• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One thing I did notice was some delayed(?} cleanouts on attacking ball with a dart immediately on cleanout through the space created on the edge

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Cale had some good moments but I'd be getting Wright in there to help with defensive lineout and calling out own. I couldn't see who called last night?
Think Williams was calling the attacking lineouts and a drunk guy in the crowd was calling the defensive lineouts close to the line

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I thought that was a small step back from last week as a team, despite some excelent individual perfomances. It goes without saying the maul defence was diabolical, we will have a real target on our back from every other team there unless we can rectify it quickly, and the set piece took a big step backwards. I also think once again Lolesio was dissappointing, and like last week the centres aren't offering any sort of threat. Iketau will fix part of that, but I really don't know where we go at 12.

On the positives, I though we defended very well, particularly when under pressure on our own line. Valetini was enormous once again, really like what I'm seeing from this guy who looks like Jake Gordon, Daugunu had a massive game and Kellaway, while not as flashy as the other outside backs, showed what a class act he is.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You'd be surprised by the commentary on Valetini from some online posters across a few forums, who all have a geographical location in common...
That is total madness, he was MOTM by a long way in my reckoning. I have always thought 6 was where his power is best used and I hope last night proved it. I thought Charlie Cane didn't make the most of his first start.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Because 3 minutes is a surprisingly long time to be able to hold possession of a rugby ball, so you're better off getting it down field
Thats bullshit it was a horrendous kick that Nic White has been doing for too long. I’d be happy to never see him in a gold jersey again, I’m convinced Jake G can provide everything White does with far better athleticism and physicality.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I don’t like putting the boot into players too much, they all try their best. But, didn’t even Rennie eventually concede he had ‘backed the wrong horse’ re Noah? I think we all hoped he had developed over the past couple of years, but I think it’s now clear he had actually reached his ceiling, and some of his super performances were probably a bit flattering playing behind the strong Brumbies pack.

That said, I’m not sure what the answer is. I’m not sure it’s Donno, we might need to hope Lynagh cuts the mustard at test level, or perhaps the Jorgensen idea warrants further consideration in the longer term. He did play a bit there at school - I know schoolboy history is largely irrelevant but he hasn’t really had an opportunity to explore this path at a higher level, having been thrust into the Tahs starting team straight out of school.
Your second paragraph explains your first. I don’t think anyone has been claiming Lolesio is a world beater. But none of our 10s are at this time and Lolesio was arguably the pick of them during super rugby.

Having said that - who was the last 10 who looked consistently threatening outside Jake Gordon. Not saying Lolesio should get a leave pass here but Gordon is not a half who has a history of helping his 10s play well. I’d argue the opposite.

Maybe that’s what Schmidt wants - plenty of teams have adopted a strategy to play predominantly off 9. But I suspect both selections are pragmatic in nature and reflect that short comings of the other options at least as much as the strengths of Gordon & Lolesio.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great win, but....................

It reminded me too much of Tahs wins over the last couple of years, great individual moments, by individuals - not the team

But not enough structure yet, the centre pairing struggles to provide threat, the forwards need more cohesion, Cale doesn't have the physicality for test rugby at the moment
I hate to say it but you are right and I have to agree with you regarding Cale, I was disappointed in his effort and I watched him closely there was a lot he could have done out there with his speed and skill but didn't. OTOH I love Bobby V at 6 and McRight was good as always. I was sure Cale would be the 8 I have been looking for but he must lift dramatically if he is going to make it in Internationals.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was very good and Williams was good enough. The front row had a tough night until the reserves came on. Schmidt will be getting the 'Ghost of Rennie' calling on him in his dreams last night.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought that was a small step back from last week as a team, despite some excellent individual performances.
Froggy, you must allow for the fact we are and always have been shit in the wet... Having said that without Daganua and Gordon opportunities, we would be feeling pretty crap today.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Doesn't tell you everything, but it tells you something (although stats get revised by the look. Wright was on 1 tackle this time last week, and maybe his shoulder was done and he couldn't tackle)

Last week
6 - Wright. 3 tackles. 7 runs for 10m
7 - McReight 12 tackles. 8 runs for 6m
8 - Valetini. 13 tackles. 17 runs for 31m
Cale - 6 tackles. 7 runs for 21m

This week
6 - Valetini. 6 tackles. 17 runs for 49m
7 - McReight. 15 tackles. 5 runs for 42m
8 - Cale. 7 tackles. 13 runs for 23m
Gleeson - 1 tackle. 0 runs

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I think someone pointed out last week that it looked like Wright was defending behind the ruck, as the second line of defence, hence his low tackle count. Presumably Cale then Gleeson had the same role last night. That being the case, the stats might indicate that our front line defence was slightly more effective last week than it was last night.

Sword of Justice

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Few posters here saying Slipper needs a rest - I'm not seeing it TBH. he seems to be playing the same role as he always does (decent tackles, decent runs, secure possession at ruck, decent scrum, decent lifting, calm head). Aside from one spilt ball when it was bucketing down I thought he was industrial, which is what we need from him.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I think someone pointed out last week that it looked like Wright was defending behind the ruck...
That was me!

That was before we knew about the shoulder injury. I reckon now he was probably just shielding the injury rather than setting up a tactic, because he wasn't going too hard at breakdowns, and didn't really get close to a turnover

Last edited:

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The starting scrum efforts struck me as lop sided. with Tupoa driving through and Slipper holding his side up. The spin did us no favours where we should have won penalties. The scrum looked better balanced when AAA and Kailiea came on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Fun game to be at as a "neutral". Not he highest quality game but swings of momentum and amounts of luck both ways made for a contest.

Not sure it bodes well for either side over the next 12 months, but enjoyable nonetheless.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
...like last week the centres aren't offering any sort of threat. Ikitau will fix part of that...
Ikitau is very good, but unless he is going to play outside centre from the fly half position how will he be any different to Flook, the ball is not getting to him.

Ikitau will get in when fit but Flook is no slouch and has not done anything wrong, he has been good with what little opportunity he has been given.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I’m less concerned about giving Slips a rest now than I was last week, he seemed to get through the game fine last night. It might have been the injury he picked up during the game last week that made him look so busted. There’s 3 weeks between Georgia and the first saffa test, however it may be pertinent to give Kailea the start next week.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Watch out other budding RugbyPass statisticians.

The individual stats (and team ones?) are getting updated as we speak. Might need be a Monday morning thing rather than a Sunday

Linerunner2023

Alfred Walker (16)
Can Ikitau play 12? Could we see him at 12 and Daugunu or Kellaway at 13? Particulary if Koribete and Toole or Petaia come back into the outside back fold for rugby champs?
Noah experiment needs to end, he has hit his best and Paisami has shown again he is not test level quality.