• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is piss poor in many respects RA for not advertising it, Melbourne for being uninterested in anything outside of AFL and the state is bankrupt but doesn't have someone to pull the pin on them.
15k would be a loss generator and a huge disappointment to many in rugby world, me inc. I would cut any tests there going forward.
My feeling is fuck them....It was a stupid idea to keep them in the comp and cut the Force.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The game is at AAMI Park with a capacity of 30K, so I doubt they were expecting a big crowd for this…

Unlike 84,000 last year, and 53,000 for the All Blacks in previous years at the MCG and Marvel respectively.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yes, he was very vocal from the start against Eddie, and was angry he had some posts deleted - I suspect the two were related. He signed off right after the Wales embarrassment from memory. I think he might have had a son playing in the Aus u20s as well? So he was probably angry with the whole system basically.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Derpus, I agree with your sentiment but it is $$$$s I am talking about. 15,000 to a National game is pathetic. Yet when we play the Kiwis they get 80k and I have read that several ABs consider it a 'home' game. How does that sit with your view of our National side? I am over it and how much more money should we invest in lost income to build an interest in a state that is that parochial.
On the Derpus side of the coin, I did read a guy Jimmy Orange? has done very well getting schools to play rugby. So maybe in 10 years there may be enough support to send our national side to Melbourne ATM I would not send another team down there.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
You'd be crazy not to take tests to Melbourne, they're the most profitable destination for big, draw card matches (Bledisloe, lions and England, maybe Ireland and South Africa too). Crowd numbers absolute support those event games.

Taking smaller, non draw card teams there though? Feels like a bit of a non starter for the most part. Maybe if it was Fiji or Samoa and you're tapping into the Pacific market, but definitely not at premium prices. Better to take Wales to traditional strongholds and maybe a regional centre with a heartland rugby following.

Unless of course the state government is paying overs, but if that's the case you really want to get on top of the marketing.

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)
I think this is the whole point.Why take a game which you know is not going to be a big drawcard, to a non rugby city like Melbourne?For sure,use the capacity of the MCG for the big tests.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I am working on the assumption that their agreement means one test a year will be in Victoria. Similar Perth, and they will always throw a saffer one there. Brisbane needs a drawcard test, so it got the other saffer one. At least one Bled is going to be in Syd, and there is only one on home soil. That means Melbourne got one of the Wales tests or the Georgia one.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
For what its worth i didnt watch any of the world cup games because of the eddie debacle and today was my first post in 12 months or so...last weeks game, and the prospect of rebuilding under a coach who seems to at least have a real vision and sensible approach to selection, has brought me back to the table...a win this weekend might smoke him out