• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Wales Game 2 Sat 13 July Melbourne

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Completely disagree. We’ll never beat the top teams until we have composure under pressure. In a situation like that you work to win a penalty - which we won. Tom Wright then put it on the line by taking an unnecessary risk.

Yes - it wasn’t his fault the try got blown, and it all ended well - but it was still a dumb play.

Was Lolesio’s pass a good one because we scored at the other end? The follow up events don’t change the original act.

Edit: if we are going to go down the paths of ‘what would the best teams do’ I don’t believe for a second anyone from the ABs, Boks, England or Ireland would have tapped if.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Yeah can’t say I agree either. Composure in closing out matches at critical points is more important then 50/50 quick taps.

Good effort identifying the opportunity, however 5 mins left within a converted try wasn’t the time for that play.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
Congrats Wallabies fans.

Take the test wing and keep building.

Haven't read through the thread yet but I really enjoy watching Flook play. I think he could be your 13 long term.

Good for Cale to get more exposure to test footy but I think Wright 6 (when fit) Valetini 8 worked better.

Didn't think the crowd was too bad considering the weather, lack of promotion, lack of marquee opposition and the Rebels drama. Helps when the empty seats aren't constantly exposed by the set camera

What a turnaround in fortune for Jake Gordon and Daugunu finally playing to his potential having cut out his errors and not trying to do too much.

Wales went better than I thought they would too.

Was a good watch.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A try would have taken the score board to being ahead by two scores - compared to being two scores in front from the original kickable penalty. Sure if the try was converted it goes past the two score scenario and a try + conversion winds down the clock.

It was not however the smart call.

Last edited:

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Normally I give Wright crap for how he plays, but, I would say whatever composure you're wanting the team to play for is energy better directed at being composed in defence and not giving away penalties and also spent defending mauls.

Whatever points Tom's attempt could have/did cost us is nothing compared to the 14 points we lost at the mauls.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yeh but it hit its intended target on the chest and led to a try. Is he supposed to instead just dive on the shit pass from Noah and concede a penalty for holding on?
Mostly bollocks and ad hom crap. Sending a pass like that within 5m of our line was an act of 70/30 with a 30% chance of success. Throw one like that with the Barretts and Reece/Taslia boring down on you and it is a try or driven over your own line.
I am interested in your rugby playing history now that you have had a go at mine. You don't seem too clued up on how a 15 plays from any era.

stillmissit

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Weren’t you also upset and calling for him to be dropped after he scored that try last week?
True 'glasses need cleaning'. I am more of the same thought after last night, I have nothing against him as a winger but as an international 15 no thanks I want more than just entering the line, I want clean takes and safe kicks out with counter-attacking at the right time. I don't have data to support it but I don't trust his defence.

Last edited:

griffins

Watty Friend (18)
I am interested in your rugby playing history now that you have had a go at mine. You don't seem too clued up on how a 15 plays from any era...
I think my playing history is irrelevant when multiple posters agree that throwing that pass was actually the percentage play in the circumstances. I do know two ex Wallaby coaches who agree with me though, I'll tell you who they are later.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I was pretty happy with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), I had no issue with him getting the yellow card either, it was not a blatant or deliberate attempt to shoulder a player in the head and was just a football play a few inches off its target.

I did have a big issue with him throwing a player to the ground unnecessarily after having been given a yellow earlier in the game. I thought he was lucky to get away with this without consequences that would make his team suffer just because he could not control himself. It was not a mature play for someone who has been around for a while.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Well we’re all waiting on your insights.
What insights?

On second thought I will have a go. A brand new coaching team with an inexperienced side and a short time together are always going to use a conservative game plan.
That means booting the ball from nine most of the time and if not then you boot it from ten. Once it started raining in Melbourne, they would have doubled down on that plan. Lolesio and Paisami would have been told to kick first, truck it up second and pass as a last resort.
That's exactly what we saw. What you geniuses see as a problem is players doing as they were told and replacing a outside back with one you like better is going to make fuck all difference.
There is a reason our attack looks clunky and that is there hasn't been anough time to do anything but the basic patterns.
It's been three weeks for fucks sakes.

Yoda

Syd Malcolm (24)
What insights?

On second thought I will have a go. A brand new coaching team with an inexperienced side and a short time together are always going to use a conservative game plan.
That means booting the ball from nine most of the time and if not then you boot it from ten. Once it started raining in Melbourne, they would have doubled down on that plan. Lolesio and Paisami would have been told to kick first, truck it up second and pass as a last resort.
That's exactly what we saw. What you geniuses see as a problem is players doing as they were told and replacing a outside back with one you like better is going to make fuck all difference.
There is a reason our attack looks clunky and that is there hasn't been anough time to do anything but the basic patterns.
It's been three weeks for fucks sakes.
Stick to flying planes!

Froggy

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good call Sully.
The rule here is everyone agrees with you or they're a dropkick.
Interesting take on a public forum