• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 19th August, ANZ Stadium Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Well just got home after being away and thought I would add some thoughts.
that was a hiding in the first degree, and although I was hoping the Wallabies would put up a good battle (being tied uo in rugby over here etc), at halftime I was quite happy if the ABs just cantered away with it, as I don't think anything will be done about Wallabies coaching team until somebody at the top realises just how bad they are!! Yes I believe the ABs switched off in 2nd half, you only had to see how relaxed their bench was.
Did the Wallabies actually have a back row playing? If they did they were bloody ineffective, in what world does anyone think it any good having that Hanigan on the field in a test match, he may be ok some day, but don't destroy his confidence etc by trying to make him into something he not ready to be yet ie; an international rugby player, one AB try he was actually hiding behind the goalpost upright or look like he was. Look at how Squire was brought in , learn how the squad plays etc so when you starting, you don't look out of your depth! And I think perhaps the midfield defence was some of the worst I have seen by a top tier nation for quite some time. Anyway all in all pretty poor by Wallabies, and hard to know how good ABs were1

Dan, you are exactly right. The first problem to be solved is the one at the top. It is clear as day now that Cheika does not know how to coach at this level, let alone being capable of identifying and selecting the best talent available. He has to go asap.

It is true also that the ABs were very relaxed in the second half yesterday, not just those on the bench but also all of them on the field of play.

If Squire was such a success, as he was, playing a wide game, then there is a real lesson there that Higgers should be playing 6 for the Wallabies. He is the player most likely to be able to play that same sort of game, has speed for a big man, can off load, make a break and most of all is an excellent lineout practitioner. Cheika really does have his in and out of favouritism players, and he should live and die by his selections. Were that the case, he would have been dead and buried as Wallabies' coach after the England tests last year.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I wouldn't hang larkham out to dry after a season. I'd give him until rwc on the basis that I don't want pulver anywhere near the selection of a new coach

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The defence was reasonable in the second half when TK came on.

I think it is pretty clear we will have a Beale and Kuridrani centre pairing next weekend after Kerevi got dragged at half time.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clear is not the word I'd use. Inevitable would be closer, but Beale should not be at 12. Any one of Hunt, Meakes or Hodge should be partnering TK in the centres. All will add a hell of a lot of starch to the backline defense, while Hunt and Meakes will not drop much in the way of attack while Hodge's big boot must be in there some where. Which all leaves KB (Kurtley Beale) on the bench at best.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Clear is not the word I'd use. Inevitable would be closer, but Beale should not be at 12. Any one of Hunt, Meakes or Hodge should be partnering TK in the centres. All will add a hell of a lot of starch to the backline defense, while Hunt and Meakes will not drop much in the way of attack while Hodge's big boot must be in there some where. Which all leaves KB (Kurtley Beale) on the bench at best.
Not really sure why anyone would drop our best player.

I wouldn't mind Beale at fullback but think he will remain at 12.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi needs to work on his defense and should be cut loose from the squad to do so. I hope he sorts it out because when on song in attack, we have no weapon like him.

Meakes and Kuindrani should be tried in the centres. Beale is the same as Kerevi in being a liability. Might be time to rethink excluding Cooper. Foley is just as much a liability as Cooper yet never seems accountable to them. I would like to see Hodge at 15. He has a good read on the game, a strong kicking game and good defense.

Back row is just dreadful. Individual players offer nothing and the dynamic is terrible. The dickhead who assembled this is simply not up to the required standard of coaching. Pigs will fly before numb nuts Cheika makes the changes that need to be made.

Front row needs work. Not bad but could be far better. Bring Kepu back. He scrums fine and has more punch in general play. Moore, nothing left to say really about why he shouldn't be there. Put him out to pasture for gods sake.

Seconds were fine though I love the morons knocking Simmons. He was collecting splinters in his arse on the pine when the damage was being done. Did you Pelicans not notice that?

