• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales: Name Your Best XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprisingly, Palmer made a lot of tackles on the weekend... 100% completion rate too...

So he's getting around a bit...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Zero chance of Palmer getting picked whether he deserves it or not. During our prop crisis of early 2010 he was available wasn't he? There's no excuse of someone being a pot plant up against England yet he chose to throw debutants in against them.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's odd that this amazing scrummager didn't manage to get much over Ben "what's a scrum?" Daley on the weekend.

I know he's good, but if he's not going to absolutely dominate at scrum time his work rate and effectiveness in the other 95% of the game will need to start rivalling slipper or kepu.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's odd that this amazing scrummager didn't manage to get much over Ben "what's a scrum?" Daley on the weekend.

I know he's good, but if he's not going to absolutely dominate at scrum time his work rate and effectiveness in the other 95% of the game will need to start rivalling slipper or kepu.

Slipper was popped a lot by Alexander under pressure, the Reds generally got the ball out quickly, their scrum was under a lot of pressure.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
No where near as much pressure as other teams have put them under. Reds didn't lose a scrum if I recall correctly and had fairly clean ball consistently. I'm definitely not saying that Palmer is a bad scrummager because he is obviously very good - but just perhaps not so dominant that it offsets his other deficiencies when compared to Slipper and Kepu.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
No where near as much pressure as other teams have put them under. Reds didn't lose a scrum if I recall correctly and had fairly clean ball consistently. I'm definitely not saying that Palmer is a bad scrummager because he is obviously very good - but just perhaps not so dominant that it offsets his other deficiencies when compared to Slipper and Kepu.
I think you're the most perceptive vacuum cleaner I've ever met. And I've known some preeeeetty clever vacuums.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It should be noted that it was Palmer's first game back after being brought down with a virus a week earlier...

Shouldn't be judging his scrummaging on the one game, when he's been dominant in pretty much every other appearance...

Also, it was probably Alexander's best scrummaging performance of the year, and I was surprised to see him get the better of Slipper...

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I understand that. I still sort of think our best scrummager should be able to best Ben Daley on an off-day.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I understand that. I still sort of think our best scrummager should be able to best Ben Daley on an off-day.

Well, as fatprop said... the Reds scrum was under pressure all game...

There was just the one scrum where Palmer was penalised for supposedly boring in...

Otherwise, I don't think there's too much to look into...

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
There are some horrible choices here i dont understand how people can be packing their teams with waratahs when they can't win a game? If the teams were to be truly picked on form the team would be (i will put other options next to selections people can pick a bench from that)

1.Alexander/Cowan
2.Charles/Hanson
3.Slipper/Kepu
4.Pyle (sharpe is retiring)
5.Horwill
6. Higginbotham/Hodgson
7.Pocock/Hooper
8.Mowen/Palu
9.Genia
10.Lelifano/O'connor
11.Digby
12.O'connor/Lellifano
13.Tapuai
14.Schipperly/Gerrard/ACC
15.Beale/Foley

Thats on form people may not like the fact that i have named a few force forwards but relistically they have close to one of the best tight fives in the conference they just have shit backs

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
1. Cowan
2. Freier
3. Palmer
4. Pyle
5. Humphries
6. Mowen
7. Robinson
8. McCaffrey
9. Sheehan
10. Stannard
11. Mafi
12. McCabe
13. Sidey
14. Shepherd
15. Beale

I like this a lot. Provided he avoids injuries until the window, he'll be pushing for at least a bench spot on form. Lineout throws have been excellent, general play has been great, scrummaging also good in a 'weak' pack.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
m
I like this a lot. Provided he avoids injuries until the window, he'll be pushing for at least a bench spot on form. Lineout throws have been excellent, general play has been great, scrummaging also good in a 'weak' pack.
mccafrey? he cant even get a game for force? shepherd cant stay fit and sidey is an interesting choice but other than that i can sort of see where your comign from with most. Bust seriously mccaffrey? need lay off the hooch

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Three options here. We can select on form, select on combinations and last of all select on man love. Given the structure of the test series we would be wise to select on combinations but personally I would select on form.

1/ Robinson
2/ Moore
3/ Palmer/Slipper
4/ Pyle
5/ Horwill
6/ Higgers
7/ Pocock
8/ Mowen
9/ Genia/White
10/ Leleofano
11/ Digby
12/ JOC (James O'Connor)
13/ Tapuai
14/ Shipperly
15/ Beale (Mogg deserving but might be wise to introduce him off the bench)

16/ Charles
17/ Kepu/Alexander/Holmes
18/ Sam Carter
19/ Vaea
20/ Lucas
21/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
22/ Mogg

If a 5:2 split was on the cards I would replace Mogg with Dave Dennis.

Our problem is our depth isn't evenly distributed. We have a wealth of fine players in some positions but struggle in others.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Cooper is reportedly due back on either the 27th of April against the Blues or on the 6th of May against the Crusaders so he will have 4 or 5 matches to play himself in to form. I think he will be in the 22 barring further injury & that these 3 matches will act as de-facto selection trials for Deans for the Scotland match:

05 May - Brumbies v Waratahs
20 May - Force v Rebels, &
26 May - Brumbies v Reds

P

Paradox

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. O'Connor
13. McCabe
14. Cummins
15. Beale

16. Charles
17. Kepu
18. Pyle
19. Hodgson (sp?)
20. N White
21. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
22. Lealiifano

A

AlexH

There are some horrible choices here i dont understand how people can be packing their teams with waratahs when they can't win a game? If the teams were to be truly picked on form the team would be (i will put other options next to selections people can pick a bench from that)

1.Alexander/Cowan
2.Charles/Hanson
3.Slipper/Kepu
4.Pyle (sharpe is retiring)
5.Horwill
6. Higginbotham/Hodgson
7.Pocock/Hooper
8.Mowen/Palu
9.Genia
10.Lelifano/O'connor
11.Digby
12.O'connor/Lellifano
13.Tapuai
14.Schipperly/Gerrard/ACC
15.Beale/Foley

Thats on form people may not like the fact that i have named a few force forwards but relistically they have close to one of the best tight fives in the conference they just have shit backs

Read the original post mate. We're not picking exclusively on current form.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Read the original post mate. We're not picking exclusively on current form.

well sir, i sitll stick by my selections as 1. they are the form players and 2. i feel we need a major overhaul if we are continue to be a top 3 nation. the forward pack needs a serious revamp as does the centre pairing if we are to match the likes of nonu /smith or robinso/davies

Status
Not open for further replies.