• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Georgia 20 July - Allianz Stadium 3.45PM

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
ironically it's the very thing NRL are looking to outlaw given the risk of concussions, and whilst i agree it's good viewing i tend to agree about the risk of head contact to the defender, it's most common in NRL, but you often have the defenders sandwiching each other and it usually leaves one of the tacklers without somewhere to stick his head.

Unfortunately, that doesn't suit the rugby narrative, where we seem solely focused on protecting the ball carrier and have, thus far, neglected the risk posed to defenders.
I get you, but it's a tricky one. If we saw the exact same scenario in the NRL, I doubt we'd see the tacklers getting into anywhere near as low a position as the ABs were (a few of the Origin hits were testament to this), inherently making it more dangerous for all involved.

I think we've so far gone down the right path in encourage good body height and positioning, but agree focussing on the safety of tacklers is probably the next step. Not sure what the answer is, but I do think it's again related to technique as opposed to trying to outlaw aspects of free play.