Oh dear it really is a mess.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Watching Miller (7) for Norths makes it clear how much the Wallabies missed someone on the ball. All Blacks were much better able to slow the ball with Cane, Retallick, Read etc. all over the ball. We need a genuine fetcher in the back-row and not a 7 who can't perform the role properly because they're playing 8.Fardy at 6 would put more pressure on at the breakdown but really wishing Pocock could take time out of his meditation schedule or whatever it is he's doing and step in next week.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I'd like to see
9. Genia
10 Beale
11 Naivalu
12 Hunt (Meakes till he's fit)
13 Kuridrani
14 Folau
15 Hodge
Hodge to kick the shit out of it every time we're in our 40m.
Everyone to defend in their own position.
Beale has improved a lot since his last run at 10. Foley hasn't.
Much more starch in defence and still threats in attack.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Sio
TPN
AAA
Coleman
Arnold
Rodda
Hooper
Timani
Phipps
Foley
Speight
Meakes
TK
Folau
Beale

Robertson
Eh...
Kepu
Simmons i guess
McMahon
Powell
Hodge
DHP

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Sio
TPN
AAA
Coleman
Arnold
Rodda
Hooper
Timani
Phipps
Foley
Speight
Meakes
TK
Folau
Beale

Robertson
Eh.
Kepu
Simmons i guess
McMahon
Powell
Hodge
DHP

If you were going with Phipps and Powell as 9s, I'd start Powell. Phipps, if anything, suits the last 20 minutes better when his speed suits the lesser structure etc... Powell would be better at the other end, I reckon.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
OK, I've watched some of the stuff from FoxSports where they isolate Kerevi and his not getting in the line in defence, but in those videos he is repeatedly having to travel 20 and 30 metres laterally before getting into position.

I have to ask this: why the fuck are we asking a guy to run 20-30 metres laterally before he gets into position, whilst we have other wallabies ponderously walking around looking at the scoreboard on the other side of the field?

Furthermore, why the fuck are so many deriding a guy for his poor defence, when he has always been known to be poor in defence, yet others are still being lauded as saviours of Australian rugby when their defence was pretty much non existent.

I really do think that the All Blacks exploited what was a seriously underdone and poor defensive player in Kerevi, but Kuridrani was better largely because we have more ball in the second half which meant the defensive bullsit system was not exposed anymore.

Also, Kerevi looked unfit.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Watching Miller (7) for Norths makes it clear how much the Wallabies missed someone on the ball. All Blacks were much better able to slow the ball with Cane, Retallick, Read etc. all over the ball. We need a genuine fetcher in the back-row and not a 7 who can't perform the role properly because they're playing 8.Fardy at 6 would put more pressure on at the breakdown but really wishing Pocock could take time out of his meditation schedule or whatever it is he's doing and step in next week.

Alcock is probably an even better example. The way he filled in the gap with Pocock missing and the other attributes he brought in attack and general play are an asset.

But its all a moot point with Hooper blocking the way for real 7's.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
OK, I've watched some of the stuff from FoxSports where they isolate Kerevi and his not getting in the line in defence, but in those videos he is repeatedly having to travel 20 and 30 metres laterally before getting into position.

I have to ask this: why the fuck are we asking a guy to run 20-30 metres laterally before he gets into position, whilst we have other wallabies ponderously walking around looking at the scoreboard on the other side of the field?

Furthermore, why the fuck are so many deriding a guy for his poor defence, when he has always been known to be poor in defence, yet others are still being lauded as saviours of Australian rugby when their defence was pretty much non existent.

I really do think that the All Blacks exploited what was a seriously underdone and poor defensive player in Kerevi, but Kuridrani was better largely because we have more ball in the second half which meant the defensive bullsit system was not exposed anymore.

Also, Kerevi looked unfit.

Exactly! Why have the guy who is not the best positional defender / reader in defence running as the sweeper / cover defence? Makes no sense.

