• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v France 1st test - Suncorp 7 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
We never usually get massive crowds for the June tests.

First the tour is devalued as the NH side doesn't bring their "stars" in the weeks before they even get here

Second we jump from S15 to tests with little promotion

Third, we often fiddle with line ups through this series as well

So in Sydney they aren't even playing the game at Homebush, it is at the SFS where a smaller crowd looks better
People are waking up that the June tests are little more than trial games against 2nd string teams. They have no meaning, when was the last time a June test was a great game of rugby.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Sam carter will not be overawed by the occasion, nor will he 'let the team down'. He comes from good stock, with a father who has played against the French in France, having been accommodated in "second-rate, rural hotels", with all their luggage being "mysteriously lost".

Seems like only yesterday I was at Concord Oval watching David Carter score a try against the Poms

http://www.espnscrum.com/statsguru/rugby/match/22072.html

Funny that Campese, Lynagh and Gary Ella scored tries that day, but I can only remember the Carter try. Probably because if was right in front of us on the hill. Hopefully Sam can emulate his Dad and score right in front of us again. (Caxton St end please Sam)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It isn't because of Will Genia being dropped, but I do believe that the reds being utterly shit is a pretty big part of it.

If the reds are winning then rugby us on the minds of the populace, if they suck then rugby is not on the minds of the populace.

No one at my work knew that there is a test match on this weekend, but half of them went to the reds 2011 final.

Agree. But, if it transpires at 29,000 on Saturday, that's a rolled gold disaster-zone for the ARU both financially and in terms of the general market vibe around rugby.

And btw, ARU marketing of this Test here has been virtually non-existent, big mistake.

The very lowest crowds at Suncorp for _any _ Wallaby Test in recent years have been low 40,000s. High 20,000s has been unheard of for Tests.

Finally, many, many rugby fans I know here came to hate the Deans Wallaby style of play. In recent years, Deans' name was routinely boo-ed when read out at the end of the team list at Suncorp.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think the Bledisloe later this year is a factor, as is the 2 Origin games.

But if they've budgeted for 29,000 than that's ok, as long as they get 29,000.

The big Wallaby jersey will be unraveled on the Kangaroo Point cliffs today I believe, ala the one last year for the Lions tour.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Cooper being injured is also a contributing factor to the reduced crowd.

Consumer confidence is pretty bloody low in Queensland right now as well.

But at the end of the day 30k for a Wallabies test is poor. This game should be a sell out.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the Bledisloe later this year is a factor, as is the 2 Origin games.

But if they've budgeted for 29,000 than that's ok, as long as they get 29,000.

According to that article they've estimated 29k based on the current ticket sales while assuming a late surge in demand and a decent walk up crowd. It might well be lower than that.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Those crowd numbers aren't particularly surprising.
The fact that there is 2 origins at Suncorp this month rather than 1 would have a big effect. Also crowd numbers have been down this season across the board. Just look at the shitty crowd that turned up for the trans-Tasman league test. - for the record that game pulled in a bigger than expected crowd. I expect they'll be more than 30k turn up on Saturday.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has there never been a Bledisloe or two origin games in Queensland before?

I read that in the article and find it to be a most curious excuse - as I am reasonably certain there have been Bledisloe and Origin games in Brisbane before.

INGSOC.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Why on earth is it OK to budget for a worryingly low (in fact lowest ever in recent times) number and then deeming the outcome just as OK solely as it's 'on budget'?

But such an approach would not surprise from 'our ARU'.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why on earth is it OK to budget for a worryingly low (in fact lowest ever in recent times) number and then deeming the outcome just as OK solely as it's 'on budget'?

But such an approach would not surprise from 'our ARU'.

You budget for something so you know what revenues you will get right? If you budget for 29,000 worth of ticketing and catering rebates, you can budget for your expenditure too (staffing, etc).

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
The journo are just looking for something to write about. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. We had the EXACT same articles in the lead up to the trans-Tasman league test. They were estimating a crowd of less than 20k to that game, and the final crowd was well over 25k.​
The Wallabies really need to build some good momentum into the bledisloe tests, to get people excited about watching them play. Unlike us hardcore fans most casual fans did not watch them play on the EOYT and only remember their poor form in the tri-nations. Lets not forget the wallabies put in a woeful performance in their last game at Suncorp so it shouldn't surprise that the numbers are down (particularly when you take all of the other factors into account).​

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
All tests have meaning mate! This aint soccer, there is no such thing as a friendly in Rugby.

I didn't say they were "friendly", reality is they are part of package for TV rights which dictate "X" amount of tests are played.
The real stuff starts with Bledisloe.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't say they were "friendly", reality is they are part of package for TV rights which dictate "X" amount of tests are played.
The real stuff starts with Bledisloe.

It's a professional sport. Every match played is part of the package for TV rights.

The inbound tour gives the Southern Hemisphere sides preparation for the Rugby Championship.

Our end of year tour gives the Northern Hemisphere teams preparation for the 6 Nations.

They might not be as important as the Bledisloe Cup, but I think they are just as 'real'.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You budget for something so you know what revenues you will get right? If you budget for 29,000 worth of ticketing and catering rebates, you can budget for your expenditure too (staffing, etc).
Yeah, but that doesn't make it a good result.
Using that logic,if they budget 3,000 to attend a Bled Test,and they get 3,000.
That's also a good result?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, but that doesn't make it a good result.
Using that logic,if they budget 3,000 to attend a Bled Test,and they get 3,000.
That's also a good result?

no, but they wouldnt budget for 3,000 to a Bledisloe.

I would hope when they did their forecasting that the ARU would have been conservative when you consider the above items already discussed, plus the test on the Gold Coast (which will rely heavily on the traditional Brisbane fan base rather than the non-traditional GC folk).

So a budget of 30,000 for this game, probably 20,000 for the GC and a close to fullhouse for the Bledisloe seems reasonable to me.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
There has been almost no advertising done for this game. If they can't even afford to get some ads on FTA TV then things are worse than imagined. Part of it may be that France would be the worst draw card of the Irish/Welsh/Poms as well. All the more reason to work a bit harder. It can't be that hard to get some highlights of France giving it to the ABs in the RWC final to get people to realise this is not a shit team and are worth watching.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Has there never been a Bledisloe or two origin games in Queensland before?

I read that in the article and find it to be a most curious excuse - as I am reasonably certain there have been Bledisloe and Origin games in Brisbane before.

2011 - we sealed our fate as the holders of the Tri-Nations cup for life then in 2012 we had that god awful draw with the darkness.

Status
Not open for further replies.