• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v Georgia 20 July - Allianz Stadium 3.45PM

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
Intersting to see some of the comments from his coaches over the last few years.

Rennie (Oct 2021) - “Staying home is going to give him an opportunity to make make shifts physically and in his game which is going to allow him to excel at this level. He’s being really mature around it. (Note reported elsewhere Rennie wanted him to focus on an offseason and getting bigger/stronger)

Wilson (June 2022) “I had a few good conversations with him there and he’s reinforced a few areas of my game which includes my ball carry,” said Wilson. “He thought he saw some good growth there and talked about he wants me to keep improving it........My footwork that he wants me to work on is not just an overnight fix,” Wilson said. “I’ve made improvement, which he’s noted, but he’s also wants to see more growth.

“Part of it was working on my speed,” Wilson said. “I’m used to getting flogged for hours and hours and doing fitness in preseasons but this one as more speed – power based . I felt like I got a lot benefit from. I tried to lose a couple of kgs and it can only help with your agility. I think I’ve found my weight now that I can play my best footy at. Hopefully I don’t go back to being a Harry tight pants any time soon.It’s been good this week, I’ve done some one on one stuff with him and he’s trying to help with a few more finer details.

Harry Wilson on Rennie (Dec 2022) - "I'll leave that between me and Dave," he said of the feedback he'd received. "I spoke about that a lot last year and don't want to talk about it again." "I feel as if I did (respond last season), so I'm very frustrated. The feeling of not being a part of the group hurts and I think I'm good enough to get back in there. Rugby's a funny game so I'm going to have to (believe there's a way back into the team); if you go in without that mindset it's not going to go too well."

Eddie Jones (2023) - “Harry needs to work harder to fulfil his talent,” “I’m sure he will make the right choice and we are backing him 100 per cent.”

Schmidt (July 2024) “For a big man, he’s a good athlete. So we want to see the athleticism,” said Schmidt. “He’s got good skill set. I think probably just the consistency of that skill set. He’s got to demonstrate that every time … and staying in the game. Because of the way some teams play, he plays on the edge quite a bit and I think sometimes he can drift a little bit and then he’s not in the game. With a guy like Harry, he’s got to stay in the game. Even if he’s not immediately around the ball, he’s got to stay connected to what’s happening so that he’s ready when the ball does become available. And if he is, he’s a weapon.”

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No, I selected Valetini for my 3 points in the first test and Gordon got 2.

The fact remains though that the overwhelming majority of posters (all but 3) picked Gordon among their MOTM votes for the first test. My comment was more on the basis of BR trying to make some sort of objective reasoning as to why he didn't give Gordon votes in the second test where the evidence from his first test voting makes it seem very likely that Gordon wouldn't get points regardless of how well he played.
He would need to be in the top three performers and imo he wasn't. So shoot me.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
BR actually voted for Gordon once back in 2023 and gave him 2 points.. Edit: This was likely Carter Gordon

But to otherwise settle the great debate of BR's Player Voting trends, clearly it's the Reds & Rebels who miss the most through parochialism. POTY Votes 2023-2024 ;)
Number of players picked across 3, 2, 1 by BRTotal points awarded by BR
Brumbies
19​
33​
Waratahs
8​
15​
Rebels
2​
4​
Force
1​
2​
Reds
1​
2​
Overseas
1​
3​

Disclaimer: I acknowledge i too exhibit parochialism in my voting
That's interesting Adam and thank you for going to the trouble of putting it together. I would hazard most posters would have a similar profile of votes favouring the team they support. I'm also wondering if in that period the Brumbies might have dominated the team selections or if they were just in better form as indicated by their position on the Super ladder over those years. I don't expect you to do any further analysis to determine if there are any other factors at play other than my inherent biases.

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
What’s the expected crowd? Given it’s the last weekend of school holidays and no kids sport I can only assume every junior rugby club in the city has been given some red hot deals to get the kids and families along? Given the arvo time slot, beers and lunch in Paddo followed by the rugby should attract 25000?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Intersting to see some of the comments from his coaches over the last few years.

I'm still a bit confused.

My take from the latest Schmidt comments is that potentially it's about finding ways to impact the game more when the game isn't flowing in the direction that suits him.

He's great at being a starring player in a team that's going well but can he more consistently stand out when the team is struggling?

Given how good Rob Valetini has been over the last few years maybe it would have been more helpful for everyone if coaches had focused on feedback that might see him develop his game to better complement Valetini so they could fit into the same backrow better. The road until now has basically been you're a number 8 but Rob Valetini is also a number 8 and is a lynchpin of this team so you're somewhat shit out of luck.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)

My take from the latest Schmidt comments is that potentially it's about finding ways to impact the game more when the game isn't flowing in the direction that suits him.

