• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France - June 14 Etihad Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Hopefully it won't be long before there is no debate and they look to the skipper for the call.
Hooper did ok there but he didn't talk to Barns well, he seemed a little off in that respect to me. Maybe sounding disrespectful.. not a bad display but I took an interest in it. All in all not bad for the first up Test

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
What language was AFL converted speaking. I was pissed and still couldn't work it out. I still cant't get the message now.
I shouldn't talk.. Pretty sure I've written in Japanese Pig Latin before

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Copy pasting this from the review comments as I can't be bothered to rewrite something but this is my opinion. Please excuse the slightly aggressive tone, it was written in reply to other comments so take it otu of context!

Sorry guys but I'm going to be one of the "gullible idiots" here and say it was a hard fought result - ugly, but definitely not the worst game of footy i've seen. Ewen McKenzie is known for his variation in game plans depending on what he believes the opposition are going to bring to the table.

And tonight he correctly identified the fact that we wouldn't be getting quick ball and the space out wide that we did last week. It's pretty fucking basic stuff, just look at the number of blokes the French were putting into the break down and the number of guys they had in their defensive line compared to last week. Their aim was to suffocate the wobs of any fast ball and shut down wide running from players like Tevita and Israel. And they did that fairly successfully

Throwing it wide and cutting them to pieces wasn't going to work, so we had to try something different. Watch the Reds vs Stormers match in 2011 (or 2012?), you'll see he employs a similar, territorial game plan because they were one of the best defensive sides in the comp, and the reds came away with the win. And yet the reds WERE (ha, not anymore) known as the attacking powerhouse of S15 back then.

Have some fucking faith would you? Out of the past 5 games we have WON, this has proved to be a rare deviation from the brilliant attacking displays we are becoming so accustomed to. Link and the Wallabies just secured a 6th straight win for the first time in almost 10 years, that's not something to piss over because you "thought it was the shittest game of rugby you'd ever seen" which frankly, it just wasn't. We showed grit and determination and didnt fuck everything up like we did under Deans. There was a clear gameplan employed and it worked.

I will qualify all this by saying that I thought we should've used the space in behind the french defensive line more as their wingers were always up in the flat line rather than watching for a short kick. Foley needed to try some more short dabs (kind of like the Matty To'omua one which should've been a bloody try). We were on the shy side tonight, but this is still a growing team that needs to continue to build confidence, and a gritty win like tonight's will do just that.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Dire game to be at live, just woeful, especially at Etihad where you are too far away to see or hear the impacts. Two biggest cheers I heard in my end of the stadium were for darts that made it onto the pitch.

Hardcore fans can say purist rugby and a wins a win all you like but game attendances will plummet if we keep serving up that style of game. Game got better once subs came on but too late.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I agree but this was a horrible spectacle.
I took 4 mates into the medallion club and at half time
I had to convince them all to come
Back and not watch the afl -
And they are all open to rugby. It was just horrible. Issy kicked shockingly. Foley didn't provide much at all and we reverted to toomuas boot far too much.
The rebels would be furious with that display in a town that needs good rugby.
Get the games out of etihad and I am still suspect
On tours over one off matches. Wouldn't we be better off seeing England for one game every year or Ireland or Wales or France. I do wonder how much tours ex england add.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Dire game to be at live, just woeful, especially at Etihad where you are too far away to see or hear the impacts. Two biggest cheers I heard in my end of the stadium were for darts that made it onto the pitch.

Hardcore fans can say purist rugby and a wins a win all you like but game attendances will plummet if we keep serving up that style of game. Game got better once subs came on but too late.
Absolutely horrible live. Etihad is woeful. I had the best seats in the house. Medallion club aisle 21 row b. Useless. Can't see shit.
Get the games to AAMI. England included. I would happily pay $20 more for a game at AAMI.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
It was good for the Lions but I 100% agree AAMI better fir anything other than a bled and maybe not that.

That said todays game would still have been dire at AAMI. I find it very hard to believe that was our gameplan, and if it was Link needs a firm kick up the ass because the game must be more dynamic to have any future here.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Absolutely horrible live. Etihad is woeful. I had the best seats in the house. Medallion club aisle 21 row b. Useless. Can't see shit.
Get the games to AAMI. England included. I would happily pay $20 more for a game at AAMI.
Do it ARU needs to play in Rugby grounds.. We fill them constantly then expand them or charge more.. That means Suncorp, AAMI and the SFS..

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I agree but this was a horrible spectacle.
I took 4 mates into the medallion club and at half time
I had to convince them all to come
Back and not watch the afl -
And they are all open to rugby. It was just horrible. Issy kicked shockingly. Foley didn't provide much at all and we reverted to toomuas boot far too much.
The rebels would be furious with that display in a town that needs good rugby.
Get the games out of etihad and I am still suspect
On tours over one off matches. Wouldn't we be better off seeing England for one game every year or Ireland or Wales or France. I do wonder how much tours ex england add.

I agree that it was actually bad for promoting the game but we can't expect them to go out there and win with brilliant attacking flair every time. It's unfortunate that it occurred in Melbourne, but they're still a relatively young team under a somewhat new regime, so we're going to have some faith that they will pick themselves up next week and go out their and score tries and throw the footy around. At least this week they still won!!

I just strongly disagree with those who are taking this one anomaly and treating it as some sort of sign that we are a boring, unenterprising and deliberately negative side when all evidence up until last night points to the COMPLETE opposite.

Have a little faith, we're getting there.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How much game time has Nyanga and Dusatoir had in the last few months? I hope they're underdone for our sake. The pack will need to roll up their sleeves and throw themselves into the breakdowns all night, especially Hooper and Fardy. Picamoles as the impact sub is frightening indeed.

