• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Springboks, Sat 10th August 2.30pm AEST @ Suncorp,

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Really? He missed an easy goal kick and missed touch badly leading to Wales disallowed try

pretty low bar if that’s a good game

I don’t really consider those…

*checks fingers*

Two…

Two things to be the defining representation of the hour or so he spent on the field.

Much like I don’t give that much weight to the missed touch finder from Gordon (who was one of the best on field) preceding that, which was immediately followed by Lolesio pilfering the ball back.

Last edited:

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
I don’t really consider those…

*checks fingers*

Two…

Two things to be the defining representation of the hour or so he spent on the field.

Much like I don’t give that much weight to the missed touch finder from Gordon (who was one of the best on field) preceding that, which was immediately followed by Lolesio pilfering the ball back.
You don’t give much weight to the execution of basic skills? Rugby is a sport where 79 minutes of excellent play can absolutely be undone by one poor mistake. That’s the nature of competition.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You don’t give much weight to the execution of basic skills?

I'm not sure how anything I wrote gave that impression?

Rugby is a sport where 79 minutes of excellent play can absolutely be undone by one poor mistake. That’s the nature of competition.

Sure, but when George Smith knocked the ball on in the second half of the 2013 Super Rugby semi final against the Bulls I didn't think... wow, what a terrible game.

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)

Sure, but when George Smith knocked the ball on in the second half of the 2013 Super Rugby semi final against the Bulls I didn't think... wow, what a terrible game.
The two fingers you counted then discarded represented the basic errors. If I misinterpreted that I gravely apologise as you are always so clear in your communication around here…

On George Smith, he had a resume of extreme proficiency by 2013. Lolesio has made a few errors that have turned matches to this point in his career. To be clear, I do think he still has a future in Gold. We must be honest though, he did not play well against Wales.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The two fingers you counted then discarded represented the basic errors. If I misinterpreted that I gravely apologise as you are always so clear in your communication around here…

What I said was those two errors were not the defining moments or overall reflection of his game.

And in doing so referenced another player, overwhelmingly deemed best on ground, who made the same error in general play a couple of minutes prior.

I'm not suggesting he was a superstar in the first test... far from it - he made some errors.

But was he "bad" as suggested? God no... he largely performed pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

Sword of Justice

Trevor Allan (34)
What I said was those two errors were not the defining moments or overall reflection of his game.

And in doing so referenced another player, overwhelmingly deemed best on ground, who made the same error in general play a couple of minutes prior
Fair enough. Those mistakes are how I reflect on his performance in that game but I will move on.

A very valid point about others in the team. For example Frost was lauded here in his first game back but I felt the lazy penalty and missed tackles discounted that. This is the beauty of these fori.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Predictions:

- A SA player to coat hanger one of ours and get away with it, for our player to do something similar and red carded.
- Kailea to hold his own or even get one over his opposition, announcing his arrival on the world stage.
- Us to concede a billion turnovers.
- Lyangh to get an intercept in the 79th minute to win it but get mowed down and knocks it on.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Predictions:

- A SA player to coat hanger one of ours and get away with it, for our player to do something similar and red carded.
- Kailea to hold his own or even get one over his opposition, announcing his arrival on the world stage.
- Lyangh to get an intercept in the 79th minute to win it but get mowed down and knocks it on.
We give away at least 1 penalty try for repeatedly collapsing the maul.......

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
Predictions:

How about we just execute well, minimise our mistakes, run hard and don't cop any shit from these arrogant basta.ds! That would do me. More importantly too. A big one I know… that no fans bag our team but support them no matter the result. Go the Wallabies!!

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)

You are still holding onto it 11 yrs later :)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Predictions:

I reckon Kailea and Lynagh will both be singled out for special attention in this game. I am not as confident as some that Tizzano will make his presence known against this Saffa pack. So much will be on the shoulders of Ala'alatoa, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Valetini and Wilson to try and keep us in the game. I don't think either backline will play a decisive role in the result.

Khun Phil

Frank Row (1)
It's not about being good. It's about being good enough and ready.

