• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeh it's a bit what the fuck to be honest and drives the narrative that a lot of fans have around him not really giving it his all when he plays for the Wallabies so why bother picking him.

He's on a holiday and doesn't want to play is my read on it. This bloke was our Wallaby captain at the last RWC?

I wonder if this attitude is more of a commentary about Skelton as a Wallaby or around the way the game is going where he is better off playing French club rugby and staying fresh from a financial perspective.
Don’t be too surprised about his nonchalance. Every coach since he left for Europe has tried to get him to play for Australia with only a couple recently being successful. Making him captain was absolutely ridiculous and sent a very poor message to the other Wallabies and young players aspiring to be a Wallaby.
It’s just not high on his list. I’m sure there was nobody more surprised than him when he was asked to captain at the RWC last year.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don’t have a problem with Skelton. He brings a different sort of skill set which can be useful. I feel like he has never transferred his European form to the test arena and that for the most part he has been an unwilling Wallaby. Hope we see him on the EOYT. If not, that is OK as well.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Hopefully Rassie sees this as the development opportunity for his side this year after a huge Ireland series, and home games against the Argies.

Just like 2022, I think we are a shout against the second side, but we can't live with the top team.

Last edited:

Rugby Head

Billy Sheehan (19)
My team:

1 - Slipper (c)
2 - Faessler
3 - TT
4 - Frost
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Valetini
7 - Reimer
8 - Wilson
9 - Gordon
10 - Lolesio
11 - Marika
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright

16 - Pollard
17 - Kailea
18 - AA
19 - Hooper
20 - Leota
21 - McDermott
22 - Donaldson
23 - Daungunu

If Bell is fit, throw him on the bench.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
My team:

1 - Slipper (c)
2 - Faessler
3 - TT
4 - Frost
5 - LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 - Valetini
7 - Reimer
8 - Wilson
9 - Gordon
10 - Lolesio
11 - Marika
12 - Paisami
13 - Ikitau
14 - Kellaway
15 - Wright

16 - Pollard
17 - Kailea
18 - AA
19 - Hooper
20 - Leota
21 - McDermott
22 - Donaldson
23 - Daungunu

If Bell is fit, throw him on the bench.
Leota is not in the squad unfortunately, so Williams there IMO.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Why is everyone off Daugunu? Is it because he's card prone? Aside from the red card v Georgia he was one of our best during the July tests, and he'd be unlucky to get another card for a similar charge down attempt.

Tom Wright still hasn't clearly shown he has the consistency required at test level, Kellaway is safer. I'd be going:

11. Koroibete
14. Daugunu
15. Kellaway

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Why is everyone off Daugunu? Is it because he's card prone? Aside from the red card v Georgia he was one of our best during the July tests, and he'd be unlucky to get another card for a similar charge down attempt.

Tom Wright still hasn't clearly shown he has the consistency required at test level, Kellaway is safer. I'd be going:

11. Koroibete
14. Daugunu
15. Kellaway
Its his lack of out and out pace for me. Agree he was good though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

11. Koroibete
14. Daugunu
15. Kellaway

I would prefer the 14 to be that 14/15 hybrid

Daugunu IMHO is competing with Koro

I do agree Wright looked average vs Georgia, but he was solid vs the Welsh

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
At the ground it's evident just how much of a leadership, organisational and play-making role Wright has across the park, both in attack and defence. You can't really see it on TV.

Sure he makes errors, but he's also running the show a lot of the time. With our relative lack of alpha-dogs at 10, I think he's probably the first name written down in the backline.

dru

David Wilson (68)

And 11 to be hybrid 11/12 - or more accurately ready to hit the hip of the 10 at pace and also have something of a roving brief. Daugunu was perfect against Wales/Georgia.

At the ground it's evident just how much of a leadership, organisational and play-making role Wright has across the park, both in attack and defence. You can't really see it on TV.

Fantastic observation. It's been something that I wanted to see from him but hasn't been obvious (to me anyway) on the broadcast.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

I don't disagree with that, but more 14 than 15 and he's played a bit of fullback if I recall correctly, admittedly not at this level. He does have a reasonable boot on him though.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I don't disagree with that, but more 14 than 15 and he's played a bit of fullback if I recall correctly, admittedly not at this level. He does have a reasonable boot on him though.
KOB, Filipo's boot is so inconsistent as to be laughable. Remember the woeful kick in play in the first half of the second test (which led to a Wales try if I remember correctly)? I posted at the time if he ever kicked again he should have his foot amputated. I think others must have thought the same, because he didn't kick again in that test, and I really can't recall any kicks by him against Georgia, but if there were, they must have been neither very good nor very bad.

I think I'm right in saying he very rarely kicked for the Rebels and certainly any he did were not memorable. It beggars belief to say that he has a reasonable kicking game, especially at this level. He is good elsewhere (except in earning cards for poor decisions and/or execution), but sadly losing pace.

I agree with Fatprop that Filipo is in competition with Marika for one wing.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I think I'm right in saying he very rarely kicked for the Rebels and certainly any he did were not memorable. It beggars belief to say that he has a reasonable kicking game, especially at this level. He is good elsewhere (except in earning cards for poor decisions and/or execution), but sadly losing pace.

IIRC he kicked a fair bit in his last couple of seasons for the Reds, with a pretty reasonable level of success. His lack of kicking at the Rebels was probably more due to his move to the centres.

I'd certainly back his kicking over Marika's

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
KOB, Filipo's boot is so inconsistent as to be laughable. Remember the woeful kick in play in the first half of the second test (which led to a Wales try if I remember correctly)? I posted at the time if he ever kicked again he should have his foot amputated. I think others must have thought the same, because he didn't kick again in that test, and I really can't recall any kicks by him against Georgia, but if there were, they must have been neither very good nor very bad.

My exact words were 'he does have a reasonable boot on him', the inference being with regards to distance.

As for the shithouse kick v Wales, guess what, Lolesio and Donaldson both did shithouse kicks v Wales as well when they were under no pressure. Point being, to lambaste him based on one kick 'beggars belief'.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
IIRC he kicked a fair bit in his last couple of seasons for the Reds, with a pretty reasonable level of success. His lack of kicking at the Rebels was probably more due to his move to the centres.

I'd certainly back his kicking over Marika's
Pretty much on a par I think.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Interesting lunch date; Kolisi, JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper)
May be an image of 4 people

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
when's the team named, i'm interested to see what levels of parochialism in selections jumps out this time

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My exact words were 'he does have a reasonable boot on him', the inference being with regards to distance.

As for the shithouse kick v Wales, guess what, Lolesio and Donaldson both did shithouse kicks v Wales as well when they were under no pressure. Point being, to lambaste him based on one kick 'beggars belief'.
OK, your opinion. That's fine. but you are suggesting dropping one of our most effective kickers in the back three and having an extremely inconsistent kicker take some of that responsibility. And as far as Tom Wright's kicking ability goes, I am confident to say that he has more distance with his boot than Daugunu and is probably our leading exponent of achieving 50/22 territory gains.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
OK, your opinion. That's fine. but you are suggesting dropping one of our most effective kickers in the back three and having an extremely inconsistent kicker take some of that responsibility. And as far as Tom Wright's kicking ability goes, I am confident to say that he has more distance with his boot than Daugunu and is probably our leading exponent of achieving 50/22 territory gains.
wow there you go, didn't realise we had a "leading exponent of achieving 50/22 territory gains" in the team lol