• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
We did adjust. Pocock did. But it didn't matter. He reffed 2 teams differently.
Players will adjust - if you let it be a dog fight at the ruck both teams will work that out quickly and adjust to that. It was very inconsistent tonight and there was no flow. Don't get me wrong- not saying wallabies were hard done by just saying the ref made a game that was hard to watch.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

lpd

Jimmy Flynn (14)
So in my mind next week Robertson more game time, looked really good again, credit to him answering critics. Tui starting, was damaging. Tupou 100% start. Finally got us some front foot ball and surely cannot be stopped 5m out. Wouldn't mind Hodge getting a gig at 13 maybe, just so we can get some clearance on our kicks. With a foley pop gun, it's just 10m out line outs to ireland on repeat, can't do that with their retention. As frustrating as that was all is not lost and really think we can take out the series

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
That game was lost in the contact and up front. Blaming Beale and Foley is the wrong option. Any back will look good in front of a pack making metres- we didn’t tonight and couldn’t stop Ireland from making metres through the middle.

That's not the main problem. The main problem was their poor decision making and even poorer kicking from hand. Simply handed the ball back to the Irish in a strong position for the Irish. And not every kick was under pressure, but I can't remember even one in general play that could be called as having a positive outcome for the Wallabies.

I actually think the defense held up ok, but Beale is starting to go high again and that won't end well for the Wallabies. It was the lack of attacking smarts that let us down and I hold both those players primarily responsible. Christ, even Cheika looked disgusted at one point witha kick from Beale, and he was subbed not long afterwards.

Time for the lovers to stop making excuses for sub-par performances from these two.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's not the main problem. The main problem was their poor decision making and even poorer kicking from hand. Simply handed the ball back to the Irish in a strong position for the Irish. And not every kick was under pressure, but I can't remember even one in general play that could be called as having a positive outcome for the Wallabies.

I actually think the defense held up ok, but Beale is starting to go high again and that won't end well for the Wallabies. It was the lack of attacking smarts that let us down and I hold both those players primarily responsible. Christ, even Cheika looked disgusted at one point witha kick from Beale, and he was subbed not long afterwards.

Time for the lovers to stop making excuses for sub-par performances from these two.
I dont think either played well, but no one else played any better. Last week everyone performed well. This week it was almost the reverse.

I sadly think our race is run without Genia.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Big call. DHP was my Aussie MOM. Was the only one who produced the goods everytime he was involved.

That's right Reg, but he just didn't have the number of involvements that the other three had in the game. Big effort by Sio to stay there until around the 72nd minute.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
The Wallabies... From the sublime last week to the incompetent this week. Poor discipline... kicking bombs and flick passes inside the 22... taking a tap leading to giving away a penalty...a halfback whose passing is so bad it gives the opposition an extra meter of rush time...

tragic

John Solomon (38)
just so we can get some clearance on our kicks. With a foley pop gun, it's just 10m out line outs to ireland on repeat, can't do that with their retention.

Beale and DHP both have better boots than foley. I just can’t fathom why we don’t drop them into 1st receiver when we need to exit. As I said last week foleys kicking from hand is never going to change - it’s part of the package. We need a plan B. It’s not rocket science.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Ireland deserved to win that as much as we did last week. We reverted to type big time. Seeing Phipps flinging passes half a metre above players heads was particularly painful. Someone promote Gordon plz.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

But he wasn't. By all means show me some. His delivery was a bit slow at times, we got pretty badly organised with receivers because we were getting beaten up at the breakdown. His defence was good though. Gordon is slower. In any event, Powell would be next.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ireland have no attacking edge pure blunt but effective , australia by 20+ next week ireland have proven the point and will put out a 2nd/3rd team next week
Very few teams beat oz cutting edge just need to work on the stuff in tight

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Foley doesn't have it. We will never win a Bledisloe or Lions series with him in the team. I agree he's probably our best option at the moment and he's good enough that he will have his moments against lesser teams. The sooner we move him on the closer we are to finding a quality 10 who can lead us in big games.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ireland very good and showed why no.2 but yes penalties and discipline issue for wallabies.

But still good contest between top 2 and 3 side...looking forward to Sydney decider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
But he wasn't. By all means show me some. His delivery was a bit slow at times, we got pretty badly organised with receivers because we were getting beaten up at the breakdown. His defence was good though. Gordon is slower. In any event, Powell would be next.

His slowness and inaccuracy gave the Irish defense an extra few seconds to rush up. Stopping any chance of us to build momentum in attack. It's been a problem with his game at this level for years.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Cyclo, I don't wish to exaggerate but I really think I saw more of his passes either over the receivers' heads or almost at their boot laces, than I saw go to the midriff area. He was slower than usual, but he was also inaccurate with his passes.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Cyclo, I don't wish to exaggerate but I really think I saw more of his passes either over the receivers' heads or almost at their boot laces, than I saw go to the midriff area. He was slower than usual, but he was also inaccurate with his passes.

I thought he has pretty ordinary as well. Joe Powell has been pretty sharp in a fairly blunt Brumbies team this year and deserves a crack!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Are you fucking kidding? The loss at the gain line was not a problem? It was all the problem. We got slowed on our ball, we were passive on theirs, they got momentum (with big support runners on the hip all night), we had none, and had sub 30% possession and territory by oranges. Plus (and as a consequence), we were giving away cheap penalties. Easy points. Scrum? Good. Lineout? Good. Defence? Scrambled well enough, but passive. Kicking was poor, granted. But, you think we lost that because of kicking, and that what happened up front was not a problem?? I'm convinced you just don't get rugby much. Ireland dominated the important part of that game totally. They (especially Toner) limited Pocock's effect, although he still got a couple (because he's a freak), they blocked Folau's chasing lines all night very well, and eliminated the high-ball threat. The rest for them was gravy. Bloody smart team. We were inaccurate in many aspects, including kicking. But the battle was on the advantage line.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

And I think you're wrong. And, therefore, you do wish to exaggerate. :D

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Hodge to 10 with his kicking game and let Beale do most of the playmaking? Means you have a bit more defensive stability and imo a less hit and miss player. At the very least we need to start getting people involved where they are needed, not by jersey number. DHP or Beale should be exiting for us as they have bigger boots and Beale has a superior short kicking game to Foley

Status
Not open for further replies.