• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
Also people need to show a bit of perspective on where we are at right now and temper their expectations. We are building up from a super low base. We cannot afford to be just discarding people like Wright, Cale, Paisami etc. They were solid and need to be stuck with as we build them and the team up. I’m keeping Paisami at 12, Wright at 15, and I like Cale from the bench - keep backing these guys and as the team steadily grows so will they. The only major change is like to see is Donaldson or Lynagh in at 10.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
One of my issues with Wright was not the tap but the pass from the ground 5m out from our line, we were lucky not to get a try scored against us. That sort of shit will lose you games against the big boys.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Also people need to show a bit of perspective on where we are at right now... We are building up from a super low base. We cannot afford to be just discarding people like Wright, Cale, Paisami etc.
They definitely need to be kept in the system. The 3 overseas players will make a difference to our effectiveness against the top nations. As an example, Skelton into the row, either Williams or LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to 6, and Bobby to 8. Kerevi to 12. I’m not sure who the 3rd will be, possibly Koroibete.

I get the feeling that some of the players who were overlooked in this first squad were so on the basis that Joe was 50/50 on them and he wanted to see what some other options offered. So guys like Swain, Holloway could come back into consideration for the RC squad.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They sure are playing a very minimal game-plan at the moment. Not much happening from an attacking point of view and mostly reliant on individual moments of opportunism or brilliance to score points.

Despite his yellow I thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was generally more effective than last week. Wasn't blown away by Cale's work around the park but he was great in the defensive lineout. Gordon once again critical.

On the yellow - obviously a card but its a bit shit. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is bent at the waist and the Welsh player is driving down into contact. Not sure how LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) avoids contact in that situation short of not attempting a tackle.

griffins

Billy Sheehan (19)
One of my issues with Wright was not the tap but the pass from the ground 5m out from our line, we were lucky not to get a try scored against us. That sort of shit will lose you games against the big boys.
Yeh but it hit its intended target on the chest and led to a try. Is he supposed to instead just dive on the shit pass from Noah and concede a penalty for holding on? People marvel at the All Blacks ability to score from anywhere and lament the fact that we can't, surely this was a good news story? I get that you were watching rugby when Colin Meads ripped Catchpole's leg off and acknowledge your direct line to Bob Dwyer, but the game has changed. This also applies to your analysis of backrowers/their roles.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
We definitely dodged a bullet, but ifeel like he was on a hiding to nothing there. I thought he was initially going to just get tackled and either turned over or driven in goal.

I actually think he deserves credit on that one. He was put in a bad spot and helped us dig out of it.

Won’t pretend that was the exact thought that initially ran through my head though :)

nathan

Watty Friend (18)
Feels to me like we need a fly-half who can play well around a game plan that’s very focused playing off the 9.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence this year that Noah’s form for the brumbies improved materially given Whites departure and a shift away from the 9 heavy play. Equally not a massive surprise he’s not clicking having to revert back to this for the Wallabies with Gordon. Still looks to be nervous as well which is a concern. We’re taking about two games though, so people calling for his scalp feels a little early yet.

Maybe a bit more game time for Dono might help have a look in given he plays with White and is used to that style of play.

whitefalcon

Alex Ross (28)
While everyone has been on Lolo for his efforts so far, I've found it interesting that Schmidt kept him on the field for 65ish each match. He definitely hasn't touched the ball as much as I would have expected, but I have noticed he has been very vocal in marshalling the troops and calling the plays (interesting as his previous feedback was that he wasn't vocal enough).

Did Ireland under Schmidt play mostly off 9?

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
No - Sexton was a key to Ireland’s play.

But maybe Schmidt just doesn’t think he has a Sexton available. Not yet, at least.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It should’ve been a try if they didn’t butcher it, but eventually they got a certain 3 point position right in front instead of 40m out. I see where you guys are coming from, and normally I’d agree, but around 10 of the Welsh players were still jogging back behind him when he took the tap.

There was a real opportunity there.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
We will never be able to match the top teams unless we are good enough to recognise and take advantage of the smallest of opportunities at any and every stage of the game. Wright correctly recognised the opportunity, unfortunately the rest of the Wallabies were too slow in reacting and the gate closed before they could take full advantage. The All Blacks would have scored in that situation.