• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Scotland, Murrayfield, Sun 30th Oct, 3.30am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitefalcon

Jim Clark (26)
I think our backs seriously suffered from the mess at the breakdown.

It was a free for all in the first half, then seemingly from about the 60th on it was over reffed (by comparison)

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
Second half not as fun to watch as the first. But some good things - wallabies lineout and maul defence.

Defence in general- Scotland playing those big sweeping plays, we held them pretty well.

Scrum did well.

We did give away some penalties and the breakdown though.

I’m not sure how the Scotland yellow wasn’t a red.

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
Two great young kids make their debuts as well, so congratulations to those players in that achievement.

It was also great to see Ned Hanigan back after the difficult last couple of years he has faced as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Next week I'd start Hanigan at 6 and Jed bench in a 7:2. Neville benched for Skelton.

Foley was uninspiring and poor as the 10 but remains due to his goalkicking which is very important up here.

Banks can go back to Japan. Jock to start at 15. Wright didn't do much wrong so maybe he can remain for now. Start Tupou.

Tate to start again if he passes HIA.

The reason our breakdown was so poor is we had no decent carriers outside Rob and Len. Skelton and Tupou on at the same time fixes this and defences should be weaker in the 2nd half.

Last edited:

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Well that was a nail biter.

I didn’t mind the interpretation of the McDermott clean out if that’s how it was interpreted all the time. But it’s not and any other day of the week, someone in a gold jersey, even Retallick this time around, twice on Sundays, that’s a red.

Foley didn’t have a great game but at the same time he also won it for us. I’m happy to move on from him if there is a viable alternative, which there isn’t.

Im also looking forward to BR’s entertaining critique of the game which will fail to mention Tom Banks. In this instance there are viable alternatives. If it’s a choice between one of the Brumby Toms at fullback I’m picking Wright. However, Kellaway, Campbell, Hodge and even Donaldson should all be ahead of him at 15.

Ill take the win but I’m not overly confident about the rest of the tour, Italy aside.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A win is a win. As underwhelming as that was. Lawrie is going to have to do some more yelling this week.

Attack was really non-existent other than the early McDermott spark and some Ikitau class (he didn’t break the like but his angles and foot work created space). Some hard workers in the pack but the urgency or, more importantly, the accuracy wasn’t there.

Foley’s goal kicking was his only positive other than that cover tackle. Gees he got lucky with that kick for line. Was Banks injured? Why wasn’t he kicking for line?

Id like Foketi to start although Hunter did find his way into the match. Foketi offers more though.

Congrats to the debutants and it was good to see Hooper and Hanigan back.

Last edited:

HogansHeros

Bob Loudon (25)
Never been a fan of starting Tupou, he does his best work off the bench.

Seems the pack goes MIA around the ruck... catch 22, need stronger ball runners but also need some quicker loosies to get to the breakdown?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I thought it an a fairly reasonable test, Wallabies would be happy with win, and deserved it. Wasn't a lot of standout players, whole team went ok I thought.
I have to say I personally think Luke Pearce is probably my favourite ref at moment, seems to be quite considered in his opinions, and generally pretty bang on. I not sure about the ruling on the YC, but am comfortable if that's how it's ruled generally, I must admit I prefer a ref finds reasons NOT to rc (or yc) a player then the opposite, but that's just me , I prefer 15 on 15.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Luke Pearce is probably my favourite ref at moment, seems to be quite considered in his opinions, and generally pretty bang on. I not sure about the ruling on the YC, but am comfortable if that's how it's ruled generally, I must admit I prefer a ref finds reasons NOT to rc (or yc) a player then the opposite, but that's just me , I prefer 15 on 15.
Scotland throws into the lineout were repeatedly not straight.

The rucks in the first half were refereed inconsistently between the two teams (and the Tupou call was contrary to almost every Scotland defensive ruck all game)

Head contact like that has been an instant red for several years.

Your post is wrong.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Foley copping a bit here but he’s done a job, kicked his goals and I thought his general play kicking was pretty much on point. I can see why they’ll stick with him and he will likely get an inside run to the RWC now. If he can stand and deliver when Kerevi comes back, finding a fullback who can make plays and break the line would also be a bonus for him. I’d like to see Campbell start next game.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I didn’t think Foley was that bad, not enough to warrant any real criticism.

Wallabies forwards were woeful at protecting the ball in the first half, got better in the second but jeez they were sloppy around the ruck. Made life hard for the halves.

Status
Not open for further replies.