in the country...

TPN's lineout throwing has always been sketchy, but his scrummaging is as good as you'll get from a hooker...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I disagree that our forward pack needs to be majorly revamped to match Wales or NZ. We just need more of our first choice players back.

Benn Robinson is a vital inclusion at LHP.

Stephen Moore is still easily the best hooker in the country. After Pocock, I'd argue that he is the next easiest pick in the forward pack.

Barring a stunning return from injury in the very near future, there is no way Rocky Elsom is our best 6. Higginbotham is in the lead and Dennis, Mowen and Hodgson are the other contenders. Potentially Saffy could be in with a sniff to make the matchday 22 against Scotland however Dennis and Mowen will surely make their test debuts before him.

Samo and McCalman are no longer in the running for Number 8 position. You could make an argument that Samo could still be in contention for a bench spot or a starting spot as an impact player but to me that seems unlikely. Palu is the obvious choice at 8 and Mowen, Dennis and Hodgson would be the most likely backups. I think all these players are ahead of Vaea.

You'd figure that Vickerman will be lucky to play any test rugby this year. Rob Simmons would seemingly have been leapfrogged by multiple players this season as well. Horwill is one obvious choice and you'd think that Nathan Sharpe and Hugh Pyle are the next two players in contention for the other lock position right now. In my opinion, Kane Douglas, and Sitaleki Timani and Sam Carter have probably all slipped ahead of Simmons on current form.

THP and reserve prop is a tough choice between Sekope Kepu, James Slipper and Ben Alexander. I would assume that two of these three will make the side.

Reserve hooker is still Tatafu Polota-Nau in my opinion. As an 20-30 minute impact player, I think he is still the best available. Hanson or Charles will surely get a go against Scotland and are definitely nipping at TPN's heels for inclusion in our best 22.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think our forward pack selections are pretty obvious for the most part, but unfortunately Deans will stuff it up for us...

For example, the following players will have already cemented their spots:

1. Robinson
2. Moore
5. Horwill
7. Pocock
8. Palu

The problem is that Deans will probably select Alexander at TH when I think it's pretty obvious that Kepu, Palmer or even Slipper are much better contenders.

Also, Simmons is woefully out of form (it's still early in the season though), but will probably retain his spot over form up and comers like Pyle, Jones or Carter...

And Sharpe will miss out simply because he's leaving later in the year...

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
The problem is that Deans will probably select Alexander at TH when I think it's pretty obvious that Kepu, Palmer or even Slipper are much better contenders.
I rate Alexander, Kepu, & Slipper fairly evenly scrum wise. I think the Wallaby from these three will be the one who is the most mobile around the field. That's why I think Slipper has been successful in the past.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kepu is definitely the best scrummager of those 3, an I would have to go with him...

Alexander is potentially the weakest scrummager, but certainly the most mobile of the bunch and has a high workrate...

Status
Not open for further replies.