Scary proposition with the French front row being rested and their bench front row from last week being just as proficient at scrum time. Slipper will have his work cut out for him against Slimani.

Wallabies by 6.
Was expecting the score to be something like 26-20 but I'll take that!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Just watched the game.

We should have won by more. I am not critical of the tactics, or the kicking. I am critical of our option taking and execution in the French 22. We should have scored 2 or 3 tries, but bottled it with impatience, botched lineouts, inaccurate cleanouts and generally shitty play.

We held the French to 0, and in reality they never came close to scoring a try (except maybe in the early minutes with the kick through off the ground from their half). So that's a big positive. So was the scrum.

I would have liked to see more from our 10-12, both were poor. And we needed some stronger carries from our pigs in their 22.

It was an OK performance, with plenty of positives and negatives. I think that will help us beat the ABs way more than what happened in Brisbane.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
well i'm a purist, and i love a great test tussle, but this was arguably one of the worst games iv'e seen.
on TV it might have looked a better spectacle, but live it really was dire.
the paper plane contest was the evenings highlight
Received messages from the ground concurring with your thoughts

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Copy pasting this from the review comments as I can't be bothered to rewrite something but this is my opinion. Please excuse the slightly aggressive tone, it was written in reply to other comments so take it otu of context!

Sorry guys but I'm going to be one of the "gullible idiots" here and say it was a hard fought result - ugly, but definitely not the worst game of footy i've seen. Ewen McKenzie is known for his variation in game plans depending on what he believes the opposition are going to bring to the table.

And tonight he correctly identified the fact that we wouldn't be getting quick ball and the space out wide that we did last week. It's pretty fucking basic stuff, just look at the number of blokes the French were putting into the break down and the number of guys they had in their defensive line compared to last week. Their aim was to suffocate the wobs of any fast ball and shut down wide running from players like Tevita and Israel. And they did that fairly successfully

Throwing it wide and cutting them to pieces wasn't going to work, so we had to try something different. Watch the Reds vs Stormers match in 2011 (or 2012?), you'll see he employs a similar, territorial game plan because they were one of the best defensive sides in the comp, and the reds came away with the win. And yet the reds WERE (ha, not anymore) known as the attacking powerhouse of S15 back then.

Have some fucking faith would you? Out of the past 5 games we have WON, this has proved to be a rare deviation from the brilliant attacking displays we are becoming so accustomed to. Link and the Wallabies just secured a 6th straight win for the first time in almost 10 years, that's not something to piss over because you "thought it was the shittest game of rugby you'd ever seen" which frankly, it just wasn't. We showed grit and determination and didnt fuck everything up like we did under Deans. There was a clear gameplan employed and it worked.

I will qualify all this by saying that I thought we should've used the space in behind the french defensive line more as their wingers were always up in the flat line rather than watching for a short kick. Foley needed to try some more short dabs (kind of like the Matty To'omua one which should've been a bloody try). We were on the shy side tonight, but this is still a growing team that needs to continue to build confidence, and a gritty win like tonight's will do just that.
To add to your sentiment:

Successful teams win, no matter how ugly. NZ don't give a rat's arse how they win at the moment. Their aim is winning every game up to the world cup and beyond. It's not easy but they are managing it so far.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Just watched the game.

We should have won by more. I am not critical of the tactics, or the kicking. I am critical of our option taking and execution in the French 22. We should have scored 2 or 3 tries, but bottled it with impatience, botched lineouts, inaccurate cleanouts and generally shitty play.

We held the French to 0, and in reality they never came close to scoring a try (except maybe in the early minutes with the kick through off the ground from their half). So that's a big positive. So was the scrum.

I would have liked to see more from our 10-12, both were poor. And we needed some stronger carries from our pigs in their 22.

It was an OK performance, with plenty of positives and negatives. I think that will help us beat the ABs way more than what happened in Brisbane.
Spot on, shit spectacle but;
We adapted our game plan.
Stuck to tactics.
Played disciplined rugby.
Scrummed well.
Low error account.
And ground it out.
For a first up test, it would have been a very very hard game to captain and Hoops did an awesome job to keep his players on the game for the full 80.

We've played some great attacking rugby over the last 9 months, good to see we can plan and execute a different approach. This will stand us in good position for future tests.

I say all that and I hate kicking

Scotty

David Codey (61)
White had fewer options - French were monstering the breakdown, our ball was less fast and clean a lot of the time, so our attacking runners were not always set so well, plus more back foot ball. He kicked OK, although our general standard of kicking from hand was mediocre.
I wouldn't bench White at all for that.
But McKenzie might tinker a little since we have the series, to see what others have to offer, so some changes might happen.

If Genia had a game like that - slow to get the ball out and kicking it away too much - the reaction on this forum would be different.

Funny how different players are held to different standards!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
If Genia had a game like that - slow to get the ball out and kicking it away too much - the reaction on this forum would be different.

Funny how different players are held to different standards!

Agree Scotty, it's hypocrisy central around here at times.

Horwill also had one of his best games of the year, apart from 2 early penalties, including smashing into rucks & mauls which was most peoples gripe about him and getting over the gain line . Is there one post here acknowledging this form turnaround? If so I haven't seen it.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree Scotty, it's hypocrisy central around here at times.

Horwill also had one of his best games of the year, apart from 2 early penalties, including smashing into rucks & mauls which was most peoples gripe about him and getting over the gain line . Is there one post here acknowledging this form turnaround? If so I haven't seen it.

Hear you, that was one of Horwills better games this year, it was what was needed. Genia didn't play so I can't comment

Status
Not open for further replies.