K

KAOPointman

Foley is still our best option at 10 from a pretty shallow talent pool. The player we missed most last night was KHunt at 12 - terrific defender, great talker, runs hard at the line with ball in hand but can also slot in as 2nd playmaker with his deft passing and kicking game. In his absence Hodge to 12, TK 13, KB (Kurtley Beale) 22.
You know people keep saying that..."he's our best option" but I believe that to be utter garbage. It's just not reality....
Did you see the game assessment on Foley a few pages back? Thoughts??? I'll quote it here again..........

Once again I see a blind eye being turned towards one of the Key roles."playmaker".(FOLEY) A role only Beale showed adept at at all during the game!!!

SO..here we go again. I promised this would happen again! here's my assessment of "BERNARD FOLEYS" impacts in this game, both good and bad. Feel free to debate them..but please remain calm at all times ;)

4th min. Foley kicks penalty from directly in front. Nothing earth shattering.

10th min. Despite commentators saying the wallabies were outnumbered.they were NOT...Speight moved up to make a pressurising tackle...leaving Kerevi to move across to cover his number....which HE DID.(Kerevi on Ioane). Foley didn't trust his inside man(now Kerevi).he came in off the winger and allowed Squire to run past him! Defensive 101 fail from Foley pure and simple!

15th min. Foley kicks another easy penalty!

First 20 mins.no attacking impact from foley..plenty from Beale/Folau and a bit from Rona and Kerevi, with Genia providing quick ball with about 60% Wallaby possession.

21st min Foley stuffs up cleaning up a loose ball...flicks it straight in front of Beale for another AB runaway try! (Some of you will say "but he didn't throw the first loose pass"...No he didn't, but he did get to that loose pass 1ST and choose to flick a stupid no look rubbish ball to no one..remember he's our "playmaker who should have great hands and make great spare of the moment calls"). Moving on...

23rd min. Foley somehow attempts the most inept/half hearted high ball catch attempt this year...with no one coming through behind with catching priority within 10m, it was 1000%always his catch! VERY poor.again!

26th min. Foley drops a classic contested highball, but is saved by it going backwards and the refs modern interpretation being rather pedantic about mid air contact that takes away any Folou like expectation when catching a highball in traffic! Not a massive deal..but worth noting if a easy kick in front my grandma could make makes it on his highlights reel..and it does.

Half time. Not much of note in the last 15 mins with very little Aus ball.

42nd min. Foley slips over and gets stepped while making a desperate covering tackle after a Ioane break. Seconds earlier he tripped making a regulation pass turning it into a "dive pass". (In case you missed that one)

46th min. Foley passes a hospital pass short ball to Coleman leading to a turnover.

52nd min. Foley plays no role in Rona try. He converts another easy kick!

55th min. Foley at least passes out for the Tevita Folou show to unfold for their try!(grasping at straws to involve him in that one)

60th min. Foley once again(with ABs on the back foot) throws a weird cut out ball to no one in particular, that leaves Simmons taking the blame for having to reach up and behind himself 60ft in the air and knocking on(Yes, that's a pass from our wallaby "playmaker")

61st min. Foley converts kurtleys try with a good kick from out wide. Now 5 from 5.

64th min. Foley passes a pretty slick short ball, but unfortunately not into any space.

66th min. Foley makes another ok switch play...but slips over leaving the man on his inside.Hooper, too run to the break down which we then loose. Without slipping over Foley would clearly have been the closest player and could have at least helped clean out ALBrown.(everyone else was either dummy runners and past the play, inside or outside the set play too far to help. Definitely Foley could have contributed to keeping possession without slipping over! (I inderstand crud happens...but once again, he's not a lock or a tired prop...he's supposed to be a dependable skilful athlete) and if you watch the replay, Foley actual gets up.sees the ruck being dominated and starts pointing at the forwards 5m to his right to get in there..nothing much on its own but once again it seems to be adding up and showing a theme!

68th min. Foley throws an UGLY, RISKY pass that floats into no mans land.AGAIN..and gets a lucky try assist involvement from a good pickup from Folau
Converts try for a 6/6.