Mo'unga started all games for the Crusaders at 10 from age 21 in 2016. We would have had him in the Wallabies at that point, but they had the luxury of plenty of other older 10s to carry the load

Lynagh isn't some child prodigy. He's pretty much at the same stage as most good playmakers are at. Ideally he would have a couple more years before being thrust into the Wallaby 10 spot, but that isn't what happens to most of our guys. They have to step up young
Yes,you couldn't see Richie replacing Beauden Barrett in the All Blacks around that time.Gave him the chance to develop his game.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You are still holding onto it 11 yrs later :)

It was otherwise a George Smith masterclass, and the Brumbies won…

But I recall he took a quick tap and lost the ball in the second half…

And then just pilfered the ball back as soon as advantage was over.

Reactions: TSR

Yoda

Bob Loudon (25)
My point is about consistency and building confidence in the role - the below list of starting 10s over the past 4 seasons demonstrates how this has been sorely missing of late. The last time we had some consistency ('21) we had a pretty strong season - other factors at play of course.

Over the past 3 seasons, Carter Gordon strung together the most games with 5; Lolesio has had 3 in a row at most, and Donaldson with 2. You can't build a team like this.

'21
'22
'23
'24
France 1 - LolesioEngland 1 - LolesioSouth Africa - CooperWales 1 - Lolesio
France 2 - LolesioEngland 2 - LolesioArgentina - CooperWales 2 - Lolesio
France 3 - LolesioEngland 3 - LolesioNZ 1 - GordonGeorgia - Donaldson
NZ 1 - LolesioArgentina 1 - CooperNZ 2 - Gordon
NZ 2 - LolesioArgentina 2 - O’ConnorFrance - Gordon
NZ 3 - LolesioSouth Africa 1 - LolesioGeorgia - Gordon
South Africa 1 - CooperSouth Africa 2 - LolesioFiji - Gordon
South Africa 2 - CooperNZ 1 - FoleyWales - Donaldson
Argentina 1 - CooperNZ 2 - FoleyPortugal - Donaldson
Argentina 2 - CooperScotland - Foley
Japan - CooperFrance - Foley
Scotland - O'ConnorItaly - Lolesio
England - O'ConnorIreland - Foley
Wales - O'ConnorWales - Donaldson
This is quite interesting… if you look at the starting 10 position, Donaldson has only started 4 times, which isn’t a lot to build any confidence. Especially after being thrown in by Eddie for the crucial Wales match at the World Cup, after playing him at 15 ahead of Kellaway in the first two of the Cup. Then Portugal then Georgia. Agreed, no All Blacks or South Africa but two Tests in a row is not a lot. Comparing to Noah, who had initially 6 Tests in a row….3 Tests against France, followed by 3 against the ABs, which was at least a fair chance to establish himself? Then in 2022, 3 straight Tests against England. Now the first two this year against Wales. Not many back young Donaldson but to be fair, give him 6 straight Tests at 10 and then judge? Along with Lynagh, they are our 3 best… I’m just glad they are being coached by Joe, because if anyone can get them to improve it’s him.

Beattie

Allen Oxlade (6)
My point is about consistency and building confidence in the role - the below list of starting 10s over the past 4 seasons demonstrates how this has been sorely missing of late. The last time we had some consistency ('21) we had a pretty strong season - other factors at play of course.

Over the past 3 seasons, Carter Gordon strung together the most games with 5; Lolesio has had 3 in a row at most, and Donaldson with 2. You can't build a team like this.

'21
'22
'23
'24
France 1 - LolesioEngland 1 - LolesioSouth Africa - CooperWales 1 - Lolesio
France 2 - LolesioEngland 2 - LolesioArgentina - CooperWales 2 - Lolesio
France 3 - LolesioEngland 3 - LolesioNZ 1 - GordonGeorgia - Donaldson
NZ 1 - LolesioArgentina 1 - CooperNZ 2 - Gordon
NZ 2 - LolesioArgentina 2 - O’ConnorFrance - Gordon
NZ 3 - LolesioSouth Africa 1 - LolesioGeorgia - Gordon
South Africa 1 - CooperSouth Africa 2 - LolesioFiji - Gordon
South Africa 2 - CooperNZ 1 - FoleyWales - Donaldson
Argentina 1 - CooperNZ 2 - FoleyPortugal - Donaldson
Argentina 2 - CooperScotland - Foley
Japan - CooperFrance - Foley
Scotland - O'ConnorItaly - Lolesio
England - O'ConnorIreland - Foley
Wales - O'ConnorWales - Donaldson
Quade and Carter were the best two players to manage the jersey over a three year cycle until Carter gained test experience and secured the jersey long term. Ben Donaldsons the third backup as utility between 10 and 15. Lynagh in the background developing.