• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That doesn't even take into account Turner's superior boot, versatility and Test match experience. But hey, Davies scored a hat-trick in Super rugby and Turner didn't so Davies is the superior Test match player...

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
That doesn't even take into account Turner's superior boot, versatility and Test match experience. But hey, Davies scored a hat-trick in Super rugby and Turner didn't so Davies is the superior Test match player...

You don't need to put words in people's mouths. Davies MAY be a better test football player than Turner because of the differences in their Super Rugby performances. Think of it like an hypothesis that people are keen to prove rather than an accepted fact.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry I don't understand. Like I said, I wanted Davies to get selected to prove his worth. He deserves his selection. All I'm saying is that it's ridiculous to say Davies is a better Test match player than Turner because it's based on nothing.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Didn't want to create a new thread, so figured here would be the best place.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...ydney-university/story-e6frf55l-1226095826703

Good to see him begining his comeback, hopefully he comes back strong and pushes for a WC spot

Without a name in your post I thought maybe this was an article about Drew Mitchell slowly getting back on his feet. His rip-roaring form the last 12 months would have been dynamite in the Wallabies and I hate to figure out who would have been left on the bench between him, Ioane and JOC (James O'Connor).

As it turns out, the link is about ol' Sookface. Don't get me wrong about what I'm about to say - I think he's a fantastic player and Australian rugby is weaker is without him.... BUT... I honestly don't believe that the WC is the time for him to get back on the paddock. I guess the lure of Bill is just too great, but all common sense surely points in the direction that he needs to give his body (and brain) time away from the game to recover. And one month really doesn't cut it.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Suggesting Turner is a Dunning to Davies' Kepu is a gross disservice to a very good winger.

Turner may not have lived up to his sizzling junior rugby potential, but his highlights reel is every bit as good as Davies, he has never bombed in a test like Drew has done from time to time, he has outstanding work rate and is a watertight tackler.

I don't understand what people expect.

W

What2040

Irrespective of all the knockers - congrats to the lad from Rockvegas - Rod Davies - think this is his first CAP ?

Shame for JOC (James O'Connor) - bloody injury from a Promo -

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Davies had a much better Super 15 this year than Turner, so gets Davies gets his chance ahead of Turner. It's not too complex. One thing that has impressed me with Davies this year is that his game has become much more well rounded. His defence and involvements are way better than the previous year, as was his physicality. Some of the tries that Davies scored this year I don't think that Turner would've finished, giving Turner's style of play and form (eg the 2nd? or 3rd? Davies try in the Blues semi, after he took a short ball from A. Fainga'a and still had to beat a couple men to score). This year, I would rate Davies' finishing ability above Turner's.

Originally being a fullback, I think that Davies is now an out and out winger, so I would also agree that Turner has the nod on versatility, if you need it for the squad (Turner makes a better fullback and much much better 13 than Davies, and although I haven't yet seen Turner shine at either position in Super rugby, but he does cover both adequately). On a 5/2 bench split, I can see why Turner would be a better option, depending on the back reserves, especially if the consideration was for either Davies or Turner on the bench.

Turner for me has been disappointing for the past two years - people talk about his highlight reel, which is impressive, but in the last two years he just hasn't live up to his touted potential. I don't know whether it's the players around him, or not, but he is too rarely seen in flight, and too rarely seen busting tackles (although the stats say he does as much as Davies). The one-on-one tackle busting is often what makes Kiwi wingers, and wingers like Mitchell, Ioane, even J'OC, very dangerous on attack. It was also something I thought that Davies didn't do, but has done this year to finish some nice tries. However, it is worth noting that one of Turner's better games for the last two years was vs the All Blacks, where I thought he played very well indeed.

We'll need to wait and see if Davies gets a real chance against a top 10 test team this year, and see how he goes then.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Suggesting Turner is a Dunning to Davies' Kepu is a gross disservice to a very good winger.

Turner may not have lived up to his sizzling junior rugby potential, but his highlights reel is every bit as good as Davies, he has never bombed in a test like Drew has done from time to time, he has outstanding work rate and is a watertight tackler.

Too fly and bring on world peace. Most underated winger in Australian Rugby. Davies is quick but Turner has a far more rounded overall game.

T

TOCC

The comments are been taken out context, in hindsight it was a poor example, I was purely reffering to the 2011 form of Kepu over Dunning and ones wallaby experience..subsequently that the factoring of prior wallaby experience is at time vastly overrated

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do you have to buy tickets via ticketek or can you purchase them at the gate?

You can get them at the gate - LG

Cheers LG. I haven't confirmed numbers yet and didn't want to buy tickets only to have more people want to come or pull out. Buying them at the gate will be the far more flexible option.

Last time I ventured out to Homebush, it was the Tahs v Brumbies match, and whilst waiting in the line to buy tickets at the entrance, someone came along and offered us tickets at a lower price than that printed on it.

O

O_fer_awesome

Dunno about anyone else, but looking forward to seeing the state of James So’oialo's mullet. It was looking pretty impressive during the recent Pacific Nations Cup. So hope he gets a run off the bench, for the sake of the mullet

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This Wallaby side looks a little thrown together and the Samoan side slightly better than usual.
JOC (James O'Connor) could have been counted on to turn on some magic for a try or two and will be missed.
Should be an interesting match.
Many are looking for us to be technically superior at the set piece. I hope this proves to be the case.
Go the Wallabies!

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Congrats to Davies, this will certainly test his defensive against the bigger wingers and how he handles the top level. Still won't know anything until the Tri Nations but will be good to see how he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.