70th min. Foley performs a crazy chip n chase 1m from our try line...:0 with no chasers...luckily he gets taken out.. ;)

74th min. Foley chucks his hands in the air and stops chasing hard after a AB linebreak with a forward pass...the point being he's the only wallaby not playing the whistle. Luckily it gets pulled back..maybe some extra attitude lessons during the week for him.. :)

76th min Foley gets charged down 1m out.gets veery lucky, saves a Barret try..
Game over

This time I've explained each moment in more detail to prevent the sheep who actual havnt even seen the game making uneducated digs about the incidents! And please remember...this is my critique on Foleys performance...no one else.win or loose.

Overall I loved this game. Wallabies looked good first 15 and most of the second half..a few lapses in concentration costing dearly in the first half. Speight was awesome. Reiko was awesome and Beale Rona and Kuridrani made impacts. AB back row was crazy in the first half! I think wallabies bench performed better for a refreshing change. (Bar Robinson.I don't get why he's fancied at all..but hey, I'm a backs guy)Bring on next week :) :)

I'll leave this parting comment..one I've made many times here before..."If that was Quade playing like that.he'd never play again
KAOPointman, Today at 1:33 AM EditDeleteReport#538Reply
Dismal Pillock, louie, jollyswagman and 1 other person like this.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Exactly! Why have the guy who is not the best positional defender / reader in defence running as the sweeper / cover defence? Makes no sense.

The 9 is more usual in that position I would have thought.

There seemed to be a shit load of people being hidden away for some reason.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I've historically been a big fan of Cooper's, but he appeared to be lacking both fitness and confidence IMO. And his defence has regressed to a point where he is regularly gives penalties and is a constant card risk. He doesn't seem intent to try and correct his technique. I just struggle to suggest he should be rewarded
with a test jersey.

For mine, Foley had been a lock in as the only option standing.

I must admit, I've come to the point where I'd be willing to give another option a go.

K

KAOPointman

Kerevi needs to work on his defense and should be cut loose from the squad to do so. I hope he sorts it out because when on song in attack, we have no weapon like him.

Meakes and Kuindrani should be tried in the centres. Beale is the same as Kerevi in being a liability. Might be time to rethink excluding Cooper. Foley is just as much a liability as Cooper yet never seems accountable to them. I would like to see Hodge at 15. He has a good read on the game, a strong kicking game and good defense.

Back row is just dreadful. Individual players offer nothing and the dynamic is terrible. The dickhead who assembled this is simply not up to the required standard of coaching. Pigs will fly before numb nuts Cheika makes the changes that need to be made.

Front row needs work. Not bad but could be far better. Bring Kepu back. He scrums fine and has more punch in general play. Moore, nothing left to say really about why he shouldn't be there. Put him out to pasture for gods sake.

Seconds were fine though I love the morons knocking Simmons. He was collecting splinters in his arse on the pine when the damage was being done. Did you Pelicans not notice that?

Oh dear it really is a mess.
I agree with everything you say espescially about Quade.....as he's barely had ten mins of rugby from chieka wether it be playing the ABs or minows ever since the WC and this year.....Foley just gets all the game time........ZERO depth being used there.
But I 100% dissagree with you and most here who are asking for Kerevis head! He's been our number 1 or 2 weapon all year so far and last nite it was lazy commentating that is swaying a lot of people's views on his performance.

EG. Squires first try was half blamed on Kerevi despite him moving across to cover someone who rushed up. FOLEY then failed to trust his inside team members and came in off the winger when in actual fact Kerevi made the ground to easily tackle Foleys inside man.

Let's not forget once again FOLEY is defending on the wing here...and fails simple rugby......and I've not heard a soul mention it. Blind fans or blind faith! Or is it easier to blame the new guy......as in fact FOLEY does himself when HE falls over and as the closest to the breakdown.....no doubt contributes heavily to the ensuring turn over due to no clean out. FOLEY gets up pointing his finger at his team mates to clean out when obviously FAAAR too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.