He's great at being a starring player in a team that's going well but can he more consistently stand out when the team is struggling?

Given how good Rob Valetini has been over the last few years maybe it would have been more helpful for everyone if coaches had focused on feedback that might see him develop his game to better complement Valetini so they could fit into the same backrow better. The road until now has basically been you're a number 8 but Rob Valetini is also a number 8 and is a lynchpin of this team so you're somewhat shit out of luck.
This could be kind of what Schmidt's saying here isn't it? Valetini is going to be doing a lot of tight carrying, so you better get out of the wide channel you like to play in and get in tighter to make sure we win the ball when it's his carry.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

That is I think a key piece of the frustration from the Rennie era - the initial feedback of "footwork" was something he could and did improve, but it wasn't ever going to be what he needed to get a solid shot at a place in the side. Se he somes back having done the work he was asked to do but then gets overlooked but it's not what they really need from him. Particularly frustrating for him given the manner in which he missed out on the EOYT in 2022. That mismanagement really came back to bite Rennie though, his squad (and team) selection and management of some of those fringe players was a major factor in the loss against Italy.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
You're all wrong - it needs to be based on anthem performance.

When the camera's on you, you better be fucking belting it. Extra points for crying.
I believe Schmidt was crying in the first test.

Geoff Parking was asking why they couldn’t play ‘God Save the King’

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Fair enough too to give BR a hard time about the MOM votes. Clearly biased.

Whilst we are talking about MOM is there anyway the voting can be opened pre-game. I know I’m going to be busy tomorrow night and I wanted to get my votes in for Wilson, McReight and Tim Ryan before the game starts so I don’t forget.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
100%. I think it's very clear that the first Wales test was easily his best test match and the second Wales test very likely his second best test match.

He has undoubtedly been unable to transfer Super Rugby form to test form prior to 2024. A couple of times where he's put himself in position to be selected for the Wallabies at the start of the season (such as France 2021), he's lost his spot pretty quickly.

Clearly he thought his time was done because he finished the Super Rugby season seeking to leave and commence a contract in Europe. Instead he's Schmidt's first choice 9 for the Wallabies. It will be interesting to see how he goes against the Springboks in the Rugby Championship. With a new coach and a somewhat blank slate it seems like he's got a prime opportunity to cement himself as the first choice 9 for some time after a strong start.
We need a hybrid of the 3 number 9s.
Gordon (so far) has had the best kicks and has been used in that capacity a lot. I think his box-kicking has always been pretty good (but tbh I don't claim any authority, as I deep down hate box kicks, despite their utility). Is quite good on the sneaky turnover ball / opportunistic darts / tries; not as much on fast ball from the base (maybe a factor of how much kicking he does).
McDermott the most dangerous runner; box kicking OK at times but verges on pretty ordinary - some in the first test went about 5 yards it seemed. Quick play option / passing very good.
Both are threats in a way.
White has got way too ponderous with kicking from the base and look an easy charge-down target. I think he has been passed by the others, and maybe by others coming through soon enough.
Put all their best bits together and we get....
About 0.75 of an Aaron Smith. ;)
Just gotta keep the hybrid out of airport toilets.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'm not sure Rennie did see the improvement in footwork that he wanted to see

Wilson running straight
I'm not sure that's exactly that's what I'd call a complete summary of his game at the time, particularly when we were playing with strategies of how best to return drop outs and that was one of them.

I'm a bit more sure that someone from rugby.com.au is lurking here looking for material though, they just happened to repost this to twitter a few minutes ago:

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I'm not sure that's exactly that's what I'd call a complete summary of his game at the time, particularly when we were playing with strategies of how best to return drop outs and that was one of them.

I'm a bit more sure that someone from rugby.com.au is lurking here looking for material though, they just happened to repost this to twitter a few minutes ago:
Hmmmmm we're looking at you @rugbyAU. Conveniently forgetting to include the .com in your username is a classic case of misdirection.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)

While I'm here - this is such fucking good viewing. A 20m run-it-straight challenge into a wall of 4 AB forwards. Lead in the pencil stuff.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I always thought this 1 minute of play in that game was what cost Wilson his spot, and any chance with Rennie. Follow the red headgear until the Pistol Pete saves the day (from 47:34 on the link)

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
While I'm here - this is such fucking good viewing. A 20m run-it-straight challenge into a wall of 4 AB forwards. Lead in the pencil stuff.

ironically it's the very thing NRL are looking to outlaw given the risk of concussions, and whilst i agree it's good viewing i tend to agree about the risk of head contact to the defender, it's most common in NRL, but you often have the defenders sandwiching each other and it usually leaves one of the tacklers without somewhere to stick his head.

Unfortunately, that doesn't suit the rugby narrative, where we seem solely focused on protecting the ball carrier and have, thus far, neglected the risk posed to defenders.